Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I did a quick test in low light and medium light using a relatively slow zoom (f/4) and the OP is correct. The K-01 is a touch quicker than the K-3 in live view. I had assumed that they would be virtually equal. I'm not all that surprised, as Pentax did a lot to improve the responsiveness through the firmware updates.

It is also worth noting that the target area for the K-01 is much larger, allowing for considerably greater leeway than the the tighter focus area of the K-03. This probably explains most of the reason for speed of focus difference. This is based on selected focus at minimum focus area setting - which I'm quite sure most of us here use most of the time. (However, the focus tracking feature is also nice for recomposition.)

03-31-2015, 12:36 PM   #17

I just replaced K-01 with K-3 and i can assure that the cdaf of K-3 is absolutely faster and better than K-01.
K-01 is a nice camera, with an excellent image quality, but its AF is acceptable/good only with DA lenses and good light. With the Tamron 70-200 2.8 it's totally unreliable, missing each shot.
K-3 is faster with DA lenses (quite the same of Olympus e-m5/e-p5 that I had until few months ago) and with Tamron it catches the subject though slower. But it works even in low light.
03-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I did a test with the 50mm f/1.8. The speeds are similar overall, although the variation is not at all the same. The K-01 most assuredly is more consistently fast at very low light levels. However, the K-3 can be quicker at snapping to focus in medium-low light (nails it at the first swing without having to go back a second time). The K-3 is more prone to hunt excessively in very low light.

Much of this has a lot to do with the fact that the exact focus point is substantially smaller on the K-3. This is a huge benefit, and probably worth the difference in overall speed - which actually does go to the K-01 overall.

Those who have both cameras (testing them at the same time) might want to offer their view. However, what you "remember" isn't a scientific way to go about it.
03-31-2015, 02:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
The K-01 most assuredly is more consistently fast at very low light levels. However, the K-3 can be quicker at snapping to focus in medium-low light (nails it at the first swing without having to go back a second time). The K-3 is more prone to hunt excessively in very low light.
I don't have a K-01, but I really find this hard to believe. The K-3 has -3ev af sensors as well as f/2.8 sensitivity. The K-01 has neither of these. I shoot weddings which are very very dark and notoriously difficult on AF. After upgrading to my K-3, I have almost 100% keepers (in terms of focus accuracy), where as my K-5 was closer to 20%. My k-3 is very fast and accurate in low light. It does not tend to hunt.

03-31-2015, 03:01 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I don't have a K-01, but I really find this hard to believe. The K-3 has -3ev af sensors as well as f/2.8 sensitivity. The K-01 has neither of these. I shoot weddings which are very very dark and notoriously difficult on AF. After upgrading to my K-3, I have almost 100% keepers (in terms of focus accuracy), where as my K-5 was closer to 20%. My k-3 is very fast and accurate in low light. It does not tend to hunt.
You know that it's Live View that's being talked about, Enoeske? :-)
03-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Yes, we are talking exclusively of the CDAF comparison.

Just to recap, using a Pentax FA f/4 zoom (screw drive), the CDAF is quicker on the K-01.

Using a current (recently purchased) DA f/1.8 (screw drive), the result is somewhat mixed - with the K-3 sometimes faster in medium low lighting, but the K-01 considerably more consistent and with less hunting in very low lighting (around 0-1 EV).

I also notice that the K-3 has less of the entire field of view in the area able to be focused. However, with the K-3 able to focus to considerably tighter pinpoint - the effective field of focus probably is nearly similar. I should point out that all of my testing was done using center focus.
04-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I did a test with the 50mm f/1.8. The speeds are similar overall, although the variation is not at all the same. The K-01 most assuredly is more consistently fast at very low light levels. However, the K-3 can be quicker at snapping to focus in medium-low light (nails it at the first swing without having to go back a second time). The K-3 is more prone to hunt excessively in very low light.

Much of this has a lot to do with the fact that the exact focus point is substantially smaller on the K-3. This is a huge benefit, and probably worth the difference in overall speed - which actually does go to the K-01 overall.

Those who have both cameras (testing them at the same time) might want to offer their view. However, what you "remember" isn't a scientific way to go about it.
Off-topic a bit, but the K-3 will hunt less in low-light if you use the "AUTO" focus point mode, then press the "1<->2" button to shrink down the focus point size. When AUTO mode is shrunk down, it's moveable and larger than the center spot mode.

04-02-2015, 08:03 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA* 60-250 performs considerably better on K-3, than it did on K-01. Less hunting and quicker to lock the focus in live view. Although in PDAF it works somewhat better.
04-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtschanz Quote
Off-topic a bit, but the K-3 will hunt less in low-light if you use the "AUTO" focus point mode, then press the "1<->2" button to shrink down the focus point size. When AUTO mode is shrunk down, it's moveable and larger than the center spot mode.
I see what you're saying. I never noticed that 1x in Auto is a bit larger than Selectable. The hunting is a little less (just as the K-01 with the much-larger selected area hunts less). Seems like the biggest difference between 1x in Auto and the Selectable is that you can move the selection around much faster (about 5x), but the precision of where you end up is far-less exacting. Depending on the shooting situation, those are good choices to have. For my style of shooting, I would tend to use Selectable, but I certainly can see where AUTO would come in very handy.
04-28-2015, 12:57 AM   #25

I know this thread is old but I was using a k3 in live view today for about 30 minutes, put same lens on the k01, and I immediately thought about how slow the k01 was compared to the k3. Pure observation but I thought it was very noticeable. I was using the fa 43.
12-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #26
Forum Member

Just keep the K01 and buy her a back up for a couple hundred on eBay. Happy Wife Happy Life.