Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does the K-3 Render Reds/Browns Better than Prior Pentax DSLRs?

Just wondering if its the camera, or if its just me, but I just added another shot to my Flickr and caught myself thinking "Thats a lot of warm colors..."

The reason this struck me is that I never found myself thinking that with the K-x or K-30. Even with sunset photos it was always just 'ehhh..."

With the K-3 though? I'm finding a lot seemingly richer set of tones creeping through in my admittedly short time with the camera so far.

Is it just me? Or has anyone else thought this as well?

Here are some samples from my flickr showing the reds/browns/oranges/etc I've caught in the few weeks I've had the new camera.

Even those ugly street lights are looking decent.

Lots of browns and reddish tones in here. Again, they aren't looking as off as I remember from before.

Even a washed out shot like this one has the reds and browns popping more than I remember.

So... is it me, or did Pentax get things right with the earthy/firey tones this time?

02-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The k3 has a more accurate white balance and metering system, and the difference is especially apparent in artificial lighting. In JPEG Pentax cameras have always had saturated reds, so I think it's a little bit of both Glad to hear you're enjoying the image quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The k3 has a more accurate white balance and metering system, and the difference is especially apparent in artificial lighting. In JPEG Pentax cameras have always had saturated reds, so I think it's a little bit of both Glad to hear you're enjoying the image quality.
Its definitely a learning curve (I'm basically relearning post with the camera, and watching my ISOs more carefully), but I'm liking it - a lot. I'm chomping at the bit for Spring to get here so I can get out and about and play.
02-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it's what Adam said. A lot better white balance than preceding cameras. And a pretty good JPEG engine too, if you don't let your ISO go to high.

02-21-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I noticed right away that I was picking up eye colors in water birds that I didn't see with the K5. Same birds same light conditions same lenses. I think the AA filter made some things look muddy.
02-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I noticed right away that I was picking up eye colors in water birds that I didn't see with the K5. Same birds same light conditions same lenses. I think the AA filter made some things look muddy.

That could be it, normally muddled colors look... crispier?

More punchy? Whatever it is, theres a definite something going on, and I like it.