Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #1

Releasing when charging in continous mode.

K-3 + AF540FGZ, TAv, P-TTL, training curtain sync or HSS.
I've set-up focus priority in the menu, as well as not releasing when charging (flash). That settings work as expected in a single-shot mode, but when in continuous shooting mode (slow, medium or fast) camera releases even when flash is charging, resulting in a flash firing every 3-7 shot
Does the Release when charging: Off menu setting not work in a continuous-shooting mode?

02-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The question is what do you want it to happen?
02-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As far as I know, the continuous shooting mode will overrule the "not releasing when charging" setting... after all... you do want to be continuous no!?
Waiting for the flash to charge will not really make it continuous...

If you still want flash, then you might want to upgrade to a better, more expensive flash unit that will allow you continuous shooting as well. These usually come with their own battery packs.
02-20-2015, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
Does the Release when charging: Off menu setting not work in a continuous-shooting mode?
It does not work with an external flash...built-in flash only (manual page 24)

Steve

02-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It does not work with an external flash...built-in flash only (manual page 24)

Steve
+1 yes the camera menu controls camera flash function only, it does not know when external flash is ready or not.
If you need quicker flash response for continuous you may be better off setting the 540 to manual and 1/x power to get more flashes in a row, but then you still have to wait for it to recharge when it is spent.
For quicker recharge you can use an external power pack.
02-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
Answer: Continous shooting as a 'focus-bracketing mode for the poor', especially with moving subject (children, pets)
BTW I cannot understand why so refined camera as K-3 does not offer focus-bracketing. Hope for K-3 II coming
The camera reads external flash has been charged or not (at least there is 'flash ready' info in camera viewfinder). Software-wise no difference

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The question is what do you want it to happen?
02-20-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The camera reads external flash has been charged or not (at least there is 'flash ready' info in camera viewfinder)
You are correct thanks for pointing that out.

I too wish for focus bracketing.

Note custom menu option 20 states "Disables shutter release while charging the built-in flash."

02-20-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
it does not know when external flash is ready or not
The camera reads external flash has been charged or not (at least there is 'flash ready' info in camera viewfinder). Software-wise no difference
The flash will signal ready (Pentax dedicated flash feature since late 1970s), but the K-3 does not act on this signal to gate the shutter except for with the built-in flash. This is the documented behavior.

As for your (fedup)...Pentax does not offer automated focus stacking, but then again, I don't believe any current dSLR offers native support for this feature. Can you expand on your expectation that a refined camera should support this? Yes, it would be nice, but you understand that it would be limited to a static AF state as a sort of manual focus through the AF drive. Defining the step size would be a pain since landscape requirements would be somewhat different than for macro and lens behavior would also be highly variable.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-20-2015 at 01:48 PM.
02-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Answer: Continous shooting as a 'focus-bracketing mode for the poor', especially with moving subject (children, pets)
BTW I cannot understand why so refined camera as K-3 does not offer focus-bracketing. Hope for K-3 II coming

-----
OK, I agree, a $600 camera (which I paid for my k-3) should be able to do focus bracketing....