Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2015, 08:53 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ok had a reply from Tamron (well the repairer)...

Japan have advised me the A001P and A09P where developed long before live view was implemented and may not focus efficiently when used in live view and have advised to manually focus the lens when using this function. Optically adjusting these lenses can improve resolution which we can do but this will affect focus shift and only Japan has the tool for adjusting the focus shift on the Pentax version lenses, please note though this will not improve live view operation.

So I either manually focus (kind of impossible if I'm using liveview to get over crowds) or just ignore live view on these lenses.

As we only have the choice of the tamron (unless you can find an old decent sigma) 70-200 at a reasonable price, or the new pentax at a very high price, I guess i'm screwed either way!

Just playing with the pentax 16-45 and liveview focus speed is incredibly different (fast) compared to the tamrons... i'll see what i find..

Steve

02-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #17
Bep

I'm have a problem with my Tamron 17-50 2.8. Posted a image yesterday of Buttermilk Road ,shot at f11.
02-17-2015, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
That picture looks fairly sharp to me.. search on here about the softness discussions, more MP demands more from the user, there are quite a few discussions on here about how to help this..

Steve
02-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

If you tell me step by step what to do I would like to learn. I bought a used Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 for my K-3 a few months ago. I have not used it much. Seems okay. But I don't know for sure!

02-27-2015, 02:19 AM   #20

Original Poster
Hi David

Simply switch live view on, set aperture to f2.8 and take a picture of a focus chart at a low angle (as shown in my pictures) - or even simpler something like 5 AA batteries aligned diagonally across the plane of the lens, focus on the middle one (from a distance at 200mm) and take a shot.. see if any are in focus. on mine, depending on the spacing the front or rear would be in focus, but at larger focal distances that mis-focus appears to get into the meters range!

The only time I would use liveview is when i'm getting shots over peoples heads, if using liveview on a tripod I would likely manual focus anyway. I now just have to tweak the focus adjustment for a couple of the lenses to bring the PDAF focus into a better accuracy (this doesnt effect liveview tho)

Thanks

Steve
04-30-2018, 11:03 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by 5teve Quote
Edit - Would anyone else out there like to test the live view on a tamron lens, especially the 70-200?
I have tested the live view on the tamron 70 200 on my k3 - it was choppy and unusable , on my ks-1 it worked , slow but accurate. So it has to be a software issue. But it will be a miracle if we get any updates from Pentax for the k3.
06-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #22

I have problems with the Tamron 70-200 also. I have sent it in to be looked at under warranty and they said it was ok. Constantly fighting it. When it is on it's great, but most of the time it's focusing off into left field.

06-23-2018, 08:38 PM   #23

I have a similar problem with my K-3 and either my 18-55 kit lens or any of my manual m-series manual primes. The focus is consistently deep with the auto and the red square focus indicator flashes deep with the manuals. Is this a focus filter shim issue? Used to work fine, did I drop it or hit it into something without realizing it? Thoughts?
06-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Guys...

I'm in contact with a tamron repairer over here to see if there is such a thing as firmware updates on the 2 tamrons I have as they are screw drive lens about 4 years old, not the later motor versions (as there are no pentax vesions of these)

CR Kennedy are willing to take the camera and perform a full calibration on it to check it out, and I can get the Lens's set up and re-aligned at the local repairer for a fee. I'll persue the lens option first i think after checking out the 16-45.. will let you know the results of that testing... I may also do a factory reset on the camera... see if that solves anything

Steve

Edit - Would anyone else out there like to test the live view on a tamron lens, especially the 70-200?
My Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro (A001) definitely does not focus properly in Live View! PDAF works great but when Live View is used the focus is never right, My understanding is that you "MIGHT" be able to get it correct if you send your lens and camera to Tamron but there is no guarantee. Manual focus in Live View works OK on my K-3 but CDAF has never worked. I stopped worrying about it long ago.

Larry
06-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok had a reply from Tamron (well the repairer)...

Japan have advised me the A001P and A09P where developed long before live view was implemented and may not focus efficiently when used in live view and have advised to manually focus the lens when using this function. Optically adjusting these lenses can improve resolution which we can do but this will affect focus shift and only Japan has the tool for adjusting the focus shift on the Pentax version lenses, please note though this will not improve live view operation.

So I either manually focus (kind of impossible if I'm using liveview to get over crowds) or just ignore live view on these lenses.
I don't understand this answer. Conceptually, CDAF is supposed to work the same as what we do with manual focus - turn ring to left until image goes from sharp to less sharp, turn ring to right until image goes from sharp to less sharp.... keep doing this process looking for point of maximal sharpness.
06-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't understand this answer. Conceptually, CDAF is supposed to work the same as what we do with manual focus - turn ring to left until image goes from sharp to less sharp, turn ring to right until image goes from sharp to less sharp.... keep doing this process looking for point of maximal sharpness.
He is referring to CDAF not live view manual focus.

Larry