Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Please let me know how it works out.

BTW, if I did not fear the source, I was willing to go as high as $65.

04-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Yea for sure! If it doesn't work I'll relist as a premium antique flash pre - turn of the Century $65.00 watch for it (could not test had no batteries). By the way that Kx was stolen last year just after I got it; along with all my other good stuff. Some kind of a rude sign from somewhere or somebody????

Last edited by honey bo bo; 04-22-2015 at 05:19 PM.
04-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Probably the best option is to look for a Sunpak auto 383 or similar because it's small, powerful, well built, tilt and rotate, gives you auto-thyrister and a full range of manual ratio settings. It works very well with the on-board flash as controller (optical slave attached or wired) or as master with some fill. A Vivitar 285HV is OK too, but bulky and lacks rotate. The Nikon flashes mentioned are very well made, but I'm never confident about putting another system's dedicated flash onto the Pentax hot shoe.

Dumping pTTL option is a great choice. For years I did informal photos of a blink-prone group. This week I did the banquet - and several people said they were sure I'd see their blink on the shot - but it came after the one-and-only light pulse; every time they were amazed to see that the blink did not show up. Because I used a small (off camera) flash, light modification, and a small prime lens (21mm Ltd.) everyone was more at ease and natural. Here is the result:
Bowling Banquet 2015 - James Robins - Powered by Phanfare
04-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
UPDATE

First, thank you to everyone for your valued suggestions. Even though I choose a different direction, your suggestions helped me to learn and make a more informed decision.

What I ended up purchasing (round 1: My experimental choice)

I say experimental because I won't really understand my requirements until I get some experience with the tools I have purchased. I haven't done studio work (and artificial lighting) in nearly 20 years so, I am essentially starting over. To begin, I compromised and purchased one fully automatic p-TTL and two manual slave flash units. I will need more slaves but I will hold off until I fully discover my requirements.

- Pentax AF 360FGZ (used but described as in mint condition) $120
This flash was purchased for every day use... not just for studio work.
Now that I know a little more, I would more likely purchase a Metz p-TTL flash because they offer more 'bang for buck'. The Metz 58 AF-2 seems absolutely fantastic!

The slave flash units
The decision to purchase the brand, Yongnuo was based upon the overwhelmingly positive reviews of their products.

- YN560-TX Wireless Flash Controller - $37
Will control up to six flash units over 2.4GHz

- Yongnuo YN560 IV Wireless Flash Speedlite - $143 (for 2 units)
I am very impressed by its features. In addition to the huge number of features, it includes a PC hot sync port and external power connector.

I'll post a follow-up summary of my experience with this equipment in about a month or so.

BTW, I need to make one more purchase... a ring flash (or LED) unit that supports a 77mm OD lens filter thread. Any suggestions are welcome (I'll post a new thread a little later today).

05-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Honey bo bo... Hilarious! I was bidding on that one too! Sorry about my last bid. I think I cost you .50 cents. I decided not to pursue that one b/c my (irrational?) fear that anything donated to Goodwill is likely damaged. I hope I was wrong and you got yourself an amazing deal.

Made a run to the border today and picked up OUR AF500FTZ from The Good People @ Goodwil and it is every thing its supposed to do Slave works Manual Adj works and flash appears to have most of its original power.(not P-ttl). I also Picked up a DA18-55 WR $77 USD and DA50-200 WR $103 USD from Roberts on Ebay in mint condition. I intend on doing some remote shutter shooting this summer( Motion Sensor) and leaving the equipment out in the elements for a few hours. I'll bag the K3 but leave the lenses out in the elements. I don't want to Jynx myself but I've had good success dumpster diving. Regards Bruce