Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 tethering may be coming via a firmware update

I'm pretty excited if wired tethering were to end up happening on the K-3. Check out the video at the 5:00 mark:

Exclusive Pentax Interview at CP Plus 2015 - CP+ 2015 | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Forum Member

I hope they do wire tethering for the K-5IIs also.
02-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Very interesting. Is this the rumoured firmware update that we have heard about? Should be interesting.

Great interview by the way.
02-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter

is this the update that might bring in super resolution?

Either way, wired tether will be great!!

02-13-2015, 12:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

They talk about the super resoulution and it sounds like this will not happen?

Is it not possible to tethter the K5-ii with PK_Tether – Tethering Software for Pentax DSLR Cameras ?
02-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
They talk about the super resoulution and it sounds like this will not happen?

Is it not possible to tethter the K5-ii with PK_Tether – Tethering Software for Pentax DSLR Cameras ?

It is/should be possible:

News | PK_Tether – Tethering Software for Pentax DSLR Cameras

but that (K-5ii and K-5ii-s) also seems to be the last models supported.

Tether support for K-3 is definetly another story.
02-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Im sorry but I could barely understand what they were saying ? Was more interested in sensor size for the FF but that too seemed a very vague answer other than it will be Sony.
Tethering would be very nice for the K3 though.....even if it wasn't full tethering
02-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
It is/should be possible: News | PK_Tether – Tethering Software for Pentax DSLR Cameras but that (K-5ii and K-5ii-s) also seems to be the last models supported.
Thanks Guys. I will try it.

02-13-2015, 05:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It would be excellent news if they can get behind this and make it a standard thing going forward at least with flagship cameras. It's actually a good advertisement in a way that if people using Lightroom sees that there's a Pentax tethering plugin
02-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Great interview Adam.
02-13-2015, 10:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
It's actually a good advertisement in a way that if people using Lightroom sees that there's a Pentax tethering plugin
Tethering capabilities are no guaranty that Adobe will support it in Lightroom. I would be VERY surprised if they ever offer such for Pentax cameras.

Steve
02-13-2015, 11:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Tethering capabilities are no guaranty that Adobe will support it in Lightroom. I would be VERY surprised if they ever offer such for Pentax cameras.
I think Ricoh should make it available (as in open API) or have a talk with Adobe.
02-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I think Ricoh should make it available (as in open API) or have a talk with Adobe.
Adobe currently only supports tether for selected Nikon, Canon, and Leica cameras. How Leica got into the club is anyone's guess. None of those cameras feature an open API, but all support tethered operation using the maker's software. Note that tethered functionality is an intrinsic Lightroom feature and not a plugin. To be honest, I doubt that the plug-in API would support that range of functionality (OS level access to USB, camera-specific UI, and automated import).*

Steve

* I may have spoken out of turn since I have little knowledge of the plugin API.
02-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Adobe currently only supports tether for selected Nikon, Canon, and Leica cameras. How Leica got into the club is anyone's guess. None of those cameras feature an open API, but all support tethered operation using the maker's software. Note that tethered functionality is an intrinsic Lightroom feature and not a plugin. To be honest, I doubt that the plug-in API would support that range of functionality (OS level access to USB, camera-specific UI, and automated import).*

Steve

* I may have spoken out of turn since I have little knowledge of the plugin API.
It really doesn't matter how to achieve it from the end user's point of view. Ricoh already had to solve the issues to get tethering working with their own software. So a solution is there; however, making it more open will be great icing on the cake.

If it can't be completely open but if they can sign come kind of closed licensing deal with Adobe that will be fine too. LR users don't really care how it's done, but if it's supported, the brand will be seen by millions of LR user. It's, at minimum, a good PR. The Theta camera has SDK anyone can sign up to use; so Ricoh doesn't seem to be totally against openness. I think they needs to continue to ride on the momentum 645z has generated to get the name out there.
02-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

How Leica got into the club is anyone's guess.
My bet is the same way the other guys did.

$$$