Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
PC cable for K3

I have a really basic question, I was hoping someone here could help me out. I have one of these cheap strobe flashes, I'd like to try hooking it up to my k3 via a PC sync cable. But I'm not sure what cable ends I need to do so, I'm getting confused by all the options online being new to the world of sync cables. Am I looking for a "Sub Mini to Male PC Sync Cord" type of cord?

Also, if I want to run a number of such flashes, am I best off to let one optically trigger the others, or run a sync cable splitter?

03-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good question. The product description is not helpful. The socket on your camera is a standard female PC fitting, so a standard male PC should work on that end. One of the reviews indicates that a cord is included. I would call B&H to confirm before ordering. As for corded vs slave usage...I believe that these are conventionally used as slaves unless the setup make it difficult to trigger using light.

Steve
03-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
One of the reviews indicates that a cord is included. I would call B&H to confirm before ordering.
You might also want to ask if they know the trigger voltage at the PC pin. While your K-3 is supposed to use a hardened circuit for PC sync, there is no sense testing the feature with anything more than about 30V.

Steve
03-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You might also want to ask if they know the trigger voltage at the PC pin. While your K-3 is supposed to use a hardened circuit for PC sync, there is no sense testing the feature with anything more than about 30V.

Steve
You know, that is a great question. I'm not 100% sure I'd trust their answer. I have a cheap radio trigger I should really be using for this, avoid the potential risk to the k-3 all together. :O

Edit - that said, I have asked on BH, hopefully their reply will help someone else with the same question. I have one of these units already, they're really fun to work with.

Last edited by bobbotron; 03-24-2015 at 12:59 PM.