Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 09:28 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The coming FF and lenses will be lots to handle for Pentax.

There is also no reason to jump to a new high end apsc dslr for this year.
The K3 is competitive against the competition.
It's had stay in launch also means that it can sell for a very good price vs the others.

There is also very little real big improvements to bring to the table.
I would rather wait a year.

02-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #47

It would be absolutely stupid to bring out a successor to the K-3 until late spring, 2016. Why? There will be a ton of used K-3 bodies on the market once the FF comes out. This will drove the price of them down so low that any K-3 successor won't sell well. Ricoh had no choice but to announce the FF to stop losing customers, and this will hurt current K-3 sales.
02-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote
It would be absolutely stupid to bring out a successor to the K-3 until late spring, 2016. Why? There will be a ton of used K-3 bodies on the market once the FF comes out.
I think that's a gross overstatement. For one, not all Pentax users own a K-3. Secondly, I doubt most people will dump their APS-C system and have FF exclusively. 24MP of crop is a lot more than the FF will provide in crop mode.
02-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
I mean the price is so low now profit margins must be close to null,and I think many will go for a K3 rather than the new KS2,at about the same price.Maybe the lens sales will make up the losses,till the FF comes out. But maybe the FF,with crop function,will be all that is needed..best of both worlds in one body--if 50MP FF 24MP crop
I think their profit margins are fine. Remember new releases are priced to recoup RnD costs from early adopters.

02-15-2015, 12:14 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps we shall see some tech from FF going into the APS-C. You never know with Pentax. But I am absolutely certain the APS-C camera that refreshes the K-3 will be amazing. Speaking of that, I see nothing wrong with curent K-3. To me, it is the best crop camera in the universe. Truly splendid.
So shut up and get yourself a bargain called K-3.
02-15-2015, 12:34 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
One area (but I doubt it much) they could upgrade the K3 would be Video (e.g. codecs and bitrates) +af upgrade +Video SR.
02-15-2015, 02:45 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I think that's a gross overstatement. For one, not all Pentax users own a K-3. Secondly, I doubt most people will dump their APS-C system and have FF exclusively. 24MP of crop is a lot more than the FF will provide in crop mode.
I think Ricoh know that by far most of the cameras and lenses they will sell over the next several years will be APS-C, not FF.

I hope that Ricoh will primarily think of their K-mount products as though they are two separate ranges: a K-APS-C range which is comprehensive, and at the top end capable of high quality work; and a K-FF range which is beyond that, for the subset of their K-mount customer base who are prepared to make a large new investment.

I hope Ricoh don't see the K-FF range as something that K-APS-C users need to upgrade to in order to do high quality photography. After all, the K-APS-C range will have size and weight advantages that means it deserves a long life in its own right. (Quite apart from prices which most K-APS-C users won't be prepared to pay in their lifetimes).

Ricoh don't cripple the Q range to force people to "upgrade" to the K range. They won't crippled the K range to force people to "upgrade" to the 645 range. I don't think they need to "cripple or restrict" the K-APS-C range to force people to "upgrade" to the K-FF range.They could promote them as separate ranges with massive cross-over opportunities.
02-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nikon and Canon continue to have both a FF and ASP-C line. As will Pentax/Ricoh when the FF appears. A great many people will not want to spend the money on a professional body, but will buy a K-5, K-3, or mirror less, etc. the advantage Pentax has is that k mount lenses are useable on all. Sales of ASP-C etc will not slow when FF is released as long as they are a good value as at present.

02-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #54
Forum Member

They need to make a k3 with Wi-Fi. It's one thing that really annoys me when I read up about the ks2. I don't care much for the improved video support on the ks2. Great, but not my thing.

Wi-Fi however, we will be stuck with a flu card... I'm not paying £80 for mediocre Wi-Fi and substandard tether control. I seriously hope the prices on flu cards drop with the release of the ks2. Keeping us in the stone age unless we pay extortionate amounts is not right.
02-16-2015, 03:05 AM   #55
Pentaxian

I use a Toshiba FlashAir card for wireless image transfer, which is all I want to do with WiFi on a camera. The 32 gig card cost around a third of what the 16 gig Flu card does.
02-16-2015, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter

There are several things Ricoh could do to improve on the K-3, but I can't see anything that would make me upgrade within the next few years. Of course, they might bring out something fantastic that I haven't imagined possible - I wouldn't complain if they did

Things I would see as "nice to have":
- de-crippled KAF
- get back possibility to use CIF with back-button focus as on the K-5
- re-programmable video toggle switch! Would be nice to make it do something useful
- configurable colour for focus peaking
- flip-out screen for macro use (645Z type, not K-S2 type)
- get back the possibility to configure composition adjust to the Fx button (as we could on the K-5)
- tethering would be nice even if I won't need it
- high-res pictures by use of SR (not sure I'd ever use it, though)
- even better AF (but hey, it's already very good for what I need)
- even better high ISO - can never have enough

Things I couldn't care less about:
- WiFi. Never understood the point, not unless it's speedy enough for fast wireless tethering
- GPS. I see the point for astro photography, but for geo-tagging? Meh. Don't want extra cost and bulk for that.
- Video is just not for me
- Green mode

But these are all nitpicks. I'm fully aware of the fact that not everybody will agree with me, and that Ricoh must cater for as many as they can. Which means I will have to accept having video on the camera. No biggie.
02-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #57
Pentaxian

The best things ricoh could do for the K-3 II is an articulating (touch)screen, sensor based phase detect AF for video and live view. wifi, add the hr an clarity modes and it will be a killer.
02-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #58
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I use a Toshiba FlashAir card for wireless image transfer, which is all I want to do with WiFi on a camera. The 32 gig card cost around a third of what the 16 gig Flu card does.
I've looked at that card you mention, do you find it's worthy?

It does seem like good value
02-16-2015, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The K-S2 is the new mid-range, and is pointing the way forward with its articulating screen and built-in wifi. I'm guessing the K3 replacement will have both of those
Let's hope not...

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
yes the layout of the K-S1/2 will go forward into K-3II or K-S3 maybe it will be called
See above...

Steve
02-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
I've looked at that card you mention, do you find it's worthy?

It does seem like good value
It works great and writes files pretty quickly too.