Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How important is the on-board flash?
I would consider buying the K-3 II regardless of whether or not it has a flash 16365.20%
I may buy the K-3 II, but the lack of a flash is discouraging 5923.60%
I would not buy the K-3 II because it lacks a flash 2811.20%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #121

NFMsNFA abounds.

04-27-2015, 11:51 PM   #122
Veteran Member

I think this thread....... along with Pentax........ flash or no flash.........Is Doomed ! lol.
Oh wait......can a "POLL" be Doomed ?
Its nice that Im a Pop-up flash hater ! The K3II is absolutely perfect for me and I get the latest model without feeling Im missing a single thing......finally.....for once.......There is happy dances in my thoughts over Pentax.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-28-2015 at 12:06 AM.
04-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #123
Veteran Member

If someone had asked me the flash question 2 years ago, i prob. would have said flash. But since then, i'm having really good results with off-camera flash/radio trigger usage. Inexpensively by the way, radio triggers are out there in many varieties.

There's something else i noticed last night. I was using the K5, and when i installed the O-gps1, it required me to work with a menu item each time. The K3 programming is different. You select astro tracer from a menu first time but after that you work from a modified Bulb menu. But this Bulb menu lets one select exposure times in 10 sec increments up to a max of 5 minutes. Its like a Manual exposure mode, except its no longer limited to 30 sec, but 5 minutes. I think this is a terrrific programming. 30 sec limitation on Manual mode would always push one into buying these funky cable switches. The only thing i; wondering about now is whether there is a way to use the 0-gps1 as a bulb mode modifier without the tracking mechanism working. If not, i'm hoping that Pentax will continue to improve the bulb exposure mode into a more dynamic mode than what all other makers have - hint, hint.

Anyway, i'm very cheered to see Ricoh trying more out of the box stuff with the K3II and their new lenses and the resolution enhancer. I like that old Pentax advertising program - BE INTERESTING - and now Pentax is. FF is going to be a wow product - and i will wait for it.
04-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #124
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
To me, it just screams Afternoon at the DMV
LOL..I absolutely love that analogy. How many pro's do you see ever use a pop up flash.

04-28-2015, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
AF201FG Dimensions*
It uses 2 ea. AAA batteries, not 4 ea. AA batteries. IMHO that's about as pocketable as an off-camera flash can be.
* Special Note: It is only 1.20" deep.
That flash size and weight is pretty much the same as O-GPS1, it's cheaper than O-GPS1, and both are lighter than the 15mm F4 limited, one of the lightest lenses you can buy.

I suspect that most Pentax K-5/k-3 owners carry at least one additional lens with them even when travelling light, and shoving a small 150 gram flash in their pocket or bag as well isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to portability - but it will enhance flash quality and range compared to K-3. And with K-3 II there are all the other benefits that some will use. And it's going to be faster to fit than changing a lens.

No camera will ever please everyone but, really, I don't see what all the fuss is about regarding no OBF for K-3 II. It's a great example of Ricoh thinking out of the box, more of this, please!

Last edited by Dave L; 04-28-2015 at 07:32 PM.
04-29-2015, 06:47 AM - 2 Likes   #126
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
LOL..I absolutely love that analogy. How many pro's do you see ever use a pop up flash.
I don't know? Your turn....... How many Pro's do you see shooting Pentax? You really think no flash will draw them?

I won't buy a car without turn signals, even though I have two arms. Without air bags, even though I have seat belts.

...and I would never have this shot and many, many, more without OBF. You only have seconds to get many shots and if you have to mount a flash, those seconds are lost forever. Nope...I don't like any flash other than studio strobes, but I don't like seat belts either and I wouldn't drive without them.

What are the odds I'd get a second chance at this after I went back and got a flash to mount...or even if I had one handy in my bag? How many shots will you miss?

Regards!
04-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #127
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I don't know? Your turn....... How many Pro's do you see shooting Pentax? You really think no flash will draw them?

I won't buy a car without turn signals, even though I have two arms. Without air bags, even though I have seat belts.

...and I would never have this shot and many, many, more without OBF. You only have seconds to get many shots and if you have to mount a flash, those seconds are lost forever. Nope...I don't like any flash other than studio strobes, but I don't like seat belts either and I wouldn't drive without them.

What are the odds I'd get a second chance at this after I went back and got a flash to mount...or even if I had one handy in my bag? How many shots will you miss?

Regards!

Nice shot.

04-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #128
Pentaxian

Regards!
Gee.... I feel really bad now. Please forgive my blatant stupidity.
04-29-2015, 12:26 PM   #129
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Right. You never want to give up features. That's why when I bought a new computer last year I demanded that they install a floppy drive.

04-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #130
Pentaxian

5.25 inch right?
04-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Gee.... I feel really bad now. Please forgive my blatant stupidity.
Don't feel bad....I screw up about a dozen times a day...or more...but not on buying a camera with no flash!

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's why when I bought a new computer last year I demanded that they install a floppy drive.
For you that makes good sense. At your age all the information you can process in your shrinking brain will fit easily on a floppy disk!

Think of me this way......when the KWhatever comes out and the long line of Pros is there to grab it up because it has no flash I won't be in the line blocking your quick access!
Or...you might think of me some other way...that will be just fine with Otis!

Regards!
04-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #132
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

At your age all the information you can process in your shrinking brain will fit easily on a floppy disk!
04-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Yes...I do know the feeling..better than you!

Regards!...just kidding about those long lines, I bet the new buyers can get right in with hardly a wait!
04-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Right. You never want to give up features. That's why when I bought a new computer last year I demanded that they install a floppy drive.

And I thought I was bad looking for Windows 7 !

04-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Still waiting for the solution from the wannabe "pros" to those of us who travel light for assignments that demand it (using no more than one external flash), and understand the benefits of modest fill light coming from as close to the optical axis as is possible. It isn't as though pro-oriented cameras costing more than the K-3 - including FF models above entry level - don't include on-board flash. While some good arguments have been offered in favor of integrated GPS and astro-tracing, apparently the response to valid points regarding on-board flash needs is unnecessary - other than appearances or personal shooting habits. Nothing about the on-board flash capability makes it a good analogy to the floppy disc. In fact, Pentax made the on-board flash far more relevant in the expanded capabilities on the K-3, then promptly dropped it in the B version.