Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2015, 11:31 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Just for grins, what flash did you buy and did it also come with a standard (non-screw) PC socket? If it did not, I would suggest that your beef should be with the flash maker for selling a unit with limited compatibility.
Steve
As I said, it was a Yongnuo. It is the latest model, the 560 IV. The '"standard" non-screw PC cable I have works fine in it, by the way. There is no problem with depth. I'd urge you to try it for yourself.

03-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #17

Original Poster
Apparently, this screw lock is *very* common. There's a screw lock PC cable on sale at Amazon that says it is compatible with all devices that have a screw lock PC connector, and goes on to list them: "Compatible with screw lock PC sync port,eg: CANON 580EXII 7D 5DII 50D 40D 30D 20D 10D 1D... NIKON D300S D300 D200 D100 D700 D3X D3S D2X D2H D1 SC-15 SB900,800,80DX,29s,29,28DX,28,27,26,25,24,22s,22,20,17,16,14,11,140... PIXEL TF-321 TF-322 TF-323 TF-324 TF-325"
04-25-2015, 10:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Excellent thread, especially given the fact that Pentax is in the process of eliminating on-board flash on some cameras.

Now, can anyone tell me their preference on the two similar Paramount PC sync tips for use on Pentax (K-3 in particular). I'd like to get the coiled cord for my Sunpak 383. The MS-PC5H uses the longer male tip recommended for non-professional and older cameras. The shorter #2 tip is their "most popular" and recommended for "most professional cameras." That's the MS-PC5 - and the cost is a bit cheaper.
04-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Now, can anyone tell me their preference on the two similar Paramount PC sync tips for use on Pentax (K-3 in particular)...The shorter #2 tip is their "most popular" and recommended for "most professional cameras."
I've always used the "shorter" version. It stays, for the most part. The PC port is really not a very good connection for longer and coiled cords, though, which I why I welcomed the screw-in PC socket. Which was the precise reason for this thread to begin with. The FF Pentax should have a PC socket that screws in. A slightly larger screw-in cover for it could then easily screw into it.

04-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I agree entirely with your reasoning. I'm not a fan of standard PC for all the obvious reasons, but I really have begun to appreciate the versatility of the K-3 on-board flash for contributing a small secondary fill without all the effort involved in carrying an extra flash. So, improving the PC connection for whatever reason - adding a radio trigger (hanging like a dongle), or direct wiring, is a high priority. I still have the LX and its specialty PC that enabled (true) TTL with the two extra connections, so you can imagine I've worked with these items over a long period of time.

Frankly, I much prefer using an optical slave (Wein HS) and avoid the wiring and RF entirely. The Wein is extremely reliable - unlike most peanut slaves. However, that isn't practical at a major event with other flash shooters triggering the slave. My collection of old, mostly cheap wires are getting worn and some don't always trigger. So, Paramount is the way to go, apparently.
04-26-2015, 08:37 PM   #21

Original Poster
I have used FlashZebra.com: Screwlock PC Sync Cords in the past, but they don't seem to sell coiled screw lock PC cables. Too bad, I kind of like having a 6' coiled cord for a backup.
04-27-2015, 05:17 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
I have used FlashZebra.com: Screwlock PC Sync Cords in the past, but they don't seem to sell coiled screw lock PC cables. Too bad, I kind of like having a 6' coiled cord for a backup.
That is too bad. It would seem that the lock-type connector and a coiled cord are an obvious combination.

Steve
04-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #23

Original Poster
That is too bad. It would seem that the lock-type connector and a coiled cord are an obvious combination.Steve
Yes, that's right, it does sound like a perfect combination. You can get them from somewhere else, like Nikon SC-15 Coiled Sync Cord 4524 B&H Photo Video . It's just that Flashzebra doesn't seem to like coiled cords. I think they are harder to manufacture. I've just sent them some email asking about it.

Quick Update: Flashzebra does have two coiled male/male locking PC cables, one 2' and one 3'. I wanted one about twice that long, but here is the link for anyone who wants shorter ones. http://flashzebra.com/screwlock_pc/screwlock_to_screwlock.shtml . Ebay has an assortment as well.

Additional update: Here's a reply from Flashzebra about why they don't make/carry longer coiled cords:

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 20:14:32 -0500
Subject: Re: coiled male-to-male locking PC?

We have nothing even close to that length.

A cord of that length would typically be use with a camera to an off
camera flash with a high likely hood of the flash being on some sort of
stand. Coiled cords are notorious for precipitating users to pulled over
their light stands, so long coiled cords are seldom used anymore.

Sorry.

Enjoy! Lon

I gave him my use case:

Right. For me, that flash and stand would be about 3-4 feet away,
outside in the field for macro. So, a 6' stretch leaves the coiled cord
off the ground, yet still allows me to maneuver the light.

Andrew

Last edited by asharpe; 04-28-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added a further update from flash zebra
04-27-2015, 05:48 PM   #24

Original Poster
By the way, it looks like the current models of mainstream light meters are using the screw lock PC as well, now: Sekonic L-758DR DigitalMaster Flash Meter 401-758 B&H Photo (on the front of the meter) and Gossen DIGISKY Flash and Ambient Light Meter GO 4039 B&H Photo (on the bottom of the meter).
04-30-2015, 06:07 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So, I finally got a modern flash, and it has (besides wireless) a PC socket. It is the kind that screws in for a more secure fit. Aha! says I, the K-3 has a PC socket, and there is a cover for it that screws in. Surely Pentax made this a standard screw PC socket, and the cover simply screws into the standard thread! Well, no. The socket is too small to accept the standard threaded PC connector. Why would *anyone* have made a screw cap to cover a PC connector, without considering that there was an actual standard?!

Sigh.
ISO 519 :2002 is the standard for the Prontor-Compur flash sync connector there is no 'thread' defined so there is NO standard fro a threaded PC sync socket

So in answer to you question "Why would *anyone* have made a screw cap to cover a PC connector, without considering that there was an actual standard?!" they didn't the Pentax screw is just as 'standard' as your yongnuo

Though you need to pay to see iso519 you can read the indian version which is identical
https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S08/is.15049.2002.pdf

There is also flexibility in cone length and insulation extrusion so in theory you can have two iso519 connectors that are uncompatable with each other but then there is no standard fro the electrical characteristics so you can plug to pc sync device together and blow one to kingdom come alll within the 'standard'.

I've switched all my cable runs over to 3.5mm plug and sockets these eliminate many of the problems with using a 70 year old connector designed for HV switching when used for low voltage flash circuits though screw lock removes the physical security issue it doesn't address flaring and failed contact .
Where required I make PC - 3.5mm socket adapters.

Last edited by awaldram; 04-30-2015 at 06:14 AM.
04-30-2015, 09:23 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
ISO 519 :2002 is the standard for the Prontor-Compur flash sync connector there is no 'thread' defined so there is NO standard fro a threaded PC sync socket.
Well, that may very well be true, but the CANON 580EXII 7D 5DII 50D 40D 30D 20D 10D 1D, NIKON D300S D300 D200 D100 D700 D3X D3S D2X D2H D1 SC-15 SB900,800,80DX,29s,29,28DX,28,27,26,25,24,22s,22,20,17,16,14,11,140, PIXEL TF-321 TF-322 TF-323 TF-324 TF-325, Sekonic L-758DR, Gossen DIGISKY, Yongnuo flashes, RF603II trigger, Olympus E1, Sony a900, Samsung GX-20 all seem to have come to some agreement...
05-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Samsung GX-20
Ummmm...the Samsung GX-20 is a rebranded Pentax K20D and has the same fitting as your K-3. BTW...the list may look impressively long but is a small percentage of product at market in the last decade and is even a small sample within brand.

I am willing to consider that there may be a design rational regarding the cap thread. After all, its purpose is to secure a small cap to provide a functional weather seal. Any compatibility with a threaded PC fitting would be icing on the cake. A good analogy might be the fact that you cannot use mayonnaise jars for home canning with lids designed for Mason jars. One can complain long and hard to Kraft and Best Foods, but they are not going to match the Mason "standard". OTOH, the spaghetti sauce I buy ("Classico") comes in a Mason jar, but the feature is not promoted...go figure...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-03-2015 at 02:23 PM.
05-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Cant Locate the PC Socket on K3

I did look for a PC connector on the Recent purchase of my K3. Should I get my Eyes Examined.? lol Thank you Can you tell me where or a picture
05-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Its the 6mm toothed cap just below the flash pop up button and above the Raw/FX button.

Use mine quite regularly with a Nissin 5200G potato masher (Yes I did check the flash trigger voltage at about 4.3v)
05-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #30

Original Poster
the list may look impressively long but is a small percentage of product at market in the last decade and is even a small sample within brand.
Steve
Well, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Gossen and Sekonic may be a short list, but they are the biggest names in the business. Really, my point is that these 4 camera manufacturers, in direct competition with each other, and the two remaining light meter manufacturers, in direct competition with each other, all decided to go with the screw lock PC. For what reason might they have done this, except that it was a good idea, improved the reliability of the connector, maintained full compatibility with existing PC cables, and did not significantly modify their bottom line (the latter being conjecture, but you can bet if it was too expensive to do this, they wouldn't have done it)?