Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How important is the on-board flash?
I would consider buying the K-3 II regardless of whether or not it has a flash 16365.20%
I may buy the K-3 II, but the lack of a flash is discouraging 5923.60%
I would not buy the K-3 II because it lacks a flash 2811.20%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
FYI, I use the Flashpoint (Meike) Mini Speedlight in manual mode with my Pentax K-3 and it works splendidly. Shown here in my kit: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/273575...beautiful.html

and here is a review: MeiKe MK-300 is a cheap, mini TTL flash with full controls | Lighting Rumours

Michael
Meike looks good only no bounce like the Nikon SB400--maybe i can hotwire the Nikon to work in manual mode somehow..funny my old Olympus 43 flash works fine on Pentax.

04-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Meike looks good only no bounce like the Nikon SB400--maybe i can hotwire the Nikon to work in manual mode somehow..funny my old Olympus 43 flash works fine on Pentax.
Bounce and the small size are the two things that make the AF201FG interesting, to me. If only it was available somewhere (February 2015 announcement, April non-availability). Maybe it's going to be offered as a bundle with the K-3ii.
04-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #63
Pentaxian

I have one body that has WiFi and flash (and rotating touch-screen LCD*), one with WiFi, GPS and no flash. I have a tiny 2-battery bounce flash as well with every setting only adjustable through the camera.

I will probably never use Wifi, and only then to use my smartphone as a remote when I have a tripod with me. So, let's say no.
I will never use GPS. I pretty much know where I am.
I seem to always have the small flash in the bag - the bag I leave at home.
I have used pop-up flash on only a few occasions, usually in dark mausoleums. (If you have seen my grave marker thread, you may understand, or not :-)

*I do use the rotating LCD fairly often - it will focus where I touch it and take the shot - handy when my eye and the finder do not line up.
04-23-2015, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member

Pentax folks often clamor for a "professional" camera model, but too often - fight against it.

I would contend that having gps associated with your pictures, having astrotracer capabilities, and having a flash not permanently attached your camera are all hallmarks of a "professional camera".

A pop-up flash cannot be removed from your camera, so you would have to carry a separate flash for professional duties that might call for an off-camera flash. Most professionals i know talk of the advantages of a off-camera flash. I take all of my theatre head-shots and protraits with off-camera flash and radio triggers.

On the other hand, being able to pinpoint where pictures were taken via gps might be somethig a stock photo site might demand, or might be useful in putting together guided tours and lectures. I can also see gps and an electronic compass built-into a camera as a possible safety measure if one is really out there in the woods and perhaps "lost" or in need of help.

IMO, the K3 II is more of a professional camera with these features than it was before.

04-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #65
Pentaxian

I think this camera is no longer aimed for the general enthusiasts, but for those discerning and "knows what to do" photographers. (And have the ability to purchase external flash. aka pros and those that have a fat wallet)
04-24-2015, 02:07 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I think this camera is no longer aimed for the general enthusiasts, but for those discerning and "knows what to do" photographers. (And have the ability to purchase external flash. aka pros and those that have a fat wallet)
The release price of the K-3ii plus a small flash (separately, without bundling, should Ricoh decide to do that) is still less than that of the K-3 at its release, so I don't see how your "fat wallet" argument holds, here.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 04-24-2015 at 02:15 AM.
04-24-2015, 02:13 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Funny thing... On-board flash is one of the things that brought me to Pentax back in the late 80ies. IIRC the SFX was the first AF SLR with an on-board flash, and my not having to purchase a separate flash made an important difference in what system I could buy into with my budget (=my earnings from a month long summer student job). What did I know... I was 18 years old...

Many years later... Pentax now being the first to leave out on-board flash in this class of camera doesn't bother me at all. I've only ever used it to control a remote flash, and then only very rarely. For fill in it just doesn't work most of the time because of the size of most of my lenses, so I don't use it for that at all. I *am* "fortunate" in having two external flashes, so I'll just take the two of them for the few times I am required to use off-body flash. For the rest I would be perfectly happy to have *all* my images tagged by a GPS! and no longer be limited to 20s exposures for my starscapes at 16mm.

Conclusion: out with the on-board flash!

Wim

04-24-2015, 02:36 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Even in dark conditions I tend to forget there is a pop up flash on my camera. Only use it for Macro with a pringles tube. Will have to make a new one that fits the oll' Sunpack that came in with a LBA run.
04-24-2015, 03:32 AM   #69
Banned

Unfortunately I need both functionalities almost equal: built-in flash (as a wireless controler + fill flash) and gps+astrotracing
Most of the time I am using off-camera flash wirelessly controlled by builtin flash.
With K3II I'll have to deal with cables (again) for off-camera flash TTL control.
But that is not a dealbreaker for me, I would buy K3II but only if it have better pixel shifting IQ and better continuous AF.
Otherwise K3 with external GPS will be a simpler and cheaper setup in compare to K3II with external wireless TTL flash controller).
04-24-2015, 04:49 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Garbage flash. Not sure how much worse it is than the flash on the camera, considering that most people are saying that they use it in one in several hundred to a thousand shots. Some folks are saying that they always carry a diffuser for the pop flash with them, but if you are going to do that, why couldn't you just carry a small flash to pop in the hot shoe?
The diffuser folds flat and sits in any flat pocket - literally no more than 3x3 inches. Now if Pentax comes out with a good diffusion flash that fits the same way - that will be quite the accomplishment. I'm yet to hear of anyone who has used the flat diffusers (on-board or external) indicate that they prefer other portable diffusion devices.
04-24-2015, 05:40 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
The diffuser folds flat and sits in any flat pocket - literally no more than 3x3 inches. Now if Pentax comes out with a good diffusion flash that fits the same way - that will be quite the accomplishment. I'm yet to hear of anyone who has used the flat diffusers (on-board or external) indicate that they prefer other portable diffusion devices.

From most of the posts here, it seems that the onboard is shot full power and used as is. With that, I can understand no one else likes to use it. There are many other options available to lower the power and as you said, use a pop up flash diffuser. In those instances the pop up works well. Again, my first choice would be external but the onboard is, or was there, so it can be used creatively without adding an external..
04-24-2015, 06:07 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
From most of the posts here, it seems that the onboard is shot full power and used as is. With that, I can understand no one else likes to use it. There are many other options available to lower the power and as you said, use a pop up flash diffuser. In those instances the pop up works well. Again, my first choice would be external but the onboard is, or was there, so it can be used creatively without adding an external..
Totally agree ! pop up flash is cheap, not super versatile but very useful when needed, must be used with a diffuser or bounce up the ceiling
04-24-2015, 06:17 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everything debated here requires an off-camera accessory (even the diffuser) which can be forgotten or lost. The K-3 II changes the accessories needed to get full functionality out of the camera for its targeted users.
04-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Everything debated here requires an off-camera accessory (even the diffuser) which can be forgotten or lost. The K-3 II changes the accessories needed to get full functionality out of the camera for its targeted users.

Well, not necessarily, the diffuser, yes, it could be lost but with the on board and reducing the power by 1 stop, you can get a fairly good pic without blown highlights. No accessory needed.

If I know where I am going to be, sure I will take my external but if I am out and happen to stop in at a pub and my friends want a quick shot, I can adjust the onboard and get a decent pic. From now on though, if I didn't bring my external, my drunk friends wont get those pics they love so they can remember where they were. :P

But they could find out where they were by using GPS,
04-24-2015, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
However, there are times when having fill flash as close to the optical path is very helpful - even required - to get the best possible image. Those who brag that they have never resorted to use of an on-board flash are simply admitting that they haven't figured out how to use a benefit of the camera creatively - making an image better.
Oh please... really? You can't figure out how to carry a flash in your camera bag and you think there's something other people haven't figured out?

Listen, the whole use of a DSLR is the ability to use accessories. If you can't manage one accessory, be it an extra lens or a flash, you should be shooting Point and Shoot or Bridge camera. Not speculating on what other people do and on't know based on their preference for external flash. I'm not going to insult everyone by making up fake scenarios where someone's camera runs out of battery because of over use of the internal flash, or the stupidity of turning your back on bounce flash, because of over reliance on the internal flash. I'll leave those points for someone else to make.

How's that for making a point and pretending you didn't?

I'm not at all argumentative, just thinking out loud.

If I'm going to take a flash shot in a bar for my mates, it's probably going to be shot with the Optio W90 that's in my top pocket. I'm not even going to get into the hassles of looking after a DSLR in public places.

Hey check this out....

opened in the default image editor "Preview" on a mac, and click the GPS window in the "Inspector and you can see where it was taken. Also , it's a pixel peeper taken with pixel shift,

Last edited by normhead; 04-24-2015 at 08:35 AM.