Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #1

Interval Composite with remote or timer?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

A question regarding interval composite on the K3...

Is there a way to trigger the first shutter release with a remote or by (2 or 12 second) timer? Im trying to replicate a long exposures with this function with my camera on a tripod and would rather not shake the camera by pressing down on the shutter button to start the interval.

I understand I can set the first shutter release to be a future time by starting the interval at 'Set Time' but that seems like a very clunky way to just reduce camera shake.

03-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used a corded remote for this purpose, though simply setting a delay is probably a lot easier. After all, you have already gone through the tedium of making the other settings.

Steve
03-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #3

Hi
I believe you will have to use the 'Set Time'. But on the other hand, if you are using this for long exposure I cannot see why initial camera shake due to operating the shutter release manually will have any influence on the result at all. The initial shaking will only last a tiny part of the whole exposure and will therefore not leave any traces in the final image.
03-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

not that I know but a shutter release begins the interval.....seems an ir remote would start the interval as a shutter release but do not know if you can set the camera to remote then go into interval shooting.......seems it would work
good luck!

03-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
not that I know but a shutter release begins the interval.....seems an ir remote would start the interval as a shutter release but do not know if you can set the camera to remote then go into interval shooting.......seems it would work
good luck!

I have not been able to find a way to use my IR remote to start the interval, unfortunately. Hence this thread.
03-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
good luck!
On the K-3, operation of the wireless remote and interval composite are mutually exclusive drive modes. A wired remote will work, however.

Steve

P.S. I don't see how indicating a delay as part of the interval setup is any more clunky than fiddling with the wireless remote. (I admit to not being a huge fan of wireless remotes...just one more thing to clutter the bag...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-29-2015 at 10:02 AM.
03-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

roger that

03-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Morning,

Pentax shares a wired shutter release cable/connector with Canon. You can get a very cheap release off of evilbay..... and if you desire, you can move the control of the interval off the camera in to the remote also.If you need a longer range, you can also go wireless.You can also set up the camera to be a single push, or one push to start with a second push to end.

03-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@nozoom - Not true if your frame includes any specular subjects such as stars against a dark background. Any slight movement will be recorded as a squiggle no matter how short the movement compared to the duration of the whole frame.
03-29-2015, 11:28 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You can get a very cheap release off of evilbay.
Or simply buy one from B&H or another regular dealer. I bought mine ($30 USD) for interval work with my K10D and have been very happy. An intriguing possibility is mixing the two intervalometers to do intervals within an interval.

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

As noted, these wired remotes have compatibility to some Canon models.

Steve
03-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@nozoom - Not true if your frame includes any specular subjects such as stars against a dark background. Any slight movement will be recorded as a squiggle no matter how short the movement compared to the duration of the whole frame.

I agree to that. Thank you for reminding me. For most "ordinary" long exposure pictures, hand operating the shutter release button will be sufficient. Important specular highlights (or more general important burnt out highlights) might require more carefulness if sharpness is important and stars will also require not only an ordinary tripod, but one with an equatorial mount.

I would however not use interval composite mode for long exposures if pin sharp specular highlights is important. I would use B (for bulb) and remote MUP (for mirror up with remote control). Then, the first press would rise the mirror, the second open the shutter and the third close the shutter (and lower the mirror). Otherwise you run the risk of the mirror shaking the camera and blurring the highlights.

Examples of "ordinary" long exposures could be softening water in waterfalls or softening waves on a beach, or for removing traces of people in open spaces or in front of a building, creating trails of lights from traffic in a cityscape or landscape lit by moon light.

Last edited by nozoom; 03-29-2015 at 05:20 PM.
03-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nozoom Quote
I would however not use interval composite mode for long exposures if pin sharp specular highlights is important. I would use B (for bulb) and remote MUP (for mirror up with remote control). Then, the first press would rise the mirror, the second open the shutter and the third close the shutter (and lower the mirror). Otherwise you run the risk of the mirror shaking the camera and blurring the highlights.

Out of curiosity, what would you use interval composite for??
03-29-2015, 06:13 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by PenTex Quote
Out of curiosity, what would you use interval composite for??
I have not used interval composite a lot, but I have used it for mimicking long exposure time where I else would have needed a dense ND filter (like softening water in a waterfall where there is too much light for long exposure times, even on lowest ISO and smallest f#)

I have however used multiple exposure for various reasons, which is the same, but then without the interval part.

And what would you use it for?

Cheers,
03-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nozoom Quote
I have not used interval composite a lot, but I have used it for mimicking long exposure time where I else would have needed a dense ND filter (like softening water in a waterfall where there is too much light for long exposure times, even on lowest ISO and smallest f#)

I have however used multiple exposure for various reasons, which is the same, but then without the interval part.

And what would you use it for?
Yes - long exposures with motion blur is what I am going for... So we agree that this is the way to do it.

I'm debating on a quality 10-stop ND filter and I want to dabble with this style of photography before I drop the dough on one.
03-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PenTex Quote
Yes - long exposures with motion blur is what I am going for... So we agree that this is the way to do it.
And multi-exposure isn't sufficient? It has modes for self-timer and remote-control... Just a thought.