Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2015, 02:22 AM   #1

Noisy LV

What makes a constant noise with LV on? You may hear it even when SR is off and camera body iron-fixed on a tripod.

02-18-2015, 02:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SR mechanism still makes a little bit of noise to keep the sensor locked in place.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-18-2015, 02:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Yes I have often noticed that. I think what it is (someone will correct me if I am wrong), the electrical actuators holding the sensor in position. If its not held in position then it just flops about (which why people often report hearing loose parts when they shake their cameras!).
02-18-2015, 03:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
But it makes no sound when you are in a camera viewer view mode, not in LV.
Why the difference?

02-18-2015, 03:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I would guess that when using OVF the sensor locks in place when you press the shutter button or something similar.
02-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

On some models there is an option "SR on always" (with live view) or "SR only at moment of capture". The second one will be quiet, but the view in the LCD may be more shaky as it is not stabilized until you hit the shutter.
02-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I would take a look at the anti aliasing simulator to see if it's turned on.
02-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

So if the SR mechanism is still activated and makes a noise even when turned off [to keep sensor plate locked in place] then the claim that mechanical SR is too noisy to use in Video mode [hence the IQ destroying software SR forced on us] is just a pile of horse manure..

02-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
So if the SR mechanism is still activated and makes a noise even when turned off [to keep sensor plate locked in place] then the claim that mechanical SR is too noisy to use in Video mode [hence the IQ destroying software SR forced on us] is just a pile of horse manure..
On the K-5 it was kind of noisy if you moved arround alot but it gave you a really steady shot. Not this crap that the K-3 gives you.
02-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yes, but what I'm saying is that if it still makes a noise when set to OFF, then there's not point to software SR after all, so the mention of 'noise' as the reason for not using mechanical SR in video mode isn't right.
FYI: I never noticed any noise on the K-7 when using SR with video. And it was really silky smooth SR too.

In any case, SR isn't to smooth out violent movement, only hand jitter.
02-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Are you sure it isn't the aperture adjusting? Watch the aperture setting to see if its changing. There is an audible noise when this happens.
02-20-2015, 12:45 AM   #12

Original Poster
You are right with the aperture setting sound. THX for that finding, as I did not notice that sound before. But there is also a constant sound like fan/vent. Actually it sounds like notebook fan. At first I was curious if there is a fan inside K-3 body (to cool the image sensor?).

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
Are you sure it isn't the aperture adjusting? Watch the aperture setting to see if its changing. There is an audible noise when this happens.