Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Impossible to say the least!! Do you have ANY idea how many sellers Amazon represents?? You miss the point, fulfilled by amazon DOES NOT mean they have control of that particular item or it's coming from one of THEIR warehouses. Even if they did, to allocate separate space for perhaps HUNDREDS of the same item from different sellers would not only be a waste of space, but astronomically expensive and impossible to maintain! This is one reason why they have no problem refunding your money if you're not completely satisfied with your purchase, there's just no way they can control / monitor everything they sell. Think about it, if you own a store, and buy the same thing from say 10 different vendors, where are you likely to store them, on separate shelves, which will require a larger storage space, or all on one shelf so everything fits in the space you have? Remember, any additional costs any seller of goods / services has ultimately gets passed along to the consumer.
Nonsense, they can make rules to only sell the actual stock if they like from a third-party warehouse. They do it for higher value items. Anybody using a fulfillment company can certainly contract that only the items actually provided are the ones sold. It just means they treat items that are the "same" product from different vendors as if they are different products (which they often really are, that's the problem). They have no trouble sending you the "right" item as labeled (they don't send you a spoon when you order a fork because it is "impossible" to keep track of all those spoons and forks), so this would just mean more categories and more likely that the item would have to come from a particular warehouse rather than just the closet one. (And of course they could take more care to keep out the counterfeiters in the first place.)

And in Amazon's own warehouses, it is all automated and the products are pulled by a robot.

Making a technical argument that it just can't be done is flat-out not true. It would be less efficient, yes. But third-party fulfillment, drop shipping etc was not invented by Amazon. But this counterfeiting problem was, and they could fix it if they cared to. They do not, and it is not only bad business but morally reprehensible. I think you'd feel differently if you had created your own company from scratch, but your reputation was suffering because of a flood of counterfeit products being sold under YOUR name, which people do not know are counterfeit and so blame the company and leave bad reviews for a shoddy product they didn't even make. (Reviews that stay around forever even if the customer does return the product.) Yes the consumer can return it, but how to even get the correct thing? If you order again, chances are you'll get another counterfeit. And if we're talking about things like SD Cards like you might need for professional uses, now that is costing you money, hurting your business, etc etc.

This is a bad bad thing they do, and there is NO excuse...

03-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Nonsense, they can make rules to only sell the actual stock if they like from a third-party warehouse. They do it for higher value items. Anybody using a fulfillment company can certainly contract that only the items actually provided are the ones sold. It just means they treat items that are the "same" product from different vendors as if they are different products (which they often really are, that's the problem). They have no trouble sending you the "right" item as labeled (they don't send you a spoon when you order a fork because it is "impossible" to keep track of all those spoons and forks), so this would just mean more categories and more likely that the item would have to come from a particular warehouse rather than just the closet one. (And of course they could take more care to keep out the counterfeiters in the first place.)

And in Amazon's own warehouses, it is all automated and the products are pulled by a robot.

Making a technical argument that it just can't be done is flat-out not true. It would be less efficient, yes. But third-party fulfillment, drop shipping etc was not invented by Amazon. But this counterfeiting problem was, and they could fix it if they cared to. They do not, and it is not only bad business but morally reprehensible. I think you'd feel differently if you had created your own company from scratch, but your reputation was suffering because of a flood of counterfeit products being sold under YOUR name, which people do not know are counterfeit and so blame the company and leave bad reviews for a shoddy product they didn't even make. (Reviews that stay around forever even if the customer does return the product.) Yes the consumer can return it, but how to even get the correct thing? If you order again, chances are you'll get another counterfeit. And if we're talking about things like SD Cards like you might need for professional uses, now that is costing you money, hurting your business, etc etc.

This is a bad bad thing they do, and there is NO excuse...

I'm not going to argue with you, you have your opinion, I have mine. I will say that since you have the secret formula as to how to "fix" Amazon, you should contact Jeff Bezos, I'm sure he'd pay a pretty penny indeed for such a plan!
03-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
. I will say that since you have the secret formula as to how to "fix" Amazon, you should contact Jeff Bezos, I'm sure he'd pay a pretty penny indeed for such a plan!
I have, as have many others. But as I say, they don't care...
03-14-2015, 07:54 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I've bought all the Sandisk extreme pro cards that I use from Amazon.ca without issue. They are flawless. Fast, reliable. I wouldn't consider anything else. That Amazon shipped counterfeit cards is very disturbing.

03-14-2015, 11:27 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I'm not surprised about problems with items ordered from Amazon. They were shipping counterfeit Frontline flea packets before. That's another problem area, just like SanDisk cards.

For the OP, I have had problems with external to the pc (or laptop) card readers failing. In fact, it's happened a few times over the years. Card readers are relatively cheap and I'd consider getting a new one just to rule that out.
03-16-2015, 02:45 AM   #36

Original Poster
I'm already ahead of you there...

Since all three of my generic external/internal card readers had issues with these cards only I also ordered a Kingston Digital MobileLite G4 with a few USB3 extension cables. I've had very few card reader failures since 2005 and they where mostly hardware fails due to being stepped on, bent usb plug and that sort of thing.

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
For the OP, I have had problems with external to the pc (or laptop) card readers failing. In fact, it's happened a few times over the years. Card readers are relatively cheap and I'd consider getting a new one just to rule that out.
03-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #37

Photos: Albums
No problems with mine after a year of use. I transfer the photos to my computer through the built in card reader on my 2010 macbook pro.
03-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #38

Sandisk 32GB

I've been using the Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB UHS for years in my K5, and now also in my K3. I never had a single memory card issue yet. I buy my cards only from B&H Photo. I would stay away from Amazon, especially after reading this post.

03-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I posted above about Amazon, for many items IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO THE LISTED SELLER IS if Amazon is doing the fulfillment (i.e. shipping it from their warehouse). If ANY seller sends counterfeits to Amazon's warehouse, they will be sending those out to whoever buys that product FROM THEM OR ANY OTHER VENDOR, INCLUDING AMAZON THEMSELVES. They make no distinction at the warehouse this such-and-such stock came from a particular vendor, just that it is (supposedly) a matching product. So "shipped and sold from Amazon" in these cases means nothing different from "ships and sold from Counterfeits R' Us".
It is my understanding that "Fulfilled by Amazon" does not work that way. When I checked on it last week, Amazon's page for vendors said that Amazon provides warehouse and fulfillment for stock supplied by the vendor. That is why it says "x remaining".

Steve
03-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is my understanding that "Fulfilled by Amazon" does not work that way. When I checked on it last week, Amazon's page for vendors said that Amazon provides warehouse and fulfillment for stock supplied by the vendor. That is why it says "x remaining".
They do keep track of stock numbers so if the supplier sent 10 units they will only sell 10 units "from them". But it isn't necessarily the actual stock the supplier supplied. This is well-documented -- you can find some pretty exhaustive articles about it if you google the topic. (And I got a counterfeit just a couple weeks ago of something supposedly from the manufacturer via Amazon, so I've seen it first hand.) It doesn't apply to high-ticket items like TVs, and one would assume DSLRs. But small stuff, especially easily fabricated stuff where keep knockoffs are easy to make, it is definitely happening...
03-17-2015, 10:08 PM   #41
Site Supporter

But it isn't necessarily the actual stock the supplier supplied. This is well-documented -- you can find some pretty exhaustive articles about it if you google the topic.
Hmmmm...that is not the way it is described by Amazon, though it may be that Amazon actively subverts their automated inventory control system to ignore item source when fulfilling.

Boost your sales with Amazon’s world-class fulfillment.

Steve
03-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Maybe they've started to care? Then again, I did get that counterfeit just a few weeks ago from a supplier than specifically said on their sales page "if the product doesn't look exactly like this with this label, it is counterfeit" and sure enough...

Google "amazon commingling" and "amazon counterfeit" -- plenty to read... WSJ had a pretty detailed article last year if you have access.
03-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Maybe they've started to care?
Perhaps...I did the Google work and found a FBA help page that describes the commingling option. It is not the default, but is available. Amazon still tracks origin, but will ship from the closest stock for commingled items.

Amazon.com Help: Stickerless, Commingled Inventory

Steve

(...am learning more than I care to about Fulfilled by Amazon...am even less inclined than before to deal with those merchants...)
03-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kayaken Quote
I've been using the Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB UHS for years in my K5, and now also in my K3. I never had a single memory card issue yet. I buy my cards only from B&H Photo. I would stay away from Amazon, especially after reading this post.
The same ones I use (rated at 80 MB/s read, 60 write), as well as some Samsung Pro (90/50 read/write). They have both worked very well so far, and I don't see any difference in performance between them.

So, yeah, whatever you buy, get it from a reputable dealer.
03-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #45

How many serial shots in series is able your K-3 to make with your cards?
Does it depend on card[s], or entirely on camera buffer?
Mine K-3 shoots 30-33 pictures in series (continuous mode, low speed) in RAW+ before it stops.