Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2015, 01:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

Fail much?! Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB UHS-1/U3 95MB/s

Anyone using the SanDisk Extreme PRO 32GB UHS-1/U3 95MB/s cards and having issues in quality? I just bought two off of and shipped from Amazon and had I/O errors and fails the 2nd night of light use transferring files to PC and memory corrupt errors in camera. I formatted once in the computer so the K-3 could read it then formatted in there before trying to use it again. I decided to make that my #2 used for jpg backups and video then used the other card as my #1 for raws. Now day 5 and the "good" one started throwing I/O errors when copying 4.8GB of photos over to another computer. There are three folders on the card from three different days of photos. First two folders are unreadable, third one will open, but there is clearly photos missing and a weird single 2.5GB file labeled "USBC°*".

I'm asking out of curiosity, not so much advice since these cards clearly appear to be defective to me and I could never trust them with my memories. I've been using older 8 & 16GB Lexar & Transcend cards with no issues what so ever for a year in same camera. 1st time in ages where I've had memory card issues like this and was hoping the sandisk cards where higher quality, but seems thats not the case. I'm going to give Sandisk another shot as I just requested replacements from Amazon. Hopefully the next pair are better than this.

03-11-2015, 01:38 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps you got some "counterfeit" cards? The extreme cards have lifetime limited warranties from Sandisk. Haven't had any issues with mine.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-11-2015, 02:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When I bought mine I didn't even bother formatting at first - they should be readable out of the gate. Formatting in-camera simply blanks the card and gives it the Pentax directory structure.

I've also swapped cards between a Canon point and Shoot and my K-30 before in the past with zero issues at all.
03-11-2015, 02:32 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses gentlemen. Counterfeit did cross my mind as well with both cards behaving so poor, but I can't tell from the packaging it looks legit as anything else to me eye. Either way the new cards are on there way to me and I've got ten days before the replacements get here.

03-11-2015, 03:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Absolutely no issues with my 16,32 or 64 extreme pros also apart from counterfeit I wonder if they haven't travelled through a high magnetic field before you got them?
03-11-2015, 03:47 AM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

No issue also for me.I have 4 Sandisk cards incl 2 Extreme Pro. After a minimum of 2 years for each card, not a single issue.
03-11-2015, 04:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My advice:

- run a tool like Recuva or photorec on your cards to get whatever data you can out of them;

- format all your cards using the formatter from SDcard.org

- for future use, only format the cards in camera;

- and, finally, make sure your card reader is not faulty and contributing to your problems.

03-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I would not buy SD cards that are fulfilled by Amazon AT ALL -- it doesn't matter who the seller is. Cards are an often counterfeited item, and Amazon just grabs stuff off their warehouse shelves by barcode match. NOT FROM A SPECIFIC SELLER'S STOCK. So if you have genuine cards sold by Amazon or some other reputable dealer, but also some counterfeit cards by a disreputable dealer (which are packaged the same with the same barcode as the real thing), they all get mixed together at the warehouse(s) (essentially) and it is a crap shoot if you get the real thing.

This is a real problem at Amazon for a lot of things (not high-value items -- they do separate those by vendor) -- counterfeit and genuine items mixed together, as long as the barcode matches they will send it to you. (Basically it comes down to what the closest warehouse to you has stocked, if they separated it by vendor so they only used the stock the vendor actually gave them then they'd be restricted to whatever warehouse that stuff resides in and they have to ship longer distances on average.) Amazon so far doesn't seem to care about this issue.

So I'd get my cards directly from a reputable authorized dealer with their own warehouse - B&H, etc.

Google "sandisk counterfeit check" -- apparently there are some things to look for if you have a suspected one...
03-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two SanDisk cards I bought with my K10D in 2007 (November). They are still working just fine. I also bought SanDisk flash drives (thumb sized USB drives) and they work just fine as well. I buy mine from camera stores. Might be a dollar or two more, but they are never counterfeit.
03-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #10
FOX

Photos: Gallery
No isseue here also with the same card
03-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

SanDisk are THE most counterfeited SD cards, bar none. I also had problems with a SanDisk card bought via but not from Amazon. SanDisk themselves confirmed the fact that my card was fake.

According to SanDisk the big give-away with mine was the absence of a serial number on the card itself; they say all their cards are serial numbered. Can't confirm this at present because I don't have a genuine one to hand, but I still have the counterfeit which (a) does not have a serial number printed on it, and (b) does have a slightly dodgy product label which is really only obvious when compared side by side with a genuine one.

Check any suspicious card with a utility called 'h2testw'. It read/write tests the card, hard! Any fake card will/should fail the testing regime.
03-12-2015, 02:28 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions above. Most of those softwares suggested are windows only, not sure how they would work in WINE or Virtualbox in Linux, but maybe I give them a try when I have more time.

I do have a question to everyone. Do these require a "new" or special card reader? The three card readers I use work for all my other older sd cards so not sure why these SanDisk cards would be an issue. Any suggestion on a reliable card reader, either USB2 or USB3? Thanks.
03-12-2015, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Moto Fotoe Quote
not sure how they would work in WINE or Virtualbox in Linux
Photorec runs natively on a variety of platforms:
PhotoRec - Digital Picture and File Recovery

Do these require a "new" or special card reader?
I'd play it safe and get a card reader that is USB 3 (for speed) and explicity says it can handle SD/SDHC/SDXC and supports the latest card standards, UHS-I and UHS-II.
(I picked up a Kingston MobileLite G4 card reader recently for $10 that does all that and it works a treat, as well as being very portable).
03-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Photorec runs natively on a variety of platforms:
PhotoRec - Digital Picture and File Recovery
Oh good to hear. I'll have to check it out when I'm home. Thanks.

Also thanks for the card reader suggestion as it looks like a good option for $10. Combined with a USB3 extension cable should do just the trick for me.
03-13-2015, 08:56 AM   #15

Get the latest K-3 firmware for the sake of your SDXC memory cards

Question:
Do you have the latest (v. 1.11) K-3 firmware? I had problems with Sony 45MB/s UHS-I card before upgrading K-3 FW, now it works like a champ.

-----
I just bought two off of and shipped from Amazon and had I/O errors and fails the 2nd night of light use transferring files to PC and memory corrupt errors in camera.

Last edited by Prakticant; 03-13-2015 at 09:03 AM.