Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #1

Problem with K3-Help Needed Please

Hi Folks,

I've had my K3 about 10 days and it's worked flawlessly. I also have a K50 so using the K3 seemed normal and simple to work around.

I got it out today to shoot some scenery and I'm getting a strange presentation. The upper LCD in P mode shows nothing but battery charge level, shots remaining on the LCD card, and a large letter F with two dashes, like this F--. That symbol also shows on the info page. Also, the view through the EVF seems to show very tiny dots, sort of a dusty look. Of course, it will not focus.

I've reset the camera and cycled the battery in and out. The manual doesn't shed any light on this problem at all. Normally, I'd think I had messed up the settings but I didn't change anything from the last time I used the camera.

Any ideas? I like the camera but need to solve this soon or send the camera back. Thanks for any help!

Jack

02-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
Hi Folks,

I've had my K3 about 10 days and it's worked flawlessly. I also have a K50 so using the K3 seemed normal and simple to work around.

I got it out today to shoot some scenery and I'm getting a strange presentation. The upper LCD in P mode shows nothing but battery charge level, shots remaining on the LCD card, and a large letter F with two dashes, like this F--. That symbol also shows on the info page. Also, the view through the EVF seems to show very tiny dots, sort of a dusty look. Of course, it will not focus.

I've reset the camera and cycled the battery in and out. The manual doesn't shed any light on this problem at all. Normally, I'd think I had messed up the settings but I didn't change anything from the last time I used the camera.

Any ideas? I like the camera but need to solve this soon or send the camera back. Thanks for any help!

Jack
If you have a lens with an aperture ring, make sure that the ring is set to "A". Otherwise, try to clean the lens mount and the lens contacts and see if that solves the issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, try removing and reattaching the lens.
02-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like Adam said, make sure the Aperture ring on the lens is set to -A, and that it's communicating with the camera properly. Also on the functions menu No. 23. Using Aperture Ring needs to be set at 2 (allow)

02-26-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you! The lens was not securely attached. All is well now. Apparently, I had hit the button and loosened it when putting the lens hood on and off. When I started to take the lens off as suggested, it nearly fell off in my hand. Kinda scary but at least the problem seems solved.

Aperture setting? I don't seem to have anything like that. I'm using the 18-135WR on the K3.

Your help is appreciated!

Jack
02-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Aperture setting? I don't seem to have anything like that. I'm using the 18-135WR on the K3.
That setting is only necessary if you plan to use manual lenses. You should be all set as is with the 18-135

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks to all of you! The lens was not securely attached. All is well now. Apparently, I had hit the button and loosened it when putting the lens hood on and off. When I started to take the lens off as suggested, it nearly fell off in my hand. Kinda scary but at least the problem seems solved.

Your help is appreciated!

Jack
As you noticed the issue was the misscommunication between the lens and the mount due to displacement.

The DA 18-135mm lens doesn't have an aperture ring like older -A, F/FA, D-FA lenses (all DA lenses are not equipped with one) If you ever get the chance to use a lens with an aperture ring on it, then you'll need to enable step 23 on the program's menu.

02-27-2015, 03:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
The DA 18-135mm lens doesn't have an aperture ring like older -A, F/FA, D-FA lenses (all DA lenses are not equipped with one) If you ever get the chance to use a lens with an aperture ring on it, then you'll need to enable step 23 on the program's menu.
Only if you don't put the lens in 'A' (or if the lens does not have that option).