Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #31
Site Supporter

It will be your primary editing machine or a secondary "on the go" Laptop?

I build myself a very nice PC for gaming and can edit very well (i5,16GB RAM, SSD's, 3GB vRAM) but my laptop (from 2005) was painfully even for Windows, i just ordered a Dell XPS13 (i7,8GB RAM, 256SSD)... i dont believe it will be as fast as my PC, but for editing i think it will be OK for my needs

04-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
It will be your primary editing machine or a secondary "on the go" Laptop?

I build myself a very nice PC for gaming and can edit very well (i5,16GB RAM, SSD's, 3GB vRAM) but my laptop (from 2005) was painfully even for Windows, i just ordered a Dell XPS13 (i7,8GB RAM, 256SSD)... i dont believe it will be as fast as my PC, but for editing i think it will be OK for my needs
excellent choice on the xps13
04-12-2015, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
but other software (OS, display clock, terminal windows) might want to get their CPU time.
Not quite sure how many tasks you run at a time; although the OS will take some time away from other tasks, terminals don't if you don't run applications in them and the clock is really minimal.

With current local prices, I can add a whopping 16GB extra memory if I opt for an i5 instead of an i7. I'm not that familiar with the latest developments in computers, but I think one benefits more from less swapping to HD in a multitasking environment than from hyperthreading.
04-12-2015, 05:25 AM   #34

With that kind of deal, take the memory.

And if you want more power wait some months and invest on i7 and sell the i5

04-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ckschempp Quote
My current toshiba laptop from 2006 is not cutting it. I have had my k3 for 2 months and am not liking the silkypix that came with it.
SILKYPIX has a really different user experience, but it generally does a good job and its starting to get some love in English over on FB. There are also some tutorials now on the silkypix.us site. Im getting to know it myself.
04-15-2015, 01:28 AM   #36

Photos: Albums
I've never had any problems with darktable when processing RAW files. The developers have stated that it isn't designed to process JPGs and every time I have tried, the computer either slows way down or the program crashes. Darktable is a wonderful piece of software and I've only just started using Lightroom after 5 years because I like how it integrates with Photoshop. I may switch back to developing the RAWs with darktable and skip the integration though because darktable works well for me.

I would recommend at least 16gb of RAM and a dedicated graphics card (GPU). You may not use the graphics card now, but if you get into using either Photoshop or GIMP (perhaps even the new products from Serif), you will want the extra power. While many here have stated that Lightroom (or another RAW processor) is all you typically need, eventually you may decide to try something new.

Luminance masking, manually blending exposures, working on panoramas, etc. Those things can all be done in Photoshop. Whether Photoshop is the best at any of them is another question, however, for $10/month, it is really good IMO. With a mid-2010 Macbook Pro and 8GB of RAM and no dedicated GPU, I have to add multiple steps to my workflow to get the file sizes from the K-3 down to something manageable when I work with more than one photograph at a time (HDR, panoramas).

Oh, and like others have said, a larger display that can be calibrated is a huge plus as well. I'm saving my euros for a larger display because the 13 inch Macbook Pro is simply not large enough when using many panels and such on any of the photo editing programs.
04-15-2015, 02:53 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I use Darktable on a fairly old Core 2 Quad q8300 (overclocked to 3.1Ghz) with 6 Gb of ancient DDR2 ram and a measly HD7770 GPU.

However, since Dt can exploit OpenCL capabilities (if you manage to have a fully functional OpenCL implementation installed, which sometimes is tricky) to do most of the processing on the GPU, i can edit the K-3 RAW files with a decently smooth and fast experience, the development times are within reason and much much faster (i tried it myself) than using only the CPU.

GPU computing can give a big boost, so for software that can take advantage of it like Darktable, any modern laptop with a fast i5M or i3M cpu, 8GB ram and a dedicated GPU will cut it just fine.

A dedicated GPU is completely useless if the software does not employ it for actual calculations, so its usefulness depends on your workflow