Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #1

K-3 Exposure Button Stuck After Rain Exposure

I was out with some medium to heavy rain two days ago, with my Pentax K-3 and 18-135 WR lens. Although the camera was ( and is) alive, I noticed that lots of water had gone into the top LCD. After coming back, I could get it out by holding it reversed and using some paper tissues. However, after everything seemed fine, I noticed that if I want to use the rear dial to change aperture in Av mode, it will change the exposure always. Even when I turn it on, it is first in exposure change mode, and you can't get it out of that, as if the button is somewhat pressed always.

What do you think I should do? Bearing in mind they advertise K-3 as water resistant, and to its credit, nothing got into the main chamber of camera, do you think it would be a valid warranty issue?

03-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes. Though the owner does have a responsibility to be sensible (e.g., not dunking it in a river).

I wouldn't have expected the top LCD to be an entry point. You probably have a good case for a manufacturing fault.
03-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

The WR stands for "Weather Resistant"; so I doubt that the warranty would cover damage done in a heavy rain. I could very likely be wrong, so check what the warranty states on the WR bodies.

I myself, always use a rain cover over my equipment, just to be safe. They go from very inexpensive to expensive; depending on your needs.
03-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I wouldn't have expected the top LCD to be an entry point.
I agree and you certainly should not be able to "wick" the water out with a tissue! This is a gross failure of the WR seal.

Steve

03-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I've had my K-5 II & 18-135 WR out in some pretty heavy rain with no problems at all, other than cleaning rain spots off of the lens.
03-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for you helpful comments. Yes, I also don't have a problem with the lens. The body though was different than what I expected, and I didn't do anything reckless like submerging it in water!
03-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by soroush Quote
I was out with some medium to heavy rain two days ago, with my Pentax K-3 and 18-135 WR lens. Although the camera was ( and is) alive, I noticed that lots of water had gone into the top LCD. After coming back, I could get it out by holding it reversed and using some paper tissues. However, after everything seemed fine, I noticed that if I want to use the rear dial to change aperture in Av mode, it will change the exposure always. Even when I turn it on, it is first in exposure change mode, and you can't get it out of that, as if the button is somewhat pressed always.

What do you think I should do? Bearing in mind they advertise K-3 as water resistant, and to its credit, nothing got into the main chamber of camera, do you think it would be a valid warranty issue?
YES!!!
03-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #8

Interestingly enough, I hopped on this forum looking for a deal on a K-3, because my K-5 started doing this very same thing last night. I was out in a modest rain. I didn't feel the need for an umbrella or poncho, so I don't think it was heavy. I noticed water in my top LCD, and eventually it was as if the camera were permanently set to exposure lock (* star on the screen) but it was over exposed at that. Nothing I could do in Av mode would allow the shutter to shoot faster than 1/4. I had to shoot in full manual mode and video only.

I attached a photo of my top lcd with the water in it.

I'm hoping it will go back to normal once everything dries up.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
03-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #9

Maybe that water is condensation, but maybe not. It is strange that things like this happen, because you know that promo video with the K3 in the rain...
03-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nomadic Zen Quote
Interestingly enough, I hopped on this forum looking for a deal on a K-3, because my K-5 started doing this very same thing last night. I was out in a modest rain. I didn't feel the need for an umbrella or poncho, so I don't think it was heavy. I noticed water in my top LCD, and eventually it was as if the camera were permanently set to exposure lock (* star on the screen) but it was over exposed at that. Nothing I could do in Av mode would allow the shutter to shoot faster than 1/4. I had to shoot in full manual mode and video only.

That is too much water inside! In the meantime, do what's intelligent:

1 Remove battery
2 Open every single door, latch and pop up flash.
3 Remove lens too (from now on, keep lens mount always facing down to prevent dust or debris entry)
4 Prepare a seal-able container (Tupperware or like it) that can fit the camera body, facing down, sitting on at least two cups of dry uncooked white rice. Place a couple of tissue sheets over the rice, then camera on top of tissue.
5 Close lid and set aside for at least 48 hours.

After at least two days, all the water inside the camera body should have been gone for good. The uncooked (raw) white rice has better moisture absorbing capacity than pure silicagel (unfortunately, it also draws bugs, rodents and mildew after several weeks).

The most important step here is removing the battery. You do not want electrical currents flowing through wet circuits! That is the major cause for fatality in electronics!

After you made sure all moisture is gone, reinstall battery and check everything. It should be OK. Now, with time in hand, plan your route addressing this issue. Ask yourself it it was really that much rain and you feel the body seals are failing, or deep in your heart you do know you took your camera through a "Cousteau Journey"....

Let us know the outcome.
03-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #11

Original Poster

Mine also looked like that. Everything that I could see dried up, but the problem that I described was still there. I sent it for warranty repair.
03-24-2015, 04:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

That looks for all the world like condensation

The Pentax bodies are water resistant not air and as such if you take a camera from a warm humid environment into cold rain it will heavily condense possibly destroying the camera.
Sadly if it is condensation then the same wetness will be coating all the electronics as well.

I would have expected a single stream from the ingress point if it was SR failure.

I get a similar coating every time I take my camera from the car to a humid swimming pool environment , Luckily because its cold -> warm the condensing is on the outside.
03-24-2015, 06:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I'd definitely send it in for warranty and buy a k30/k50 body as backup. :P
03-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
That looks for all the world like condensation
That photo does indeed look like condensation (very, very heavy), but the OP's description sounded more like gross leakage since they were able to wick the water back out using a tissue. Not good.

Steve