Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #46

Original Poster
If by "simply blanks" you mean the camera formats the card to delete all current sdcard partitions on that card, creates a new fat32 file system, sets that partitions boot flag to "boot", gives it the label "K-3", mounts the newly created partition and makes a dir on the card named "DCIM" THEN yes your correct it, "simply blanks" the card.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Formatting in-camera simply blanks the card and gives it the Pentax directory structure.

---------- Post added 03-21-15 at 06:04 PM ----------

The new cards came in along with the two USB3 cables and card reader I ordered separately. I must say the Kingston Digital MobileLite G4 USB 3.0 Card Reader is awesome! Actually has a weight to it being mostly aluminum(?) and some plastic, but the cables both had some kind of defect inside the female plug end. One of them stopped you from plugging in male plugs in to it and the other had a contact sticking up grounding out cables or not allow devices to connect. They are going back for refund along with the first set of sandisk cards I bought. So far no issues with the new replacements in the camera or out with carder readers now after shooting near a hundred photos, formatting a few times and performing read/write tests.

03-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Moto Fotoe Quote
If by "simply blanks" you mean the camera formats the card to delete all current sdcard partitions on that card, creates a new fat32 file system, sets that partitions boot flag to "boot", gives it the label "K-3", mounts the newly created partition and makes a dir on the card named "DCIM" THEN yes your correct it, "simply blanks" the card.
But... that's what I just said? Only I didn't use 200 words to say it???

Also, whatever directory structure is on the card shouldn't effect its use across whatever camera you stick it in. You can take a Canon formatted card, use it in your Pentax, then shove it in a Nikon, and not have to worry about it not working. The only issue you may run into would be if a camera uses a proprietary format of some sort to store its RAW files in (Looking at you, .PEFs...) that another camera won't read, which shouldn't make a lick of difference once you get home and download it anyhow.

I've done the SD card swap a number of times in the past between my Canon or Samsung point and shoots and my Pentax bodies if I realize I've run out of space and need to swipe the card from the P&S for the DSLR, or vice versa if I need the smaller camera over the bigger one.
03-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Moto Fotoe Quote
...some kind of defect inside the female plug end. One of them stopped you from plugging in male plugs in to it...
...will not go there...

Steve
03-23-2015, 02:39 AM   #49

Original Poster
..Thank you Steve for exercising some self-restraint

Its been a few days since getting the replacement cards and no issues to speak of shooting with them. Although SanDisk advertises read speeds up to 90MB/s and write speeds up To 95MB/s its closer to 88MB/s read 72MB/s write on average on my PC using the Kingston Digital MobileLite G4 USB 3.0 card reader. That was an average between both cards after running write/read speed tests half a dozen times each using F3 on both cards.

Last edited by Moto Fotoe; 03-23-2015 at 02:54 AM.