Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How important is the on-board flash?
I would consider buying the K-3 II regardless of whether or not it has a flash 16365.20%
I may buy the K-3 II, but the lack of a flash is discouraging 5923.60%
I would not buy the K-3 II because it lacks a flash 2811.20%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2015, 07:15 AM   #151
Veteran Member

The poll results show that 89% of respondents don't care about OBF or don't care that much.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

The above link shows how dramatically Pentax has lost its claim to "compact size". Sony is now making full frame cameras that are smaller than Pentax APS. I've had both on a table in front of me, and my favorite K3 just looked clunky. Why should a noisy minority determine future camera design?

I'm glad Ricoh is looking to the future. Most of the members in my camera club have or are considering smaller cameras to carry around. Time to lighten up and shrink these SLRs.

04-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #152
Pentaxian

No surprise. Maybe someone did an exif scan of flickr or some other similar site and found the built in flash used extremely rarely.

Geo tagged photos have become the norm.
04-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
The poll results show that 89% of respondents don't care about OBF or don't care that much.

The above link shows how dramatically Pentax has lost its claim to "compact size". Sony is now making full frame cameras that are smaller than Pentax APS. I've had both on a table in front of me, and my favorite K3 just looked clunky. Why should a noisy minority determine future camera design?

I'm glad Ricoh is looking to the future. Most of the members in my camera club have or are considering smaller cameras to carry around. Time to lighten up and shrink these SLRs.
Yes it is very fair to compare mirrorless to dslr . You cannot shrink them because of the mirror box en the gears needed to operate the mirror and shutter.

04-30-2015, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #154
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep, and if the poll reflects the public at large, maybe Pentax really does know what they're doing.
Pentax is NOT Doomed.
OK, now we have to seriously look into your mental state.

I mean they may have done something right, but that in no way implies they aren't doomed.

"Pentax is doomed" is one of the pre-eminent photographic philosophies of the 21st century.

At least as important as "I think, therefore I is."

Last edited by normhead; 04-30-2015 at 07:33 AM.
04-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #155
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Yes it is very fair to compare mirrorless to dslr . You cannot shrink them because of the mirror box en the gears needed to operate the mirror and shutter.
I guess that explains why even the K-2S dwarfs my Super Program.

Steve
04-30-2015, 11:53 AM   #156

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess that explains why even the K-2S dwarfs my Super Program.
But the Super Program has neither a built-in motor drive nor anything like the sensor shift mechanism (unless you want to consider the pressure plate on the back equivalent). Add the Motor Drive A and then compare them. I won't ask you to add a small flash though.

BTW: My friend who's parents owned a camera repair business said that motor drives like those were camera killers. Many of the repairs they did were from mechanical failure from use of the drives. The consumer level cameras were not sturdy enough to handle mechanical stress the drives could cause. The current DSLRs seem to be much more robust in dealing with the motor drive.

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-30-2015 at 12:08 PM.
04-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #157
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The current DSLRs seem to be much more robust in dealing with the motor drive.
Really?

04-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Really?
Well, in the old movies, we used to love the sound of that Canon shutter with a motor drive.
04-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
5.25 inch right?
Heck no, 8" floppy drive is what I was first using.
04-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #160
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Heck no, 8" floppy drive is what I was first using.
Try finding a pc-case that can fit one
04-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #161

But the Super Program has neither a built-in motor drive nor anything like the sensor shift mechanism (unless you want to consider the pressure plate on the back equivalent). Add the Motor Drive A and then compare them. I won't ask you to add a small flash though.

BTW: My friend who's parents owned a camera repair business said that motor drives like those were camera killers. Many of the repairs they did were from mechanical failure from use of the drives. The consumer level cameras were not sturdy enough to handle mechanical stress the drives could cause. The current DSLRs seem to be much more robust in dealing with the motor drive.
What is the function of a motor drive on a DSLR? We're not talking about the attachments to advance film, are we?
04-30-2015, 02:28 PM   #162
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

But the Super Program has neither a built-in motor drive nor anything like the sensor shift mechanism (unless you want to consider the pressure plate on the back equivalent).
Oh...I am sorry. I thought the mirror box was blamed as the cause for the bulk

Steve
04-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #163
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
What is the function of a motor drive on a DSLR? We're not talking about the attachments to advance film, are we?
Operates the mirror and shutter at 6+ fps...

Steve
04-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #164

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
On the other hand, I don't understand what the K3 II has to offer over the K3 for those who have no use for the GPS/astro tracer unit. As far as we can tell, it has the same sensor, same frame rate and same specs otherwise. The pixel shift feature doesn't seem particularly useful for either pros on assignment or wannabe pros as you so adroitly call them.
Bug free firmware?????

1.20 for the K3 has been slated in another thread for causing the main LCD to glow when should be off and, if I read one comment correctly 1.11 has bug which affects Catch in Focus.
04-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
What is the function of a motor drive on a DSLR?
It's to advance the Digital Pictures on the SD Card. Duh.....