Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
It's really fast and easy. Move the switch on the lower left side of the mirror box to the MF position.

Partly I'm posting to be educated. Why would you want to disable SDM driven AF?
Because there are 5 lenses that have both SDM and screw drive. When SDM fails on these they don't automatically use screw drive, you have to trick the camera into thinking the lens lacks SDM by reprogramming the lens rom.

10-06-2019, 05:03 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Because there are 5 lenses that have both SDM and screw drive. When SDM fails on these they don't automatically use screw drive, you have to trick the camera into thinking the lens lacks SDM by reprogramming the lens rom.
Okay, got it. "When" not "If". And twigging the software is cheaper than repairing or replacing the lens. I'm sure somebody has an answer to this, but why not just dab a little insulating lacquer on the SDM contacts on the lens? I think this is the power and one of the data pins. With no power/data connection to the body, wouldn't the lens automatically use the screw drive? (become a KAF mount rather than a KAF2)
10-06-2019, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, got it. "When" not "If". And twigging the software is cheaper than repairing or replacing the lens. I'm sure somebody has an answer to this, but why not just dab a little insulating lacquer on the SDM contacts on the lens? I think this is the power and one of the data pins. With no power/data connection to the body, wouldn't the lens automatically use the screw drive? (become a KAF mount rather than a KAF2)
Disabling the power has no effect on the camera using screw drive. That "fix" was first tried many years ago with zero effect.

---------- Post added 10-06-19 at 12:35 PM ----------

Also to be fair, quite a few SDM lenses work fine and never die in normal use. It isn't clear what percentage of the lenses fail or how frequently. Some of the examples of these lenses however have failed more than twice... .
10-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like the KA2 mount has one more data pin near the edge of the flange than the KA mount. I'm not surprised that power only doesn't do it. But bet insulating that extra pin would. On the other hand, it might turn the lens into a non-AF KA lens too.

10-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like the KA2 mount has one more data pin near the edge of the flange than the KA mount. I'm not surprised that power only doesn't do it. But bet insulating that extra pin would. On the other hand, it might turn the lens into a non-AF KA lens too.
You are hashing old ground. I suspect the detailed discussions are still on the forum but I think you are correct in thinking that disabling the data pin simply renders the lens like an M series. Not a solution I would want to use.
10-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You would have to insulate ALL the data pins to turn a lens into a K (M) mount. A number of the pins communicate the lens' aperture range to the body for the 'A' setting. I was suggesting insulating only the additional data pin that appeared with the KA2 mount along with the power contacts.

None the less, point taken. This topic has likely been beat to a dead horse elsewhere in the Forum.
10-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You would have to insulate ALL the data pins to turn a lens into a K (M) mount. A number of the pins communicate the lens' aperture range to the body for the 'A' setting. I was suggesting insulating only the additional data pin that appeared with the KA2 mount along with the power contacts.

None the less, point taken. This topic has likely been beat to a dead horse elsewhere in the Forum.
The other pins are not "data" driven in that they only encode the static aperture information in a way that is passively read by which are shorted and un-shorted. There is no active communication over any of the pins other than the 1 pin in question. Without the 1 pin, no af and no focal length info etc. The lens could be considered a KA rather than a K or M lens I guess. I forget this because I have had some modern FA lenses that died in a such a way they became M series (A type automation no longer read and no AF).

10-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

It's really fast and easy. Move the switch on the lower left side of the mirror box to the MF position.

Some times the SDM motor completely fails, which leaves a dead lens, converting to screw drive means you can still use the lens.

Other times like my 50-135 SDM, it would take 3-6 mins to start focusing (which is a lifetime in the middle of a photoshoot), and I was tired of the song and dance I had to do to get it to awaken.

Finally, some people felt that screw drive is also slightly faster than the SDM focusing.
10-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Finally, some people felt that screw drive is also slightly faster than the SDM focusing.
I might be in that camp also.
10-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I might be in that camp also.
Having converted a lot of lenses... Some working at least partially I'm not so sure. My own working lenses were my first conversions. I never found them to be faster focusing but that's when the lenses were working as expected. As sdms age, then they seem to slow down and start focus hunting which makes them look slower than when they are working at their best.
11-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Some times the SDM motor completely fails, which leaves a dead lens, converting to screw drive means you can still use the lens.

Other times like my 50-135 SDM, it would take 3-6 mins to start focusing (which is a lifetime in the middle of a photoshoot), and I was tired of the song and dance I had to do to get it to awaken.

My 16-50 sdm died after using less than 3 years & I didn't use it for 2 years. Then one guy in our local Pentax forum said he can disable the sdm & he used my K20 to do it. My 16-50 came back to life & I have been using it for the last 4 years
11-17-2019, 08:54 PM   #27
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To change the lens to screw drive AF when the SDM motor fails. Some have reported the screw drive Af s faster.
11-25-2019, 04:25 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone know the newest camera that can be used to convert to screw drive? K-5 or K-7?
11-25-2019, 07:11 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know the k-5 works per thread reports. I'm not sure if it works without the use of pktether. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning converting using a k-7.