Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Pre-ordered.

Decided to go with Adorama because the bundled DA50/1.8 for $52 was too good to pass up. Also got the $20 extended warranty.

I sold my K-5 classic last year and have been shooting with just a K-01. The K-01 is really nice and my photos have never been sharper (well, at least for well-lit non-moving subjects), but I sure look forward to having two dials again.

05-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Genki Quote
I don't think is a good idea to buy this Pentax K3II right now.
Is better to wait the price drop like regular Pentax K3
I don't see a big difference between these two cameras and my question is
about the flash spot. The top cover are in plastic or metal?
This is a version upgrade, not a completely new camera, so in a sense you are correct about it not being THAT different. However, there ARE significant upgrades to autofocus and the IBIS technology as well as (likely) numerous small tweaks. This is probably a camera for people who bought the K-5 or K-5II/IIs, not for people who have the K-3. As far as the price drop - I'm not so sure it will. Waiting will work --
  1. Assuming the price drops in a reasonable time - $1,099 is a very good price!!
  2. Assuming you don't take into account the Opportunity Cost of NOT having the K-3II for the 6 - 12 months you wait for the price to drop
  3. Assuming once the price DOES drop you don't decide to wait for the next flagship, which will probably be announced right about the time you are ready to buy the K-3II
If you really feel the on-board flash is a necessity, don't wait - don't buy the K-3II at all. This camera isn't for you.

Of course we don't know yet whether the outer shell is plastic or metal, but why would the outer shell of this camera be any different than the K-3? It's probably engineering grade polycarbonate.
05-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Of course we don't know yet whether the outer shell is plastic or metal, but why would the outer shell of this camera be any different than the K-3? It's probably engineering grade polycarbonate.
As for the non-flash hump, I'm 99.9% sure it's plastic. The GPS antenna is in there.
05-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #19

Does anybody know if there's a delay in the new K-3 ii's? On B&H, their site used to say shipping on May 28th, but now it just says "Coming Soon." So I called them to ask if that change meant there was a delay and the person just kept repeating that they expect them soon, which of course they do since they originally said they'd be available for shipping by tomorrow. Just wondering if anybody knew about a delay. I'm eager to get my new camera prior to a photo trip I'm taking in about two weeks. Thanks!

---------- Post added 05-27-15 at 12:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Pre-ordered.

Decided to go with Adorama because the bundled DA50/1.8 for $52 was too good to pass up. Also got the $20 extended warranty.

I sold my K-5 classic last year and have been shooting with just a K-01. The K-01 is really nice and my photos have never been sharper (well, at least for well-lit non-moving subjects), but I sure look forward to having two dials again.
How do you get the bundle with the DA50/f1.8 for $52? Don't see this listed on Adorama, thanks.

05-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazelle01 Quote
How do you get the bundle with the DA50/f1.8 for $52? Don't see this listed on Adorama, thanks.
From the Adorama K-3 II product page, click on "Save up to $1550.00 with bundle." Then click on "Camera Lens Deals." You'll see a list of discounted lenses.
05-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
From the Adorama K-3 II product page, click on "Save up to $1550.00 with bundle." Then click on "Camera Lens Deals." You'll see a list of discounted lenses.
Thanks, Quicksand. That is a good deal.
05-28-2015, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #22

Well, to answer my own question. I just found out (from Adorama) that Pentax notified them that the cameras wouldn't be going out now until June 14th, so that's a delay of over two weeks from Pentax. Sadly, not surprising. And now I can't use the new camera on my trip out west where my primary goal was to test out its capabilities for night sky photography.

05-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #23

Well, to answer my own question. I just found out (from Adorama) that Pentax notified them that the cameras wouldn't be going out now until June 14th, so that's a delay of over two weeks from Pentax. Sadly, not surprising. And now I can't use the new camera on my trip out west where my primary goal was to test out its capabilities for night sky photography.

Well that's bad news. Was really hoping to get the body in time for some events coming up and relegate the k5-ii to backup. Wonder what the delay is from?
05-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexThorpe Quote
Well that's bad news. Was really hoping to get the body in time for some events coming up and relegate the k5-ii to backup. Wonder what the delay is from?
I pre-ordered and when I found this out said screw it !......I put my extended road trip on hold for 3 weeks for this ??
Don't think so...K3 and K30's hit the road at 6am......My K3II can now wait until Christmas Specials hit............................ ORDER CANCELLED.
05-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I pre-ordered and when I found this out said screw it !......I put my extended road trip on hold for 3 weeks for this ??
Don't think so...K3 and K30's hit the road at 6am......My K3II can now wait until Christmas Specials hit............................ ORDER CANCELLED.
I'm pretty pissed too. I scheduled a trip to San Fran for June 14th fully expecting to have this camera with me. Too late to cancel my trip now, so I'm not very happy. I'll be calling Pentax tomorrow to bitch, not that it will do any good.
05-28-2015, 05:53 PM   #26

I mixed up in my head adorama and b&h, my order of we from b&h and it just shipped and will be here on Monday. Whew, crisis averted!
05-28-2015, 06:41 PM   #27
Veteran Member

on it's way

Just got a notice from B&H that mine shipped today, will be here Tuesday
05-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm pretty pissed too. I scheduled a trip to San Fran for June 14th fully expecting to have this camera with me. Too late to cancel my trip now, so I'm not very happy. I'll be calling Pentax tomorrow to bitch, not that it will do any good.
I was told one thing and now its all changed. hasn't left a good taste in my mouth at all. I waited 3 whole friggin weeks and passed on some really good weather based on the release date......and I have no reason not to buy it before it hits $699 at Christmas now.

---------- Post added 05-29-15 at 10:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
Just got a notice from B&H that mine shipped today, will be here Tuesday
I would like to start an official "I Hate You" thread......lol.
Pentax Forum's sponsor or not.....Adorama lost my business for life. This was my first and last attempted purchase from them......... They blew smoke up my ass today and its a complete LIE.......B&H is shipping ! So that means the June 14th date for USA dealers was fabricated by Adorama ........... Im absolutely....."FUMING" !!!!!

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 05-28-2015 at 08:16 PM.
05-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #29

What the hell? B&H told me over the phone yesterday they didn't know when the Pentax cameras would arrive, but now today they're shipping? And Adorama told me today that Pentax delayed all shipments until June 14th? This is all strange.
05-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I know, right? I ordered from Adorama, where it still shows as a pre-order item. My order status is "pending." Meanwhile B&H has it in stock.

I'm feeling mildly aggrieved.