Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrogliserin Quote
I can't use LR at all but I am very useful in Photoshop CC 2014. Raw editor is much more less confusing than LR user interface. I simply open a RAW edit very basics steps on Raw Editor (lightning + lens correction etc), then Nik Software Sharpening Tool and Color Effects and finally Topaz Noise Reduction. One RAW files takes 2-3 minutes to process within these steps.
Seems like a lot of steps to jump through when some of the more-advanced tools have very refined versions of the third-party programs you mention. In particular, you can get excellent clarity/structure/sharpening and more-advanced color management in Capture One, and pretty much match Topaz Noise Reduction quality, as well. Process is about 1 minute if you don't need the (extensive) local adjustments options. Not sure if it is considered simple or not - it quickly became second nature to me; but others seem to find it somewhat challenging. The 30-day free trial is plenty enough to determine if it is simple enough, or not.

All I can say is the best image quality is the highest priority for me; the simplicity and quickness (at least for me) is just icing.

04-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
AFAIR, that is correct, but misleading. DNG is an extension of the TIFF 6.0 specification. Back in the early days TIFF was jokingly referred to as standing for Thousands of Incompatible File Formats because the standard allows for significant deviation from the base by means of embedded metadata detailing the deviation. DNG is much the same.

It is my understanding that Pentax PEF is essentially TIFF compliant* and that the internal image data structures between PEF and Pentax-DNG are the same. It is this TIFF compliance that allows for an easy integration of Pentax output to DNG. When I first bought my K10D in early 2007, there were compatibility issues (would not read) with Adobe products and DNG from Pentax cameras. Those issues were resolved by patches to Adobe Camera Raw that enabled processing of the DNG features that Pentax leveraged. The Pentax-generated DNG were quite legal, but the Adobe software was too limited to interpret the Pentax deviations from the base Adobe implementation.**

The food analogy for PEF vs. Pentax-generated DNG might be the difference between a cheeseburger and a patty melt sandwich. With the exception of the top and bottom bread, the two are essentially the same.

This leads to an interesting exercise in DNG portability. In Lightroom, you can import a DNG from a Pentax camera with creation of a new DNG. That DNG is the Adobe version of the Pentax original. Now view that same Adobe DNG from the camera or from PDCU or Silkypix, or any number of other DNG-capable RAW converters. Hint: The camera is unable to read the Adobe version. I don't have the other products, though I would expect there might be a few surprises.

wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/dng_spec_1.4.0.0.pdf

Tagged Image File Format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steve

* Treading on thin ice here since the statement is based on my memory of Internet communications dating back to when Pentax first started DNG support and comparison to PEF was a hotbed of discussion. I did manage, however, to find a link to a developer's wiki that says as much. Pentax PEF - Just Solve the File Format Problem
Yeah, tiff is fun...

well, darktable does not touch the dng in any way, just creates a xml file with the changes - and it does not sound right that LR creates a new dng.

But there were some changes between K30 dng and K3 dng. Hm.

Thanks for your post.
04-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
and it does not sound right that LR creates a new dng.
Lightroom does not create a new DNG normally. But there is an option to "convert to DNG" on import. Oddly the convert does not care if the original is already a DNG or some other RAW format. So if you select that option you get a file converted to Adobe DNG. If you just import with that option off then your from camera DNG is not changed,
04-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Lightroom does not create a new DNG normally. But there is an option to "convert to DNG" on import. Oddly the convert does not care if the original is already a DNG or some other RAW format. So if you select that option you get a file converted to Adobe DNG. If you just import with that option off then your from camera DNG is not changed,
ah, thank you for the clarification.

04-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
ah, thank you for the clarification.
This option proved to be quite useful at the release of the k-3 as at the time Lightroom did not read the k-3 PEF format. By using the "convert to DNG" import option users who were shooting in PEF got around that. At that time there were still a good number of folks who preferred PEF over DNG. I think Lightroom was eventually updated to read k-3 PEFs but I'm not sure as I always shot DNG.

It can still be useful if you have a library of older PEF files and want to convert them to DNG.

There are also options to use the newer compressed "Lossy DNG" format, but I do not think you can do that on import. I've never felt a need for it but it seems to be able to reduce file size to maybe a fourth of regular DNG but it is 8bit and reportedly not much different than a high quality jpeg though it might stand editing better.

There is also a stand alone "DNG converter" that can be run in batch mode to convert files.
04-12-2015, 11:35 PM   #51

Photos: Gallery
Nobody has mentioned UfRaw yet, so I'll throw that out there. I think it does a more honest job than ACR does. I like the fact that it will save as 16 bit Tiffs which Adobe can read.