Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How important is the on-board flash?
I would consider buying the K-3 II regardless of whether or not it has a flash 16365.20%
I may buy the K-3 II, but the lack of a flash is discouraging 5923.60%
I would not buy the K-3 II because it lacks a flash 2811.20%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 12:31 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I think I have gone on about it and don't want to keep beating a dead horse but sometimes I don't understand the reasoning by others, and they probably feel the same way how I am responding too.

Hi Jim, don't get too beat up by all this Flashgate. I'd just suggest you don't consider it a question of (wrong?) reasoning; it's IMHO a matter of preference. Some don't mind carrying additional stuff (or not having it), some do.

04-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since I trigger my external flash with the built in flash I will have to buy yet another flash or trigger to get this working again... The GPS I already have and only use for astro. I really do not understand the thinking of putting a GPS in the camera but not WiFi. Both AND flash would have been my guess. I am a little dissapointed.
04-23-2015, 01:41 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Since I trigger my external flash with the built in flash I will have to buy yet another flash or trigger to get this working again

I got a pair of Yongnuo RF-603CIIs for ~50 EUR a couple of months ago and I rarely mount flash on camera since.
Regardless of what they do in K3II (which I'm not going to buy anyway) or other cameras, I'd never go back to popup flash or most of the time even a camera mounted flash.
04-23-2015, 01:57 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Hi Jim, don't get too beat up by all this Flashgate. I'd just suggest you don't consider it a question of (wrong?) reasoning; it's IMHO a matter of preference. Some don't mind carrying additional stuff (or not having it), some do.

Agree

I don't think there is a right or wrong reason and I would not think to want to change a persons thinking, it is just nice to see the other persons perspective. All in all, I think it is that we are all passionate about our Pentax cameras.

04-23-2015, 02:08 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I found a working af280t flash for about 10e, which works on new Pentax DSLRs. Never going back to built-in flash.

If I had the money for the new K3II , I would definitely buy it.

No WiFi or NFC is a bit weird, because KS-2 has it and the new flagship doesn't, not sure why.

Improved tracking/continuous AF ==> Great!

4.5 stops SR ==> Great!

Pixel Shift High resolution mode ==> Interesting but usable only in specific situations, tripod, cityscape, static scene

GPS ==> meh. Not sure if I would ever use it.
04-23-2015, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Won't buy - understand the business decision by Ricoh though

I can't / won't use the K-3 II as my only camera because it lacks the popup flash.

I want to have a camera for family outings in sunshine.

I use the K-3 + DA15 + DA70 in a pocket for that now and I use the popup flash for fill at
close range. It looks good enough for me if you dial it down -0.7. Yes I can tell it's a
flash shot by the nose and chin shadows and the catchlights in the eyes. But it's still
better than a PP fix. I'd rather not pack a hot shoe flash for that kind of work, not
even the new small 201 flash. I probably could, I just don't want to.

I don't know what I'll do when my K-3 "retires". I might get the current top tier crop
body. I could grab a compact camera on the side for sunshine snaps if the popup flash is gone
for good in the top tier lineage. Or I might just get the midrange body to obtain a popup flash.

Hopefully my K-3 will last me years and years.

Regards,
--Anders.
04-23-2015, 04:32 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The GPS is far more useful to me than on-board flash. I use an O-GPS1 on the K-5 but all to often I forget to fit it or it hasn't got lock by the time I want to shoot - plus I can't use my remote triggers on the hotshoe if the GPS is fitted.
04-23-2015, 04:53 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have other cameras that I can use for casual indoor shooting (K-01, Q, Q7) when I would need an onboard flash. For those uses a K-3 is overkill anyway. On rare occasions I could have used OBF for fill light shooting landscapes when traveling. I can actually think of only one shot - shooting out of shade into the green-blue/white sand Gulf, framed by an overhanging palm. I was carrying an SV. That's lliterally the only time I wished for OBF.

I never use a camera with multiple off-camera flashes; I often use my K-3 outdoors when hiking, or seeking landscapes. I suppose GPS would be interesting.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-23-2015 at 05:58 AM.
04-23-2015, 05:29 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I rarely use the built-in flash and I always have the 360FZGII with me in my camera bag. I understand other people may want to use it for convenience, as flash controller or as fill flash. I would buy the k-3II at some point in the future, but for now, I am fine with my k-3. No, it does not affect me - flash or no flash.
04-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #25
Pentaxian

My old 1Ds didn't have a pop-up flash (it seems many of the higher-end Canons don't), but I never missed it. I wasn't using flash as much back then, but now that I do use flash more often, I never pop the onboard flash on my Pentaxes. External flash works much better, and if I don't have it, I bump up the ISO, which looks better because in dim environments pop-up flash always looks horrid.

So, yeah, I think this differentiates the K-3II from the KS-2 a bit more, in terms of typical users and uses.

Last edited by panoguy; 04-23-2015 at 05:50 AM.
04-23-2015, 05:57 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I HATE Pop-Up Flash on any DSLR. To me it was another great selling point and very attractive to NOT have it....Pre-ordered mine !
There should have been a fourth choice on the poll for those of us that not only voted "Didn't Matter" but actually wanted it without !
Its being advertised as a "Field Camera".......why would I want On-Board flash ? Don't forget...it started on Amateur camera bodies years ago and wasn't widely accepted then when it first came out by a lot of photographers.
If Im buying a "Pro" Body , it only cheapens it for me to have a cheezy little Pop-up flash on top that can get damaged. I want a hot shoe , and a nice viewfinder any day of the week instead.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-23-2015 at 06:06 AM.
04-23-2015, 06:49 AM   #27
Pentaxian

If I buy a K-3II it will be for the on board GPS. That is way more use to me than on board flash. When I get back from a 12 day trip, I can spend a serious amount of time trying to figure out where various pictures were taken. I use flash about twice a year and I always have a flash in my camera bag. The pop up is convenient, but rarely useful.
04-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If I buy a K-3II it will be for the on board GPS. That is way more use to me than on board flash. When I get back from a 12 day trip, I can spend a serious amount of time trying to figure out where various pictures were taken. I use flash about twice a year and I always have a flash in my camera bag. The pop up is convenient, but rarely useful.
Is that why so many people want GPS ? I didn't take it into consideration at all because I couldn't really understand why I would Need it ? Is there an interface somewhere that allows a "searchable" base for images at a specific GPS location ?
If it was that could be very handy when trying to pull up specific images in a mess of unknown files.
04-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with the following poster. I'd rather have it for those moments when you need fill flash and you don't have your hotshoe flash.

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
My only use for the on-board flash is to fill those under-the-eyes shadows when taking close snapshots on daylight.

It's also conveniently useful for those "got-to-have-those-crap-moment" shots (because wifey told me to get a shot!) even when I know that they'll turn up like crap, e.g. dimly lit candlelight dinner with in-laws and without a tripod.

If I buy a camera without on-board flash, that means an external flash may take up permanent residence in the bag.
04-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Why are results hidden?
It's not like someone is going to win a prize at the end.
Can the progress be opened for view?