Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixel shift and bracketing

Am I wrong to assume that employing pixel shift technology will not reduce the value of bracketing scenes with wide DR?

Thanks

04-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Based on other tech. using similar approaches, I'd say this produces gains in both DR and noise performance also.
04-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's interesting. One of the things I was concerned about was if you need to use both, it seems like there is more opportunity for ghosting than the current method where less frames are taken (e.g., moving palm fronds .... in my dreams, etc.).
04-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't think it will remove the need for bracketing, particularly for very high dynamic range scenes. It will definitely lengthen the individual bracket exposure times, and so be more susceptible to subject movement, but you get your cake and eat it while it isn't moving!

Speaking of cake, I have a Sigma SD1 Merrill, which already produces files like the K-3II will in pixel-shift mode, but without the combination of exposures. Considering the Foveon sensor is really poor over ISO 200 (!), the need for static subjects is already part of the drill, so I think the K-3 II will just be a weird "upgrade" of a sort.

One thing I haven't read yet is whether the pixel-shift output files will be the new DNG format that supports greatly increased bit-depth??

04-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I don't think it will remove the need for bracketing, particularly for very high dynamic range scenes. It will definitely lengthen the individual bracket exposure times, and so be more susceptible to subject movement, but you get your cake and eat it while it isn't moving!

Speaking of cake, I have a Sigma SD1 Merrill, which already produces files like the K-3II will in pixel-shift mode, but without the combination of exposures. Considering the Foveon sensor is really poor over ISO 200 (!), the need for static subjects is already part of the drill, so I think the K-3 II will just be a weird "upgrade" of a sort.

One thing I haven't read yet is whether the pixel-shift output files will be the new DNG format that supports greatly increased bit-depth??
I have a Sigma DP2 Merrill... I am also looking forward to how this works and your not on ISO performance is spot on... I just hope the original K-3 could get the pixel shift feature through a firmware update
04-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I just hope the original K-3 could get the pixel shift feature through a firmware update
Ditto. The pixel shift feature would be nice for my still life work but I don't see myself getting the K-3II since the K-3 still feels new to me.
04-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The improvement in DR is that it stores more information in the parts that still have information. Where parts are blown out, the pixel shifted image will not retain any more information than normal. You would still need to do bracketing to recover those areas.
04-23-2015, 02:06 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I'd have to send a love letter to Ricoh if the K-3 is both capable of pixel shift and they release it via a free firmware update in the coming weeks.

The same for any upgrades with AF-C that might pertain to the K-3.

Would the outpouring of goodwill towards Ricoh's management of the Pentax brand be enough to convince them it is a wise business decision? I don't know, but I hope so.

If not, well, color me envious, but I'll pass on the K-3II.

04-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Finchj Quote
I'd have to send a love letter to Ricoh if the K-3 is both capable of pixel shift and they release it via a free firmware update in the coming weeks.

The same for any upgrades with AF-C that might pertain to the K-3.

Would the outpouring of goodwill towards Ricoh's management of the Pentax brand be enough to convince them it is a wise business decision? I don't know, but I hope so.

If not, well, color me envious, but I'll pass on the K-3II.
The sensor shift technology may require the newer SR hardware on the II. Hopefully, AF performance can be upgraded with firmware.
04-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
The sensor shift technology may require the newer SR hardware on the II. Hopefully, AF performance can be upgraded with firmware.
I don't believe so. The K-3 is already doing pixel level wiggle to simulate aa filter. Adding to that, the camera will be kept still at all times during the pixel shift mode. So the improved gyroscope doesn't really apply for any other situation than handheld shooting.