Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2015, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,873
Many of us think that buying from Amazon could be safer from getting counterfeit product.... but it does sound like you don't have a genuine Sandisk disk. Hope you can get refunds from Amazon.

03-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #17
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nassau New York
Posts: 33
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
Question:
Do you have the latest (v. 1.11) K-3 firmware? I had problems with Sony 45MB/s UHS-I card before upgrading K-3 FW, now it works like a champ.

-----
Yes I do Prakticant, but thank you for the suggestion.

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Many of us think that buying from Amazon could be safer from getting counterfeit product.... but it does sound like you don't have a genuine Sandisk disk. Hope you can get refunds from Amazon.
Thank you aleonx3. I opted for replacements from Amazon, there was no issue and hopefully I see them in the next seven days.
03-13-2015, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian
ScooterMaxi Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,464
I think the K-3 will perform at its write maximum at about 60 mb/s (better than any of the other Pentax products that aren't MF). I use the SanDisk Extreme at 80 mb/s, and I'm pretty sure that is beyond the K-3 maximum as Adam has stated in his review. It appears that most of the counterfeit cards are marketed to claim to be the card rated at the maximum write rate (i.e. Pro at 95 mb/s) because, well, why not claim the biggest possible lie? In any event, a real Extreme will perform the same as the higher spec Pro cards on the K-3. I agree with others who say buy from the camera outlets as they know what they are doing, and can better control inventory.

The Sony cards are notorious for problems - the architecture is not standard. I wouldn't trust that card, even with the confirmed FW. You find them cheap for good reason. If you want to go the major electronics brand route, Panasonic consistently outperforms its stated spec - and is made in Japan where the quality control appears to be somewhat better in my experience.
03-13-2015, 10:58 PM   #19
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nassau New York
Posts: 33
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I agree with others who say buy from the camera outlets as they know what they are doing, and can better control inventory.
Good feedback, thank you.

The simple reason I bought them off of Amazon was I had a pile of Amazon gift cards to use up. ^_^

03-14-2015, 03:27 AM   #20
Senior Member
LoneWolf's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 141
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
No issue also for me.I have 4 Sandisk cards incl 2 Extreme Pro. After a minimum of 2 years for each card, not a single issue.
I have been using Sandisk Cards for 5 years now and so far no issues. I have however always bought mine from a reputable specialist photographic store.
03-14-2015, 04:54 AM   #21
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 74
My girlfriend's dad uses SanDisk cards for everything. He gets them from Amazon. He has had countless corrupt. Yet he continues to buy them. I've heard many stories of counterfeits. I would almost claim that SanDisk is the most copied of the bunch.

I wouldn't dare buying them from Amazon. My high speed card is pny and all my other (45+Mb/s write) cards are Samsungs.

Store bought SanDisk I would trust, but I'm too lazy and "cheap"to spend more on SanDisk :P.
03-14-2015, 06:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member
magkelly's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,905
There are a lot of questionable vendors on Amazon and those I tend to avoid but I've never had problems with cards sold directly by Amazon and I've bought a dozen of them at this point. I like SanDisk, Transcend but I'm very careful to buy them direct, not from some vendor in China or something. Always check the vendor's feedback and location before purchasing. If the cards are dodgy usually a few people have said so in the reviews or feedback section and you'll know to avoid that vendor.
03-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #23
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,989
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
There are a lot of questionable vendors on Amazon and those I tend to avoid but I've never had problems with cards sold directly by Amazon and I've bought a dozen of them at this point. I like SanDisk, Transcend but I'm very careful to buy them direct, not from some vendor in China or something. Always check the vendor's feedback and location before purchasing. If the cards are dodgy usually a few people have said so in the reviews or feedback section and you'll know to avoid that vendor.
As I posted above about Amazon, for many items IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO THE LISTED SELLER IS if Amazon is doing the fulfillment (i.e. shipping it from their warehouse). If ANY seller sends counterfeits to Amazon's warehouse, they will be sending those out to whoever buys that product FROM THEM OR ANY OTHER VENDOR, INCLUDING AMAZON THEMSELVES. They make no distinction at the warehouse this such-and-such stock came from a particular vendor, just that it is (supposedly) a matching product. So "shipped and sold from Amazon" in these cases means nothing different from "ships and sold from Counterfeits R' Us".

There are many things on Amazon where even if you buy them from the manufacturer themselves as the listed seller, you still get a counterfeit half the time. In fact, I've had that happen. So until Amazon decides to care about counterfeiting over efficiency (or at least cracks down on the counterfeiters so it is rare), things that are in danger of being counterfeit (like SD cards), you can't reliably buy on Amazon AT ALL, unless it is from a authorized SanDisk seller that ships it to you themselves (and has gotten their stock reliably from SanDisk), i.e. like Adorama often does. But then might as well just buy direct from Adorama...

03-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #24
Senior Member
Greenneck's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 136
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I would not buy SD cards that are fulfilled by Amazon AT ALL -- it doesn't matter who the seller is. Cards are an often counterfeited item, and Amazon just grabs stuff off their warehouse shelves by barcode match. NOT FROM A SPECIFIC SELLER'S STOCK. So if you have genuine cards sold by Amazon or some other reputable dealer, but also some counterfeit cards by a disreputable dealer (which are packaged the same with the same barcode as the real thing), they all get mixed together at the warehouse(s) (essentially) and it is a crap shoot if you get the real thing.

This is a real problem at Amazon for a lot of things (not high-value items -- they do separate those by vendor) -- counterfeit and genuine items mixed together, as long as the barcode matches they will send it to you. (Basically it comes down to what the closest warehouse to you has stocked, if they separated it by vendor so they only used the stock the vendor actually gave them then they'd be restricted to whatever warehouse that stuff resides in and they have to ship longer distances on average.) Amazon so far doesn't seem to care about this issue.

So I'd get my cards directly from a reputable authorized dealer with their own warehouse - B&H, etc.

Google "sandisk counterfeit check" -- apparently there are some things to look for if you have a suspected one...
The flip side to this just I case anyone is curious, the sellers also can be screwed over. My sister sells on Amazon. She mostly resells certain toys we can get very cheaper around here. Anyways there have been a couple times items bought from her have been returned as counterfeit and when we get them back its obvious they are and they're not what she sent to Amazon. So she got to be the unlucky fulfillment seller who instead of her product being shipped out some random lot one got sent. It's a really bad practice Amazon has and they need to correct it. The other downside is they are unwilling to refund her even though she can prove these are not the items she sent them so now she's stuck with a few hundred dollars of counterfeit dolls Amazon sent out under her name.
03-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #25
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 237
How did you format these SDHC 32GB cards in your computer?
Windows formatting is known for being NOT compatible with sd.org standards
Never ever defragment your SD cards
Along with advice from this forum, format your card in K-3 Slot 1 (NOT Slot 2)
Please remember K-3 offers Quick Format only
Use card vendor in-house recovery software (i.e. FileRescue fo Sony cards, Image Rescue for Lexar cards, RecoverX for Transcend cards, etc.) when appriopriate to recover your photos/files from corrupted card.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by Moto Fotoe Quote
I formatted once in the computer so the K-3 could read it then formatted in there before trying to use it again.
03-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #26
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,989
QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
The flip side to this just I case anyone is curious, the sellers also can be screwed over. My sister sells on Amazon. She mostly resells certain toys we can get very cheaper around here. Anyways there have been a couple times items bought from her have been returned as counterfeit and when we get them back its obvious they are and they're not what she sent to Amazon. So she got to be the unlucky fulfillment seller who instead of her product being shipped out some random lot one got sent. It's a really bad practice Amazon has and they need to correct it. The other downside is they are unwilling to refund her even though she can prove these are not the items she sent them so now she's stuck with a few hundred dollars of counterfeit dolls Amazon sent out under her name.
Yes, that makes it a huge problem. Somebody makes something nice, but their buyers keep getting counterfeits that suck, then they get bad reviews they don't deserve, etc etc. The manufacturers of many items are up in arms about it. I bought something from a vendor that specifically says on their listing, "If it doesn't come in this exact packaging with this and this logo etc, it is counterfeit." I ordered, got the product in plain shrinkwrap and a barcode sticker on it -- no other packaging or labels. Amazon doesn't care. (I did complain about the counterfeit and get a refund though.)
03-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #27
Banned




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 390
QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
Along with advice from this forum, format your card in K-3 Slot 1 (NOT Slot 2)

Just curious, where did you come across this bit of info and what difference does it make? The manual doesn't really specify a preference AFAIK.

---------- Post added 03-14-15 at 12:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Amazon doesn't care. (I did complain about the counterfeit and get a refund though.)

Just an FYI about Amazon. The term "fulfilled by Amazon" simply means the item is sent from a contracted source, not necessarily a self owned warehouse, and problems / returns are handled directly through Amazon, not a third party. The company I work for ships items for Amazon, as well as other B&M and / or on-line retailers. They couldn't possibly monitor everything they sell. FWIW, they do monitor complaints about merchandise and vendors. To say they don't care is a mis-statement, a no questions asked return policy proves quite the opposite.
03-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #28
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,989
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Just an FYI about Amazon. The term "fulfilled by Amazon" simply means the item is sent from a contracted source, not necessarily a self owned warehouse, and problems / returns are handled directly through Amazon, not a third party. The company I work for ships items for Amazon, as well as other B&M and / or on-line retailers. They couldn't possibly monitor everything they sell. FWIW, they do monitor complaints about merchandise and vendors. To say they don't care is a mis-statement, a no questions asked return policy proves quite the opposite.
"Don't care" to me means they are well aware of this problem, and yet it persists, even gets worse when it could be stopped tomorrow. But it would cost them more money and some shipping times would be longer.

They can't necessarily stop counterfeiting from happening, but they could easily stop right now today completely innocent parties from getting blamed for it. How? By actually using the stock provided by the vendor to fulfill that vendor's orders instead of the nearest thing on the shelf to the destination point that claims to be the correct product but often isn't. This isn't just a problem for consumers, it is destroying small businesses as noted above because they are blamed for it when it is Amazon to blame.

There are manufacturers who are the SOLE suppliers and true sellers to end-users of some products, but Amazon still allows others to come along claiming to be selling that same thing, filling up the warehouses with cheap knockoffs and sending them out supposedly FROM that true manufacturer as the vendor (and then some of the true products get sent as being from the counterfeiter -- it is just random what you'll get). And the manufacturers beg and plead with them not to allow it, and Amazon continues to do so. That's "not caring" in my book. If the manufacturer then decides fine, I'm not going to sell on Amazon at all, then they are even screwed worse because now ONLY counterfeits of that product will be sold on Amazon. They are getting screwed royally, the customers are getting screwed too, and the ones that benefit are Amazon and the counterfeiters. Rant over.
03-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #29
Senior Member
Greenneck's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 136
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Just curious, where did you come across this bit of info and what difference does it make? The manual doesn't really specify a preference AFAIK.

---------- Post added 03-14-15 at 12:41 PM ----------




Just an FYI about Amazon. The term "fulfilled by Amazon" simply means the item is sent from a contracted source, not necessarily a self owned warehouse, and problems / returns are handled directly through Amazon, not a third party. The company I work for ships items for Amazon, as well as other B&M and / or on-line retailers. They couldn't possibly monitor everything they sell. FWIW, they do monitor complaints about merchandise and vendors. To say they don't care is a mis-statement, a no questions asked return policy proves quite the opposite.
They do inspect every item that comes in and often times its very easy to tell the second you take a product out its a fake. We have had many items refuse to be sold because the package was slightly dented or damaged in a way that no way would ever affect the value of what was inside. Amazon sends these back to us, yet doesn't recognize fakes in printer boxes glued together with elemers white.

Even better, many of the items they sent back to us so we didnt have to pay their new storage fees were damaged so severly we would never be able to sell them as new.






Back to the op, I have used an Scandisk Extreme Plus for 8 months, probably 7000 pictures on it. I format it after every use just to avoid importing duplicates and I have had no problems. Costco actually has very good pricing on sd cards every few weeeks that match amazons within a dollar or two
03-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #30
Banned




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 390
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
By actually using the stock provided by the vendor to fulfill that vendor's orders instead of the nearest thing on the shelf to the destination point

Impossible to say the least!! Do you have ANY idea how many sellers Amazon represents?? You miss the point, fulfilled by amazon DOES NOT mean they have control of that particular item or it's coming from one of THEIR warehouses. Even if they did, to allocate separate space for perhaps HUNDREDS of the same item from different sellers would not only be a waste of space, but astronomically expensive and impossible to maintain! This is one reason why they have no problem refunding your money if you're not completely satisfied with your purchase, there's just no way they can control / monitor everything they sell. Think about it, if you own a store, and buy the same thing from say 10 different vendors, where are you likely to store them, on separate shelves, which will require a larger storage space, or all on one shelf so everything fits in the space you have? Remember, any additional costs any seller of goods / services has ultimately gets passed along to the consumer.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
amazon, cables, camera, card, cards, care, computer, dslr, errors, folders, issues, k-3, k3, memory, partitions, pentax k-3, photos, reader, sandisk, slot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-2 derekkite Pentax K-3 8 03-03-2014 04:08 AM
Sandisk Extreme Pro - 95MB/s? cyclone3d Pentax K-30 & K-50 13 09-29-2013 10:42 PM
SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card 99.99$ at BestBuy Canada! Weevil Pentax Price Watch 5 09-07-2013 07:49 PM
SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Cards ProgMtl Pentax K-5 13 11-14-2011 05:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:21 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top