Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Shooting in Manual Mode with Auto ISO

I saw a YouTube video about some DSLR cameras being able to photograph using manual mode but set the ISO on auto so that your shutter speed and aperture stay the same and your ISO changes with the light. Can this be done on the K-3?

Thanks,
BrianS.

02-14-2015, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Yes. It's called TAv and it's a Pentax exclusive.
02-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you, I will check that out.

BrianS.
02-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #4

Its my favorite mode and a perfect staring place if you ever used manual film cameras.

02-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only difference I think between TAv mode (Pentax) and Manual with auto-ISO (others) is that in TAv mode, EV compensation is taken into consideration in metering where manual is manual (at least in Pentax world)... I could be wrong....
02-15-2015, 05:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

A very useful setting. I use it when chasing butterflies using a 100mm macro. I know I have to be around f8 for the necessary dof, 1/500 is the minimum for shutter speed considering my shaky hands and the subject not sitting still. So I set those and let the camera determine the ISO, which is the one variable left. The only concern is too much light, which is solved by upping the shutter speed.

Btw other brands have it too, just not (always) as a separate program setting. On my Sony A7 I use it all the time. Set the program M and ISO to auto. Exposure compensation works too.
02-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The only difference I think between TAv mode (Pentax) and Manual with auto-ISO (others) is that in TAv mode, EV compensation is taken into consideration in metering where manual is manual (at least in Pentax world)... I could be wrong....
...except that auto-ISO is not available in M mode on the K-3.

For other current Pentax APS-C bodies, I believe that M mode with auto-ISO is a pass-through default to TAv mode. At least that is how the K-50 manual reads.

Steve
02-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...except that auto-ISO is not available in M mode on the K-3.

For other current Pentax APS-C bodies, I believe that M mode with auto-ISO is a pass-through default to TAv mode. At least that is how the K-50 manual reads.

Steve
Steve, you are correct, the only Pentax camera that implements manual with auto-ISO is the k-01, which I also have. I think Nikon's implementation of manual+auto-ISO is similar to that in k-01.