Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #1

K3-Strange Exposure Problem

I wanted to mention a recent glitch noted in my K3 and how it was corrected,.....I hope.

Early this morning I was photographing a Valley Quail perched on my deck. I took about 6 shots with shutter speed of 1/500th, F5.6, and Auto ISO. The camera was in Tv mode. I got nothing but black pictures. So, I switched to TAv mode with the same settings and got the expected results, normal pictures.

So, I rechecked everything in Tv mode and tried again. I had noted on review that the pictures showed ISO 100 in Tv mode, even though I reset it to auto several times. Still a totally dark picture. I tried again in TAv mode, and the camera correctly selected a higher ISO and the pictures were normal.

I had no idea what to do so I reset the camera. Everything works fine, at least for now.

I also posted this on the DP Review Pentax forum just to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Jack

04-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check your card. If the card is corrupted, it might be simply a matter to use a new card.
04-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Check your card. If the card is corrupted, it might be simply a matter to use a new card.
To test that theory, if the problem arises again, why not try putting two cards in your K-3 and have them both record RAW images at the same time.
04-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
I wanted to mention a recent glitch noted in my K3 and how it was corrected,.....I hope.

Early this morning I was photographing a Valley Quail perched on my deck. I took about 6 shots with shutter speed of 1/500th, F5.6, and Auto ISO. The camera was in Tv mode. I got nothing but black pictures. So, I switched to TAv mode with the same settings and got the expected results, normal pictures.

So, I rechecked everything in Tv mode and tried again. I had noted on review that the pictures showed ISO 100 in Tv mode, even though I reset it to auto several times. Still a totally dark picture. I tried again in TAv mode, and the camera correctly selected a higher ISO and the pictures were normal.

I had no idea what to do so I reset the camera. Everything works fine, at least for now.

I also posted this on the DP Review Pentax forum just to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Jack
Interesting. What ISO did the camera select in TAv mode? Also, why did the camera select f/5.6 or was that the maximum aperture?

04-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
I tried both cards with the same results. After a reset, both cards work fine.

---------- Post added 04-21-15 at 02:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Interesting. What ISO did the camera select in TAv mode? Also, why did the camera select f/5.6 or was that the maximum aperture?
As I recall, it selected ISO 3200 and the pictures were good. It was early in the morning.

Jack

---------- Post added 04-21-15 at 02:20 PM ----------

That was my first thought, so I tried both cards with the same result. It's almost like the camera computer was just stuck on ISO100 for some unknown reason.
Jack
04-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #6

Hi,
I believe this can be normal operation. If you are in Tv mode, and you push the ISO-button (by the shutter release button), you can select whatever ISO you want with the thumb wheel. If you change exposure mode, for example to TAv, and then back again, your ISO will still remain at the one you selected, even if it was on auto in TAv mode (it will always be auto in TAv mode). To get it back to auto when in Tv mode, you can push the ISO-button and then the green button. The text "auto" will now show in the ISO info window.

Hope this was of any help.

Cheers

(And excuse my English. It is not my native language)
04-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nozoom Quote
Hi,
I believe this can be normal operation. If you are in Tv mode, and you push the ISO-button (by the shutter release button), you can select whatever ISO you want with the thumb wheel. If you change exposure mode, for example to TAv, and then back again, your ISO will still remain at the one you selected, even if it was on auto in TAv mode (it will always be auto in TAv mode). To get it back to auto when in Tv mode, you can push the ISO-button and then the green button. The text "auto" will now show in the ISO info window.

Hope this was of any help.

Cheers

(And excuse my English. It is not my native language)
Well, I see what you mean, though I WAS certain that I had Auto ISO selected. I suppose I could have accidentally gotten into ISO100 somehow. If it doesn't ever happen again, I'll have to guess you were right. Thanks for the input.

By the way, your English seems excellent to me.

Jack

04-21-2015, 04:43 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
Well, I see what you mean, though I WAS certain that I had Auto ISO selected. I suppose I could have accidentally gotten into ISO100 somehow. If it doesn't ever happen again, I'll have to guess you were right. Thanks for the input.

By the way, your English seems excellent to me.

Jack
Maybe the camera just entered there by chance. Such things happens from time to time without any apparent reason. It might be electromagnetic noise or its like. By the way: If this happens again and you shoot RAW images with way to low ISO, don't throw them away. The K3 handles wrong ISO (to low ISO that is) very well. I often turn down ISO 2-3 stops (occasionally even up to 5 stops) to preserve highlights.