Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #1

Comparison question for K3 owners

Just discovered this K3 specific discussion forum. I'm sure almost everything has been discussed at one time or another, but I hope you'll bear with me for another question.

I'm a Pentax newcomer with a K50, two kit lenses, and a 55-300WR. The kits will get little use since I'm absolutely buying the 18-135mm WR. I know from past experience that this purchase will lead to purchase of another body. I'll find that I'm not willing to change from 18-135 to the longer zoom and vice versa, especially when I'm in the National Parks photographing large animals and scenery.

I can buy the K5iis and a the 18-135mm for $846 at B&H or Amazon. I can buy the K3 with the battery holder and 18-135mm for $1079 at B&H, with $40 rewards. Either camera is within my budget. I love my K50, by the way.

So, my question is, especially to former K5iis owners, do you have a strong preference for either camera? Could you share some of your thoughts with me, please.

Thanks,...Jack

02-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 and K-50 make a nice pair, if you want to work with two bodies. The pair will give you two sensors and that is a benefit IMHO. There are some situtations when a sensor may work better than another. That would be my recommendation, over K-5ii + K-50 (same sensor).

However you will find that good glass is more important than the body. Consider primes as indeed Pentax offers one of the best line-up of superb primes (below 100mm focal range) across all brands. I continue to use my old K-7 with FA Limited and the old girl delivers great shots with FA31mm and FA77mm, for example.

My 5 cents.
02-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I upgraded from a K-50 to a K-3. The K-50 with 18-135 is a really great combo. I wouldn't upgrade the camera unless you really need more megapixels or specific features of the K-3 that the K-50 doesn't have. If you want better image quality, you could upgrade the lenses. The K-50 is a wonderful camera and the K-3 will be cheaper in a year.
02-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the K3 you will get better auto focus which day to day makes a huge difference. Really no matter the lens, the K3 makes it a better lens because of a superior AF system. And plus if it is a dimly lit place... the K3 will show it's value over the K5.

The other part that is superior on the K3 is you have more resolution. 24mp allows for a heck of a lot more cropping and all that.

For these reasons alone it is worth getting the K3. It's just a pleasure to shoot with. Not like the K5 isn't but the K3 is just better if you ask me.

02-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the K3 has more resolution than the K30. However, I suspect the biggest improvement in sharpness is due to the removal of the AA filter. It's quite a startling change.
02-14-2015, 02:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hello Folks,....great input so far. Thanks! Each of you have provided me with some food for thought. If I get the K3, or a K5iis, my loose plan would be to primarily use the 18-135mm on the K50 and the 55-300mm WR on the larger body. Most of my cropping would be from 300mm shots.

I have no complaints about the image quality I'm getting from the K50 but am encouraged to hear that the removal of the AA filter gives an actual improvement in IQ, not just theoretical improvement.

Jack
02-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi, Jack. Another Jack here. I have both a IIs and a K-3. Both bring a lot to the table. K-3 brings improvement in just about all areas. Ricoh listened to forum users and gave us just about everything we bitched about. Image quality is the one facet where some people think the 5 series excels. Yes, there is more luminance noise with the K-3 given identical shooting conditions but it is very easy to get rid of in post-processing. The increased sharpness of the K-3 over the IIs is all to do with the higher sensor pixel count given that neither have an AA filter. The K-3 is a more capable machine in that it includes more shooting modes, etc. Either one would be a worthy camera.

Jack
02-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since you are considering the 18-135 I would recommend The K3 for its superior high ISO ability. I have the K3 and the 18-135. This lens is a great walk around lens but suffers wide open a bit. Stopped down the lens is awesome, but this requires either a slower shutter speed or higher ISO. The K3 can easily go all the way to ISO 3200 without any loss.

02-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Hi, Jack. Another Jack here. I have both a IIs and a K-3. Both bring a lot to the table. K-3 brings improvement in just about all areas. Ricoh listened to forum users and gave us just about everything we bitched about. Image quality is the one facet where some people think the 5 series excels. Yes, there is more luminance noise with the K-3 given identical shooting conditions but it is very easy to get rid of in post-processing. The increased sharpness of the K-3 over the IIs is all to do with the higher sensor pixel count given that neither have an AA filter. The K-3 is a more capable machine in that it includes more shooting modes, etc. Either one would be a worthy camera.

Jack
Jack,...thanks for the direct comparison. I'm just about convinced to go with the K3. Since I buy and sell cameras frequently, it might even hold it's value a tad better, being a newer model. One small thing I do like about the K3 on paper is the red button to start and stop video. Often when photographing animals in the park, I like to shoot a quick video clip to narrate where I am and what I'm seeing.
Jack

---------- Post added 02-14-15 at 02:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Since you are considering the 18-135 I would recommend The K3 for its superior high ISO ability. I have the K3 and the 18-135. This lens is a great walk around lens but suffers wide open a bit. Stopped down the lens is awesome, but this requires either a slower shutter speed or higher ISO. The K3 can easily go all the way to ISO 3200 without any loss.
Thanks for that input. High ISO is important to me, especially for early mornnings in Teton Park when we sometimes encounter Moose right on the road. I appreciate all the comments from members. If I get the K3, which is looking more likely, it will be fun to participate in this forum.

Jack
02-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have a K5II and a K3....,,,i don't reach for the K5II at all anymore....usability, focus etc all put the K3 ahead..... main issue when comparing these cameras is that you are comparing good (K5 variants) with very good ( K3).......IMV

Sometimes when I shoot with two cameras ( such as at a wedding recently)......normal people think the photos are great..... independant of what camera they were taken with. Assuming focus is good.....a good shot will be a good shot independant of which one of these two bodies I used......K3 will get focus right more often though.

For high ISO work consider DXO and it's prime noise reduction option (I use it for all ISO 1600 plus shots)

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-14-2015 at 04:02 PM.
02-14-2015, 04:13 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I have a K5II and a K3....,,,i don't reach for the K5II at all anymore....usability, focus etc all put the K3 ahead..... main issue when comparing these cameras is that you are comparing good (K5 variants) with very good ( K3).......IMV

Sometimes when I shoot with two cameras ( such as at a wedding recently)......normal people think the photos are great..... independant of what camera they were taken with. Assuming focus is good.....a good shot will be a good shot independant of which one of these two bodies I used......K3 will get focus right more often though.

For high ISO work consider DXO and it's prime noise reduction option (I use it for all ISO 1600 plus shots)
Thanks, Noelpolar. Another direct comparison that I was looking for. I'm not much of a pixel peeper and do very little post processing,.....for me a lot of it is just getting good results from a camera that's fun to use. I'm thinking the K3 has so many features that it would be a blast to learn and use.
Jack