Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's all good: the FF circus will distract Ricoh while I save up for the next APS-C release.

02-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
fps, AF.
I agree the K-3 is one of the best (if not the best) but people in general and press specially will tell you 7D mk2 (at least) is way way more better than a ..what? a Pentax? C'mon...
How much of the auto focus "issues" at this point are lens related, particularly SDM, and how much is camera body related. My bet is that we will see some significant improvements in Pentax performance noted with the new lens releases. I wonder if Pentax would be able to do some updates to other DA * lenses to make them speedier in this regard. My impression is that lenses like the DA *55 and 50-135 are just slow focusers and however awesome the software is that drives them, they aren't going to keep up with anything moving at any speed towards the photographer.
02-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-3 IS the high end ASP-C! I bought mine 2 months ago and love it. I don't think sales are off because of the FF announcement. There is always a post Christmas drop off. I don't expect to buy a FF when it appears largely because of the price. The money would be better used elsewhere. But that is me, and money would be no barrier to many others. So, get a K-3 if you want one. I really love mine.
02-14-2015, 08:14 AM - 3 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I don't think Ricoh wants to (inadvertently) promote the following message to newcomers:
"Buy our entry-level or mid-level APS-C cameras, then enhance your system with our DA and DA* small light lenses, then when you are ready for a top-end APS-C camera, we will force you to buy an FF camera and to replace all your DA and DA* lenses with D-FA lenses".
They don't want Canon to sue them for stealing their corporate motto.

02-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #35
Veteran Member

My guess is that the future successors to K3 comes in longer intervals. But Pentax can give us great firmware updates in the meantime.
I would like Pentax to come out with a fast and WR prime this year (like DA18/2, 21/1,4 or..) and a normal as 28/1,4WR. That and a big firmware update says that Pentax have trust in APS. I have all of the SMC limiteds for APS and their great, but were are the fast normal and fast wide primes with WR?
02-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I pre-ordered the K-3 and have had it since day one and every time I pick it up I'm reminded what an amazing piece of technology it is. I'm looking forward actually to the inevitable slow down of camera upgrades. I think the full frame direction shows that things have plateaued and 3 years is a reasonable amount of time between high end models.
02-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #37
Veteran Member

In my humble opinion ,K-3 replacement is probably ready. At CP+ the message was the new FF and the news lenses . The FF lauch probably will be in October , they will need to fill time with an announcement of the new K-3 in june or september.
That way the press can talk about Ricoh Pentax , every other months.

02-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
I'm looking forward actually to the inevitable slow down of camera upgrades.
Especially when they change button layouts - just about the time you develop muscle memory and a mental 'shooting process' you have to start learning all over again.
02-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
It's all good: the FF circus will distract Ricoh while I save up for the next APS-C release.
Same for me Dave.
02-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Especially when they change button layouts - just about the time you develop muscle memory and a mental 'shooting process' you have to start learning all over again.
And, with age, it gets harder and harder to keep up--that's what I hear anyway (at least that's what I thought I heard;~).
02-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
And, with age, it gets harder and harder to keep up--that's what I hear anyway (at least that's what I thought I heard;~).
Maybe it's just that as I've aged the Final Frontier doesn't seem as far away as it did 20 years ago - and I just don't want to take the time to learn again.
02-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #42

For my needs at least, the K3 seems like the perfect camera. My only problem is that it sells for 200 more and in euro here. 750$ vs 950€
02-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #43
Veteran Member

In my area (EU), the official dealer sells K3 with almost 1100usd equivalent
02-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Solaire Quote
For my needs at least, the K3 seems like the perfect camera. My only problem is that it sells for 200 more and in euro here. 750$ vs 950€
Make a friend in the US and have them visit you sometime, bringing an extra K-3 camera!
02-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I don't understand the reasoning behind your remark?
I mean the price is so low now profit margins must be close to null,and I think many will go for a K3 rather than the new KS2,at about the same price.Maybe the lens sales will make up the losses,till the FF comes out. But maybe the FF,with crop function,will be all that is needed..best of both worlds in one body--if 50MP FF 24MP crop