Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How important is the on-board flash?
I would consider buying the K-3 II regardless of whether or not it has a flash 16365.20%
I may buy the K-3 II, but the lack of a flash is discouraging 5923.60%
I would not buy the K-3 II because it lacks a flash 2811.20%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #106
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
You can't get shadows like this with an onboard flash.
...and you don't have to remember to configure so the onboard does not contribute to the exposure.

Steve

04-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #107
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I just can't wait to see the results of the poll next week, so we can have this discussion all over again.
You are a glutton for punishment...

Steve
04-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Using a PC cord, I assume?

Steve
No, he uses small radio triggers, like most hikers he's a nut about shaving weight off pack. I saw one of his pictures where he had backlit some ice that was hanging off a rock cliff - quite beautiful. I think a coupla small radio triggers would be less volume than a long pc cord. I've thought about carrying flash on a hike before, but the weight of tent, sleeping bag, food, etc. always killed the idea for me. But this guy is younger
04-25-2015, 11:03 AM   #109
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I've thought about carrying flash on a hike before, but the weight of tent, sleeping bag, food, etc. always killed the idea for me. But this guy is younger
If 65 pounds is the limit - assuming site-filtered, on-location water - ounces matter. You agonize over whether to take an extra pair of liner socks.

Pounds are 30,000 foot decisions.

04-26-2015, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #110

It might not be for you, but onboard flash is crucial for me. I don't use it often but when I need it, it's a must-have tool that I've always appreciated . Even outdoors I use it for fill. It's such a little thing. I never thought it would be thrown in the trash in favor of a trendy GPS system!.

There's a chill of censorship on the internet where innocent criticism of Pentax is involved these days. Watch innocuous threads closed for no real reason. You may think different, but people notice and it gives them extra incentive to jump ship. What ever happened to democracy?
04-26-2015, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #111
Pentaxian

Democracy is that some can buy the K3II, others can buy the K3. I'm certain Ricoh will gladly take your money.
04-26-2015, 05:26 PM   #112

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Democracy is that some can buy the K3II, others can buy the K3. I'm certain Ricoh will gladly take your money.
However you deflect my point, I still insist that onboard flash is way more important than GPS. The flash we take for granted is an essential tool much more relevant to photography than knowing the precise location of where you took your last picture.

Speaking as a landscape photographer: In purely practical terms the GPS will help me to reshoot, at the same time or place, if I blow the shot and need to redo. That's a good thing, but It will also give other photographers exact coordinates to copy my shot if I don't strip off the exif data. I'd rather have the flash which directly affects my photography in ways an extraneous GPS obviously can't do. The convenient onboard flash is a more useful photographic tool for me. Hate to see it go off the flagship, that's all.

Last edited by jeff knight; 04-26-2015 at 05:46 PM.
04-26-2015, 05:45 PM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
However you deflect my point, I still insist that onboard flash is way more important than GPS. The flash we take for granted is an essential tool much more relevant to photography than knowing the precise location of where you took your last picture.

Speaking as a landscape photographer: In purely practical terms the GPS will help me to reshoot, at the same time or place, if I blow the shot and need to redo. That's a good thing, but It will also give other photographers exact coordinates to copy my shot if I don't strip off the exif data. I'd rather have the flash which directly affects my photography in ways an extraneous GPS obviously can't do. The convenient onboard flash is a more useful photographic tool for me.
No, you deflect my point. If you want a flash buy a k3. If it doesn't matter, buy a k3ii. You would rather one thing, others would rather another.

If enough people agree with you the next iteration will have a flash.

Personally, I don't care either way. If I'm using a flash I have either a ring flash for macro or a remote wireless gizmo, or a hotshoe flash or wired remote depending on what I am doing. Almost every situation where I used the built in flash has been improved by another technique. I like the idea of Geo tagging built in. But neither are features that will be the deciding factor.

04-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #114
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you don't want the GPS data in your EXIF, don't turn on the GPS. The button is right there on the side of the viewfinder.
04-26-2015, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #115
Site Supporter

There's a chill of censorship on the internet where innocent criticism of Pentax is involved these days. Watch innocuous threads closed for no real reason. You may think different, but people notice and it gives them extra incentive to jump ship. What ever happened to democracy?
Where did that come from???

Steve

P.S. Did something change? This forum is privately owned and operated. We are all guests here and our free speech privileges are just that, a privilege. If, in management's opinion, we misbehave, we may find our voice muffled. Think of family conversation around the table at dinner and use that as your guide.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-26-2015 at 06:35 PM.
04-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I love PF and spend more time here than any other of the forums that I spend time with. Why ? Because it is informative and for the most part all the participants respect each others views even if we don't always agree.

After roughly 801 posts and 44K reads on the other thread in question, I think it was time to close that thread as we were not going to all agree or disagree on that matter and it is time for healing. I don't think it is a tyrannical thing for PF to close it, and I think that, in my mind, PF is the best site for all things Pentax, and the individuals are really great people, I love their passion with Pentax just as I do.

I only hope that we can let it go in regards to the "Specs for the K-3II" thread and there isn't any residual damage because of those who posted for or against their opinion. I am at a loss for some of the comments made and I don't know why. Someone who had said that they checked my number of posts for that thread and said I wont stop posting, and that I had posted over 40 times. I was interested in what was said and looked on my stats myself and I had posted 21 times over a 5 day period. Is that too much ? Or is there a limit to what we can discuss even if we disagree with options ? It doesn't matter which individual and I have never thought to see how many of each individuals and though yes at times I may add a counterpoint, I am not bashing an individual because of his opinion.

When it got to a point for me, I was posting on a different matter, not about on board flash, about a different topic, but another individual replied to my post saying I am just moaning and complaining for the last few days. and it was not even about the topic, nor was I complaining about the post, I just replied with others people opinion. As with everything here, we can choose to reply to a thread or we can ignore it or disregard it, that is everyone's right.

I hope going forward when all the dust has settled that we can all discuss anything we want, and it will not be a rehashed of all that happened before. We should move forward and not back.....and alway value everyone's opinion here.

Enough for me needed to be discuss on this topic.

Last edited by JimC1101; 04-26-2015 at 09:42 PM.
04-26-2015, 09:34 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It might not be for you, but onboard flash is crucial for me. I don't use it often but when I need it, it's a must-have tool that I've always appreciated . Even outdoors I use it for fill.

Much the same for me, Jeff - I use it in daylight too where possible..
04-27-2015, 08:05 AM   #118
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's a chill of censorship on the internet where innocent criticism of Pentax is involved these days. Watch innocuous threads closed for no real reason.
The other thread was closed because it was getting too personal between too many members. It was closed because people were being criticised, not because Pentax was being criticised. It had, in fact, become the exact opposite innocuous; it had turned hostile.
What ever happened to democracy?
This forum is not a government operation. It is private property. The owner of this property has invited us all in to participate. We are all his guests here and he has the right to decide how it's used, what may and may not be said and done, just as you have the right to do the same on your property.

This thread is about the lack of on-board flash on the K-3II. Let's stick to that, shall we?
04-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #119

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
You are missing the option "I am more likely to buy the K-3ii now because it has a dedicated GPS and I dont need to carry a separate one for all my hikes/night time photoshoots" I really think that it is now the perfect outdoors camera. Super high resolution, geo tagging, WR.
That is so true!
04-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #120

I own the K-3 and since 2 models ago I wished to have GPS integrated instead of externally mounted on top of my camera (won't buy it because of creepy handling)...IMHO nice improvement and no need to have an onboard flash for photography in nature (birding, plants) if you want to get the real colors converted into your pics. And yes, there will be the exceptions where also there you would like to have an ad hoc flash available for documentation..., but (almost) everbody is carrying a smartphone around... that'll do those exceptional situations, right?