Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2015, 02:51 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, yes, but Pentax has always had unannounced sneaker fixes in their firmware updates.

04-15-2015, 02:52 AM   #17

I would welcome USB connection mode sleep time to be set as an option (15 minutes? 30 minutes? 1 hour?).
I notoriously leave my K-3 connected to the NAS (USB 3.0) ending with flat accu next day.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If there are more updates coming I'll skip this one for now.
04-15-2015, 02:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tethering to LR should be something to really considere in the upcoming firmwares.. dont know if is possible just via firmware.. but im sure that it will push the camera another level up. Actually i think that they say something about that feature at the PF interview at CP+..
04-15-2015, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
A change. Hitting Info button turns the screen off.

But I get the screen not showing anything but slightly lit. Hmm.
I installed v1.20 but was annoyed by the screen no longer switching off 'properly'. So I downgraded to v1.11, which I still had on my computer. So, anyone wondering if a firmware downgrade works, well - it worked for me...

04-15-2015, 05:43 AM   #20

Yep, same problem here with blinking screen when is off... So I just downgraded to 1.11 and it´s fine now
04-15-2015, 07:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Same question as last time - can anyone tell us Cinematographer types if the new firmware give us overlay free vision on the HDMI ?

And the way the first few posts were written, for a moment I hoped SR was now Sensor Shift, no such luck.

If anyone from Ricoh is reading - These are the Two reasons why I haven't bought a K-3.

I'm also guessing we can say goodbye to any hope of new firmware for K-01 / K-30 / K5 cameras.
04-15-2015, 07:53 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Same question as last time - can anyone tell us Cinematographer types if the new firmware give us overlay free vision on the HDMI ?

And the way the first few posts were written, for a moment I hoped SR was now Sensor Shift, no such luck.

If anyone from Ricoh is reading - These are the Two reasons why I haven't bought a K-3.

I'm also guessing we can say goodbye to any hope of new firmware for K-01 / K-30 / K5 cameras.
You already have the option(s) to turn off all the displays.
I do it all the time.
You just have to do it in all the places.

Granted, the output is 720p 60, but I record to my Ninja all the time now.

04-15-2015, 08:10 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
What features are you refering to?
Sensor Shift
04-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I installed v1.20 but was annoyed by the screen no longer switching off 'properly'. So I downgraded to v1.11, which I still had on my computer. So, anyone wondering if a firmware downgrade works, well - it worked for me...
Arghh too late... I have installed the latest fw and deleted v1.11 from my puter.
Very annoying bug, indeed.
04-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Any stellar improvements? If not I am planning on skipping this one until 1.21 arrives. My K3 doesnt exhibit the mirror flop issue so not much concerned about that fix in this firmware 1.20. Now if there are any must-have fixes rolled into this I am in
04-15-2015, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Had a chance to shoot a little today. I get the impression that this isn't a minor bug fix, but contains substantial reworking of some sub systems. I shoot mostly with a sigma 500mm f4.5 which has screw driven focus. Nice lens, sharp and quick focus. I got it last fall and have enjoyed the results, but a lens of that length takes a while to master. Maybe I was getting better, or maybe something was wrong, but I sent my K3 in for service to clean and adjust and check the auto focus. My intention was to send a calibrated body and lens to sigma so they could service the lens. Results were disappointing.

My second K3 body proved no different from the first. It hesitate to capture focus, and CAF mode would end up with nice focused shots for the first few then it would adjust out of focus. This with a reasonably static subject. Birds in flight were a challenge, especially in busy skies, and I found myself not even trying. Some scenarios were a fight to get any decent shot at all. I shot mostly single point focus, continuous.

I shoot extensively, a few sessions a week. Outside, wildlife, so no two situations are comparable, the only judgment is keepers and impressions.

So the two situations were as follows. An eagle was at the top of a tree beside the road. I got off three badly exposed shots perched, made adjustments, it flew off away and across, through trees and other obstacles, then in the clear moving away. No shots were any good due to it's eyes being in the shadow, but four of the dozen were sharp enough to consider. Three were of trees with an eagle behind. There was a noticeable difference in operation. Once the eagle got in the clear and flying away and to the left the continuous AF and continuous shutter sped up roughly twice the speed of what it was doing and the speed I was used to in that mode previously. 27 point continuous.Some thing changed in the algorithm. Is it better? I would say maybe.

The second scenario was when crossing the lake on a cable ferry I heard some loons calling. Grabbed my camera, single point AF continuous, shooting into the light, choppy water. It acquired focus and the shots were sharp although they sucked in every other way. I've done a fair bit of similar shooting of water fowl, choppy water with lots to distract the focus mechanism. Handheld there was no problem. Accurate and quick. A change? Not sure.

If you aren't at the edge of autofocus capability I would suggest waiting for the next update.

---------- Post added 04-15-15 at 09:46 PM ----------

A clarification on the info button to turn the screen off.

If your screen is off, info button press will get you the grid, and a second press of the info button will allow selection of the other info screens, such as level or status, or press info to turn the screen off. If you select the status screen pressing info bruins up the selection box where you can select screen odd and hit ok.
04-15-2015, 10:48 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Previously to shut the screen off after hitting info you had to select Display Off and hit Ok. Now it is the same as the K5 where you hit Info repeatedly and it turns off. But the back screen is slightly illuminated at the same time as the top screen is illuminated. As asahi man says, it is a bug.
As i wrote, my screen goes completely off, when i hit the info button and go to the Display off setting. no slightly illumination.
and for the autofocus: i got 3 Prime lenses (35 hd, FA 77 and DFA 100) and it seems that the autofocus is more accurat with less hunting, especially in low light conditions.
04-16-2015, 01:27 AM   #28

Could someone test, does the focus trapping work with this new firmware. I have a fw 1.11 and focus trapping is not working in it.
It would often be very handy when using manual focusing. With my K-5II focus trapping worked like a charm. Too bad, I had to sell it away.
04-16-2015, 03:56 AM   #29
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Supakatti Quote
Could someone test, does the focus trapping work with this new firmware. I have a fw 1.11 and focus trapping is not working in it.
It would often be very handy when using manual focusing. With my K-5II focus trapping worked like a charm. Too bad, I had to sell it away.
If you mean Catch in focus it does work with FW1.11
04-16-2015, 04:07 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
If you mean Catch in focus it does work with FW1.11
That I was meaning! I have tried with several lenses and checked, double- tripplechecked all the options of the menu to ensure, everything is right. But it does not work with me. In that case, there is something else wrong with my camera.
Tack so mycket Tjompen!