Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

How do you enlarge the K3 live view focus point?

UPDATE: I figured it out. Slightly counter intuitive, but you have to select the "AUTO" mode live view, then "1<->2" button, which then gives you the option to both resize and move the resized focus point around the screen. Knowing this, Ricoh should have possibly renamed the "Select" live view AF to "Moveable Spot" or something along those lines. I'm thankful they included both though, as the "AUTO" focus can not be made as small as the "Moveable Spot" focus.

Hello,

Does anyone know how to enlarge the AF point while in live view? Right now it's too small to effectively focus and I'd like to enlarge it to focus on more of the screen. I'm not talking about the zoom feature while in live view. On the k-01 there was an option when you pressed the 'info' button where you could adjust the focus point size. This option no longer exists in the k-3; I can only move the focus point around the screen. I've posted the two screens below. Any help would be much appreciated!

This video shows the focus issue with the small focus box at the 0:50 second mark.

k-01 pics:

k-3 pic

Last edited by rmtschanz; 03-28-2015 at 01:12 PM.
03-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hit the OK button in the back, It will zoom in 16x...
03-28-2015, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rmtschanz Quote
Hello,

Does anyone know how to enlarge the AF point while in live view? Right now it's too small to effectively focus and I'd like to enlarge it to focus on more of the screen. I'm not talking about the zoom feature while in live view. On the k-01 there was an option when you pressed the 'info' button where you could adjust the focus point size. This option no longer exists in the k-3; I can only move the focus point around the screen. I've posted the two screens below. Any help would be much appreciated!

This video shows the focus issue with the small focus box at the 0:50 second mark.
On the control panel you pictured above, go to the rightmost icon in the third row and turn the e-dial until you see "auto". Then, go in to live view, press the AF area button (the one to the right of the menu button) and you'll be able to adjust the size and position of the AF area).

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
But this won't increase the size of the AF area, since Pentax cameras cancel the zoom before starting to focus. See the method described above.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Stavri, but as I mentioned, it is not the zoom feature I am talking about. I was able to figure it out. In live view when you use the "AUTO" live view focus mode, hit the "1<->2" button, this will give you the option to shrink/enlarge the focus point and move it around the screen.

Thanks Adam. I was able to reach the same conclusion. You would think "Auto" mode would 'imply hands-off, can't adjust anything mode', but that's not the case.

03-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rmtschanz Quote
Thanks Stavri, but as I mentioned, it is not the zoom feature I am talking about. I was able to figure it out. In live view when you use the "AUTO" live view focus mode, hit the "1<->2" button, this will give you the option to shrink/enlarge the focus point and move it around the screen.

Thanks Adam. I was able to reach the same conclusion. You would think "Auto" mode would 'imply hands-off, can't adjust anything mode', but that's not the case.
Tried to help...my dumbness got in the way. It's the thought that counts....
03-29-2015, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #6

How focussing zoom worked in K5 IIs?
I was using K5 IIs for a short time and AFAIR the LV focussing worked with K5 IIs in a different way than with K-3 .

-----
06-08-2015, 12:07 AM   #7

Tried to help...my dumbness got in the way. It's the thought that counts....
Stavri, This info helped me , it was exactly what I was wanting to know. Cheers