Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How important is the on-board flash?
I would consider buying the K-3 II regardless of whether or not it has a flash 16365.20%
I may buy the K-3 II, but the lack of a flash is discouraging 5923.60%
I would not buy the K-3 II because it lacks a flash 2811.20%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash or No Flash

The announcement of the K-3 II seems to have sparked a small debate about the importance of the on-board flash. The K-3 II is the only DSLR in its class to lack a built-in flash, but will the feature really be missed? Tell us what you think in the poll!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pop-up flash doesn't work with most lenses. I've tried to use it a few times but it casts a shadow with all but the smallest lenses.
04-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The popup flash is sometimes convenient. But it definitely is not a deal breaker for me; if I was in the market for a new 'flagship', I would buy regardless (and add a small flash in the bag).
04-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought we had something similar a few weeks back when the FF was discussed. I could be wrong though.

04-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Pop-up flash? Bleah!
04-22-2015, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Pop-up flash doesn't work with most lenses. I've tried to use it a few times but it casts a shadow with all but the smallest lenses.
Many of us shoot primes a lot. In any event, a nice, cheap pop-up flash modifier is cheap and softens the flash - and no lens shadows.
04-22-2015, 09:23 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

I am always under the belief that it is better to have but not use versus want to use but not have but I would never say it is a deal breaker, just inconvenient thus discouraging.

04-22-2015, 10:11 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I almost never use pop-up flash for light in a dark scene, but I do use it for fill, especially when on holiday. That's exactly the situation where I wouldn't consider a hot-shoe unit because it adds space.

I imagine that Pentax/Ricoh had this change in mind when they announced the AF201FG mini flash a few months back (PENTAX - AF201FG). I also imagine that there will be some kits available with this flash bundled and that may go some way to mitigating the removal of the inbuilt unit.

It's important to remember why the flash was removed - it wasn't to make the camera smaller or to allow anything important to be added - it was to add GPS, something that is undoubtedly far, far less important to photography than a flash, even a pop-up one. That's what makes it a bad decision.
04-22-2015, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I have no plans to get a K3II but if I was thinking about it the lack of an on camera flash would totally stop me from buying. As much as the K3II will cost it should come with one even if I choose not to use it 99% of the time. If they can put video capacity into it, something I have absolutely no use for, then they can darn well supply that rudimentary flash. I'd rather have the flash than the video. Seriously, it's a total deal breaker.
04-22-2015, 10:41 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Flash or No Flash
The announcement of the K-3 II seems to have sparked a small debate about the importance of the on-board flash. The K-3 II is the only DSLR in its class to lack a built-in flash, but will the feature really be missed? Tell us what you think in the poll!
You are missing the option "I am more likely to buy the K-3ii now because it has a dedicated GPS and I dont need to carry a separate one for all my hikes/night time photoshoots" I really think that it is now the perfect outdoors camera. Super high resolution, geo tagging, WR.
04-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Only last week was I thinking, "Good God, I hate the built-in flash, and I wish it would go away." AND NOW MY WISHES WERE GRANTED!!! I have never improved any picture through the built-in flash-- the quality of the light is just too bleh. To me, it just screams Afternoon at the DMV. I used it a few times for synchronizing my off-camera flash, since I'm too cheap/lazy to buy a flash cable or radio triggers, and while it's fine for indoors, it doesn't work in bright light. So...yeah. To me, built-in flash = sadness and fail.

GPS, however, I would use all the time, since I'm mostly a landscape photographer. That would be awesome.
04-22-2015, 11:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The trouble with having on board flash is that I am basically lazy.
If I didn't have on board flash, I would never be tempted to use it "coz its just a quick snap of, xxx, family member")
04-22-2015, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

My only use for the on-board flash is to fill those under-the-eyes shadows when taking close snapshots on daylight.

It's also conveniently useful for those "got-to-have-those-crap-moment" shots (because wifey told me to get a shot!) even when I know that they'll turn up like crap, e.g. dimly lit candlelight dinner with in-laws and without a tripod.

If I buy a camera without on-board flash, that means an external flash may take up permanent residence in the bag.
04-23-2015, 12:18 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Well I hope RP did a similar survey prior to releasing this.
Personally, I welcome the omission of on-board flash. It's useless for both my zooms and I keep pressing that bloody button when shooting in portrait orientation. Now I understand there couldn't be significant reengineering here, so GPS is a nice replacement, but in future models I'd prefer they stick to not having the flash either, and instead they provide larger prism or whatever else viewfinder-related they can cram in there.
Also built in radio for flash control would be nice (but they'd have to standardize on this first I suppose).
04-23-2015, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

The post that Adam started basically said the K-3II but that is a moot point since it is a done deal and there is no looking back. We have to consider that all on board flash for any of our cameras will basically get the same answer...and I hope Pentax is listening.

Sure, the FF is considered a pro camera but any of us will most likely buy it to use all the time, not just in studio. so the lack of on board flash will most likely give the same results by users. I think I have gone on about it and don't want to keep beating a dead horse but sometimes I don't understand the reasoning by others, and they probably feel the same way how I am responding too. Use a full power on board and sure you will get a DMV pic with harsh shadows. Power it down to 1/2 or 1/4 power and you define the shadows but don't overwhelm the picture to the point that it does not even look like a flash picture.