Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #1

Exposure Bracketing Problems

Hi
Ive just got myself a K3, (Ive been using 2 K5 bodies & Ive physically damaged both)
when I put it into Exposure Bracketing, how do I get it to keep the same aperture?
On my K5 bodies its simple & I can get only the shutter speed to change, but the K3 adjusts both aperture & shutter speed.
Im in Manual mode & trying it side by side with 1 of my K5's using the same settings.

04-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put it in Av mode.

It works the same on my k-5IIs. In M mode it changes both aperture and speed. In Av mode the aperture is locked.

Unless there is a setting to change this that I'm not aware of that is how it has always worked for me.
04-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Put it in Av mode.

It works the same on my k-5IIs. In M mode it changes both aperture and speed. In Av mode the aperture is locked.

Unless there is a setting to change this that I'm not aware of that is how it has always worked for me.
In Av mode, the meter will be changing exposures, I need to be in Manual. My K5 doesn't work this way.
04-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biggzie Quote
In Av mode, the meter will be changing exposures, I need to be in Manual. My K5 doesn't work this way.
Maybe I am confused what you are trying to do. Exposure bracketing does change the exposure, is that not the point?

If I put either camera in manual and use exposure bracketing both aperture and speed are changed. If I put either in Av then only speed is changed.

What is your ISO doing? Do you have the k-5 in auto ISO?

04-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As I understand it, you are wanting to set an arbitrary aperture and shutter speed and have the camera bracket the shutter speed only. I have no idea how M mode bracketing works on the K-5 except for your description and to be honest, I find this behavior surprising About the best I can offer is to shoot in Av and use the EC and AE-L buttons to get the initial shutter speed you want.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-03-2015 at 08:25 AM.
04-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #6
Unregistered User

Why do you need to be in Manual? What is it you are trying to accomplish?
04-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As I understand it, you are wanting to set an arbitrary aperture and shutter speed and have the camera bracket the shutter speed only. I have no idea how this works on the K-5 except for your description and to be honest, I find this behavior surprising
The only way I can think of is if the ISO is actually changing as speed and aperture remain fixed. But I honestly do not know how to make that happen. Have not tested bracketing in TAv or Sv might have to try and see what happens.

04-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe I am confused what you are trying to do. Exposure bracketing does change the exposure, is that not the point?

If I put either camera in manual and use exposure bracketing both aperture and speed are changed. If I put either in Av then only speed is changed.

What is your ISO doing? Do you have the k-5 in auto ISO?
Yes that is the point, exposure is changing ... I have set the ISO, Aperture & shutter speed, then Ive asked the K3 to do a 5 shot bracket ... it is doing that, but I don't want the aperture or the metering to change.
With the both my K5 bodies in Manual, the Aperture stays constant & the speed changes. So I can set DOF & the camera handles the exposure.
With the K3, I set the exposure settings that I want, turn on Exp Bracketing & the 1st shot has less DOF than I want, & the last shots with more than I want.

---------- Post added 04-04-15 at 01:58 AM ----------

As I understand it, you are wanting to set an arbitrary aperture and shutter speed and have the camera bracket the shutter speed only. I have no idea how M mode bracketing works on the K-5 except for your description and to be honest, I find this behavior surprising About the best I can offer is to shoot in Av and use the EC and AE-L buttons to get the initial shutter speed you want.

Steve
I find the K3 surprising. The Exp Bracketing on all the other bodies Ive owned since the film days has been the same.

---------- Post added 04-04-15 at 02:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Why do you need to be in Manual? What is it you are trying to accomplish?
Im trying to get bracketing in Manual without the camera re-metering the shot & without changing the DOF

---------- Post added 04-04-15 at 02:06 AM ----------

Exposure Bracketing has worked the same on my K10, k20, & both my K5 bodies ... I don't see whats changed with the K3
04-03-2015, 08:39 AM - 2 Likes   #9

Yes that is the point, exposure is changing ... I have set the ISO, Aperture & shutter speed, then Ive asked the K3 to do a 5 shot bracket ... it is doing that, but I don't want the aperture or the metering to change.
With the both my K5 bodies in Manual, the Aperture stays constant & the speed changes. So I can set DOF & the camera handles the exposure.
With the K3, I set the exposure settings that I want, turn on Exp Bracketing & the 1st shot has less DOF than I want, & the last shots with more than I want.

---------- Post added 04-04-15 at 01:58 AM ----------

I find the K3 surprising. The Exp Bracketing on all the other bodies Ive owned since the film days has been the same.

---------- Post added 04-04-15 at 02:02 AM ----------

Im trying to get bracketing in Manual without the camera re-metering the shot & without changing the DOF

---------- Post added 04-04-15 at 02:06 AM ----------

Exposure Bracketing has worked the same on my K10, k20, & both my K5 bodies ... I don't see whats changed with the K3
You can set this in the menu. Go to menu item E-Dial Programming; in the 2nd tab there is a M line, where you can set the behaviour of green button to TvSHIFT.
Now the camera will only change shutter speed during brackets and when pressing green button in M-mode.
I had to do this on both my K-5 and K-3.
I hope this was what you were looking for.
04-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
Unregistered User

What I do is that I use Av, lock the exposure and bracket. That manual mode only should bracket the shutter is not logical. What if I want to only bracket the aperture while in Manual?
04-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smartinsen Quote
You can set this in the menu. Go to menu item E-Dial Programming; in the 2nd tab there is a M line, where you can set the behaviour of green button to TvSHIFT.
Now the camera will only change shutter speed during brackets and when pressing green button in M-mode.
Excellent ... that worked ... Thank you

---------- Post added 04-04-15 at 02:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
What I do is that I use Av, lock the exposure and bracket. That manual mode only should bracket the shutter is not logical. What if I want to only bracket the aperture while in Manual?
That depends on how you look at it, I find it not logical for the camera to change DOF while bracketing & that's the way every body has worked up to this.
I also find it annoying I couldn't find it easy in the manual or searching for help online.
04-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
Unregistered User

Really not very logical but great to know. Thanks!
04-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks! That is the obvious answer! I forgot about this hidden side-affect of the e-dial programming and it quite nicely provides an explanation for the OP's K-5 behavior.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-03-2015 at 09:19 AM.
04-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

None of my film cameras does automatic bracketing, though my K10D worked the same as my K-3.

Your K-3 brackets from the initial reading and does not change between exposures even if the light changes.

I believe that the default setting for the green button in M mode on the K-5 is the program line. That is how it is on the K-3. I suspect that yours was moved to Tv shift at some point since that behavior makes good sense to many people who mostly use Av mode.

Steve
04-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe that the default setting for the green button in M mode on the K-5 is the program line. That is how it is on the K-3. I suspect that yours was moved to Tv shift at some point since that behavior makes good sense to many people who mostly use Av mode.
Agree. Now that I checked that is on my list of programming changes for new bodies. Had to do it on k-5, k-5IIS and k-3. Maybe that setting is used for green button stop down metering on M42 glass? Don't remember except that I always change it for some reason and I was not aware it changed the bracketing behavior.