Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

K3 on the way, I'm so excited!

I just purchased a used K3 and am so excited!!! I've had my K200D since 2007 and have loved it and taken great pics with it, but have been ready to upgrade for a while. I've convinced myself to not blame my tools and fall for the lie that it will magically improve how I see (and photograph) the world around me. Secretly, I'm hoping my pics do come out a little clearer.

My photography is for me-my creative outlet. I quickly lose interest when I take pics of what others want me to photograph. The net result is that it is hard to pay for my photography hobby. Oh well. I'm hoping to be at least as happy with my new K3 as i was with my 200D.

Question:
Has anyone else here made the K200D to K3 transition? What should I expect? What new feature did you love most? Is there anything you miss? (simplicity?)

03-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a K20D, K01 and a K-30. I love the improved AF and much better low light performance to start.
03-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jdg239 Quote
Question:
Has anyone else here made the K200D to K3 transition? What should I expect? What new feature did you love most? Is there anything you miss? (simplicity?)
I went K100D Super to K50, not the exact same leap but similar. I found the following:

1) ISO performance is WAAAAAAAY better, don't get too hung up on ISO until you know more about the outcome. High ISO shots are much much better and you can allow the camera more lattitude here.

2) AF performance is better, faster mainly but also better in low light.

3) Battery life is better (went from AA K100D Super to dedicated battery)

4) More options, many more options in menus than before. But base menu structure is not so changed that it is alien.
03-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

03-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went from a K10 to a K5 to a K5IIs to a K3. The K10 to K5 was a bigger leap. I was stunned by the improved high iso performance with the K5, although in the right conditions I still like the results from the CCD sensor. The next jump was smaller, but improved resolution and a little better autofocus. To the K3, better resolution, a lot better autofocus performance, better metering IMHO, maybe slightly worse iso and dynamic range, but truthfully it doesn't affect me. I love the K3.
03-03-2015, 03:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I moved from K10D to K3. Pics improved!

The AF is a big improvement, the ISO is good to 3200 with no problem, 6400 with a bit of noise.

I just upgraded the firmware today, and was thinking this is such a great camera.
03-03-2015, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I made a similar upgrade.
Expect to be blown away.
Ergonomics, WR, build quality, IQ are the features I love the most.
There is NOTHING I miss. People assume less buttons equals simplicity but that is not true. More buttons equals simplicity because everything's at your fingertips, there when you need them without digging through menus to access them.

03-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My transition was gradual, from the *istD, through the K20D and the K-5 to the K-3, but even so the improvement in AF and image quality was still noticeable when I got my K-3. My DA* lenses are now showing their best, with only the speed of AF with some lenses being shown up, and the FA* lenses likewise, in terms of IQ. I expect the next iteration, whether an APS-C or 35FF body, to show more improvement (and put greater onus on the user to match its capability).
03-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Question:
Nice coincidence. I just ordered a K-3 today to replace my k200D

Was going for the k-s2 but i realized that i definitely wanted a bigger body with similar ergonomics to the k200d, which is perfect.
03-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I went K100D Super to K50, not the exact same leap but similar. I found the following:

1) ISO performance is WAAAAAAAY better, don't get too hung up on ISO until you know more about the outcome. High ISO shots are much much better and you can allow the camera more lattitude here.

2) AF performance is better, faster mainly but also better in low light.

3) Battery life is better (went from AA K100D Super to dedicated battery)

4) More options, many more options in menus than before. But base menu structure is not so changed that it is alien.
Exactly the same for me, except K-30 rather than K-50. So many changes - more pixels meant more scope for cropping, two wheels (love that), video, usable ISO to 6400, DNG RAW and much better software compatibility, live view, etc etc. But also little things that won't even be listed in the comparator (Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-S1 vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com), like the fact that the camera remembers settings when switched off (the K100D Super used to forget that I wanted exposure bracketing, so I had four button presses to turn it on every time). People say they miss the top LED screen but I don't - all the info is in the viewfinder and on the back screen.

I found the PF review of the K-30 helpful in setting it up, because it included lots of recommended settings. I imagine it will be the same with the K-3. I spent quite some time reading the manual, and that helped too. (I still carry a pdf copy in my phone and refer to it from time to time.)
03-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ROBEFFY Quote
I moved from K10D to K3. Pics improved!

The AF is a big improvement, the ISO is good to 3200 with no problem, 6400 with a bit of noise.
I too made the leap from the K10 to K3. I expected a vast improvement but was even more surprised by the K3's abilities. I have no idea about what to do with my K10, it's not really a suitable back up but it's built like a tank and isn't going anywhere.
03-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
I too made the leap from the K10 to K3. I expected a vast improvement but was even more surprised by the K3's abilities. I have no idea about what to do with my K10, it's not really a suitable back up but it's built like a tank and isn't going anywhere.
My plan is to leave the K10 in the car, in case I need a camera while driving around. Not sure what else to do with it.

The K3 is so much nicer to use, I have no intention of carrying both around. Not like I do weddings...
03-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #13

Original Poster
great replies everyone. Thank you!
03-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice of you to ditch your old Impala, enjoy your new corvette.
03-04-2015, 06:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I just purchased a used K3 and am so excited!!! I've had my K200D since 2007 and have loved it and taken great pics with it, but have been ready to upgrade for a while. I've convinced myself to not blame my tools and fall for the lie that it will magically improve how I see (and photograph) the world around me. Secretly, I'm hoping my pics do come out a little clearer.

My photography is for me-my creative outlet. I quickly lose interest when I take pics of what others want me to photograph. The net result is that it is hard to pay for my photography hobby. Oh well. I'm hoping to be at least as happy with my new K3 as i was with my 200D.

Question:
I have just recently switched from K200d to K3. K200d was stolen last year and I had replacement insurance so I ended up with the K3.
What do I like the most? Everything! Photo quality , SR, Info, AF, WR, build quality, flucard , 3 manual lense slots, everthing!
The K200D was great but the K3 is tremendous and I look forward to using its full capability.
I heard rumors that it will even make my lunch!
Have fun and try it all!