Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
yeahh! My K-3 is home!

I just received my K-3 from B&H two days ago. I was going to go with the K-50 but then I learned about the K-3 here and it was a complete no brainer.

I am soooo happy with this camera it is unbelievable.. my first few shots with it Now granted my first day was all in AUTO because I was too impatient to learn how to use the settings I just wanted to turn it on and go LOL

These are the results, The second day, I went through the manual, I forced my daughter to hide the camera for me until I been through the camera manual, changed it and now shot in manual mode.. I am learning the focus points and the more of the details.. there is tons more controls, buttons and options than what I had on my Nikon D60 and this is a huge, huge learning curve.
Now I noticed my firmware was only 1.0.0. and not the one, so I will be going through the forums to figure out how to update this firmware. All I have to say is that I am a very, very happy camper, the great horned owl was at a 100% crop.

---------- Post added 04-02-15 at 11:33 AM ----------

By the way, these photos were NOT shot in Jpg but RAW :-)

Attached Images

04-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats!

What lens did you use?
04-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I purchased off from Craigslist three lenses, with the robin, I used my Pentax 35-135 and with the owl it was the Pentax 70-200

I also purchased an older 28mm Albinar Manual Macro lens
04-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on being a happy new K3 owner, yes it's quiet a machine. Reading the manual can be both rewarding and daunting. Re-reading it will be even more informative. Personally, I'd suggest that you take in steps, like say shooting modes, spend some time with P, then Tv, then Av, Tva (brilliant mode actually), Sv, M, B etc. Learn what works for you and what doesn't. Also there are several Pentax nubie questions which are likely to arise. For one, as far as firmware updates go, know that all Pentax firmware updates are inclusive/comprehensive whatever, doing the latest one will update your camera with all previous updates, so you will not have to do them sequentially, just download the latest one (version 1.03 as I recall), and update. It's quite simple once you've done it once. My general rule is always to update to the latest firmware by the way. These don't occur very often and usually they are to either fix a bug soon after the release of a new body or to incorporate a feature required to be used with some new piece of gear (lens/flash/astrotracker etc.). So take is slow and enjoy. I would also suggest that you read through and learn all of the custom switch settings, some of which you may never change but you should know they are there to change if you need them.

When you get interested in older film or manual lenses, you are likely to run into some new things to learn as well. That will come in time.

04-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for that,

I am unsure of the firmware thing, I never did that before so I will have to make sure and do it right, hate to screw it up lolol

Thank you for the suggestion and yes, there are new settings on this camera that I have no clue what they are like the TAV, Sv which I never knew about so that will be fun learning. I look forward to what it does and how to use them.

I already love the back autofocus and I love the little beep for when it is in focus, that in itself really made my photographs better. I love the green button for the automatic settings and then using the AE-L to make it stick... Just these little things alone have paid off for itself.

---------- Post added 04-02-15 at 12:41 PM ----------

The green button for the manual mode
04-02-2015, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgirl57 Quote
Thank you for that,

I am unsure of the firmware thing, I never did that before so I will have to make sure and do it right, hate to screw it up lolol

Thank you for the suggestion and yes, there are new settings on this camera that I have no clue what they are like the TAV, Sv which I never knew about so that will be fun learning. I look forward to what it does and how to use them.

I already love the back autofocus and I love the little beep for when it is in focus, that in itself really made my photographs better. I love the green button for the automatic settings and then using the AE-L to make it stick... Just these little things alone have paid off for itself.

---------- Post added 04-02-15 at 12:41 PM ----------

The green button for the manual mode
"....the excitement is Strong on this one...", "I can feeeel your happiness from your post..." Congratulations!
04-02-2015, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I use TAV primarily. I love it. It's basically a hybrid av and TV combined. You can control both aperture and shutter and let the camera decide the ISO. Some say that's not the best option because it's the ISO that is more important. The beauty about TAV mode is you CAN control the ISO by adjusting the aperture or shutter, whichever you decide is least important for that particular photo.
04-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Congratulations ! We're glad you're happy with your K-3. I bought the prestige model with the battery grip - the grip is really nice and kind of completes the fit. I'd recommend that you get a grip some time in the future.

I too had a Nikon once, and the lay out of the Pentax is so much better like the dual dials, green button and mirror lockup. Get yourself an infrared remote for on tripod auto focusing and shooting in mirror lockup.

The firmware update is real easy. Save your files on your SD card. Format your SD card. Download the Firmware update. Put the firmware update on the SD card. Make sure your battery is fully charged in the K-3. Put the SD card in the camera. I think its hold down the menu button or Back button and turn the camera on (just check this). Follow the prompts and install. It takes a minute. All up it should take a few minutes to do the whole job. Easy as easy can be.

Have fun !

04-02-2015, 08:05 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, actually all I brought was an extra battery and the battery grip actually came with the body for free!

The only issue Is that I have with it, I love how the batteries last longer with it and with the extra power storage, however, I am left handed and the grip is made for right handed people. That is a huge downfall because the buttons are on the wrong side of where I need them.

This battery grip will come in handy for when I am going to do time lapse or I need it on my tripod for the bigger lenses.

---------- Post added 04-02-15 at 10:07 PM ----------

thanks for the low down on the firmware ~
04-03-2015, 04:48 AM   #10
Banned

Actually, the latest firmware version is 1.11. Find it here: Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
04-03-2015, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My first DSLR was a K5. Since then I have added a K5-IIs and a K3. I got my K3 from B&H last December. It too came with firmware version 1.0 installed. in fact it was manufactured in December of 2013. I have updated it to 1.11. So far so good in about 150 shots. I had a long learning curve with my K5. Coming from basically manual cameras to a DSLR was pretty daunting. Way too many features to learn all at once.

What I did was simply sit out in the yard and learn how each feature functioned one at a time. To me the only real advantage that digital has over film is how quickly you can access the image for review or modify. A lot of my lenses are manual focus and some are even some Pentax M42 screw mount. By testing lens operation and looking at results I have figured out how to use all of them on my cameras. There is even an e-book out there about the camera.
04-03-2015, 07:40 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Looks like I will have to go buy and upgrade to an SD Card, Since the firmware takes 32b or higher. I only own 16 cards
04-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A lot of people use 8gb or 16 gb cards. Sort of like not putting all your eggs in one basket.
04-03-2015, 07:18 PM   #14
Banned

Looks like I will have to go buy and upgrade to an SD Card, Since the firmware takes 32b or higher. I only own 16 cards

Common misconception, it needs 32 MEGABYTES (MB), not GIGABYTES (GB). You're 16gb cards are more than roomy enough!
That said, the K3 can take advantage of faster cards. I use SanDisk 32gb Extreme Pro cards.
04-04-2015, 01:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

As Al-koholic already stated its a 32mb download. A RAW image from the K-3 is 30mb's, so the firmware download is just a little bigger than a K-3 RAW image. No need to worry.

But, you should really look at getting some high speed SD cards. I personally don't shoot much in continuous, so I only upgraded to a 64 gigabyte card with transfer speeds of 40 mega bytes per second. But its recommended that you get a card thats 95 mega bytes per second write speed, and higher. That is if you're pushing the envelope of sports/action photography. Its up to you.