Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #1

Spot-beam

Is your K-3 using external flash (i.e. AF540FGZ) near-infra-red spot-beam for focusing?
Mine K-3 is stubborn with using its build-in green diode light, when 2/3 of the beam is behind lens shade, at least big part of the focusing field stays unlit.
Is there any way to force K-3 body to use external flash focusing aid?

ADDED:
I've done it! Simple switching-off focus-assist light in K-3 menu switches that to on-camera flash red-beam!

Last edited by Prakticant; 02-20-2015 at 02:17 PM.
02-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
Is your K-3 using external flash (i.e. AF540FGZ) near-infra-red spot-beam for focusing?
Mine K-3 is stubborn with using its build-in green diode light, when 2/3 of the beam is behind lens shade, at least big part of the focusing field stays unlit.
Is there any way to force K-3 body to use external flash focusing aid?

ADDED:
I've done it! Simple switching-off focus-assist light in K-3 menu switches that to on-camera flash red-beam!
Glad you figured it out. I found out while shooting a wedding that the spot beam doesn't work in AF-C mode.
02-21-2015, 12:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
Spot-beam does NOT work in AF-C mode!

Good point (RTFM )!
My camera was in AF-Auto mode, so spot-beaming when testing, but you never knew when shooting .

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I found out while shooting a wedding that the spot beam doesn't work in AF-C mode.