Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #1

Problem with Sigma Lens on K3

Hi Folks,

Well, here I am, needing some help with my K3 and a Sigma lens.

I just purchased a Sigma 70-300mm DG Macro, used. It arrived today and seems to be in great shape. I mounted it on my K3 and nothing seems to work. I get a flashing indication on the LCD and upper LCD,.......F--.

I also tried the lens on my K50 with the same indication. I can't find a reference to this failure in the manual.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!!

Jack

04-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F _ _ means that the camera cannot see the lens. First thing to check is make sure the lens has the aperture ring in the 'A' position. If it is in that spot, good leave it there. If that does not fix the problem try gently buffing the lens contacts with a microfiber cloth.

The problem is that the lens and camera are not communicating. That can be because:
04-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
F _ _ means that the camera cannot see the lens. First thing to check is make sure the lens has the aperture ring in the 'A' position. If it is in that spot, good leave it there. If that does not fix the problem try gently buffing the lens contacts with a microfiber cloth.

The problem is that the lens and camera are not communicating. That can be because:
You saved me! The lens was not in the A position for some reason. I didn't even know there was an A position and it was covered by a little lens holder strap. Color me a happy camper and a grateful member of this forum.

Jack
04-03-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
You saved me! The lens was not in the A position for some reason. I didn't even know there was an A position and it was covered by a little lens holder strap. Color me a happy camper and a grateful member of this forum.
You are most welcome! Glad I could help.

'A' position is legacy from film era and indicates auto exposure ability. On any modern camera just put it in 'A' and then forget about it.

If you want to play with manual aperture take it off 'A' and then you have to put the camera in 'M' mode and enable a setting in the camera menu. Not worth the effort if the lens has 'A' but if you ever buy an older all manual lens you can use it that way. See the link for more info if you are interested.

04-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
Might try that someday. This forum always amazes me. Somebody on here always has the answer!

I've worked with the lens a bit since my post and am really pleased with it. Sharper than my Sigma 18-250mm, which I really like. It'll get lots of work on animals in Teton/Yellowstone this summer.

Jack
04-04-2015, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #6

Just wanted to chime in. I have this lens and absolutely LOVE it. Especially in Macro.