Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 04:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixel shift practical applications

I'm wondering where the practical applications would be for the pixel shift technology.

I imagine that product photography would benefit, as well as perfectly static landscapes and architectural shots.

Seems like it wouldn't be as valuable for landscapes with motion, I.e., moving leaves, water motion or architecture/city shots where there are people or cars moving.

Of course, things in motion are out.

04-24-2015, 04:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't imagine long exposures (waterfalls, star trails) will suffer too much, since the feature would actually increase the desired blur in the motion. It's the very fine details outside of the motion that will benefit the most. Shooting basketball, not so much...
04-24-2015, 04:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good point....I guess long exposure would work...but I imagine it would turn into ultra long exposure with four images being taken.
04-24-2015, 06:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Good point....I guess long exposure would work...but I imagine it would turn into ultra long exposure with four images being taken.
We aren't sure but with a capability at over 8 frames a second I believe it could be very fast. But then again are they 4 shutter actuations ? Or is the new SR/Gyro and the shutter going to combine efforts and only open and close once while recording the 4 ultra high speed individual variations/shift ? We don't really know the details yet.
I went all in on this one because of landscapes only. I think anything else its capable of will be a bonus.
Im sure long exposures will work also.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-24-2015 at 06:22 AM.
04-24-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think the #1 use case in Pentax's mind was landscape photography, but any type stationary subject should benefit as long as you're on a sturdy tripod.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
But then again are they 4 shutter actuations ? Or is the new SR/Gyro and the shutter going to combine efforts and only open and close once while recording the 4 ultra high speed individual variations/shift ?
My guess is that the sensor records 4 back-to-back images with the mirror saying up and the shutter opening and closing, but perhaps it's all done electronically. We'll have to wait and find out!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-24-2015, 06:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The total exposure time does not have to be longer with 4 shots, but the total time it take of course depends on how long delay it is between the 4 exposures.
With 4 exposures you get a 2 stop advantage in noise, so you can increase ISO 2 stops without any added noise (compared to one exposure), which also lead to two stops faster shutter speed for each shot.
One 1/40s shot at ISO100 will get the same exposure time/noise as 4 shots at 1/160s with ISO400.
04-24-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's what I meant about long exposure. If I set up the tripod and do an evening or nd400-1000 shot of about 50 seconds or so, I expect that this will now be multiplied by 4 making it an ultra long exposure

04-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It should works great with macro shots where you usally use a tripod anyway, the subject is static and you want a lot of fine details. Pixel shift with a macro lens, which usualyy are quite sharp, should give some outstanding results.
04-24-2015, 06:51 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What is neat about this site is that we are going to see all sorts of creative was people uses this new feature.
04-24-2015, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
It should works great with macro shots where you usally use a tripod anyway, the subject is static and you want a lot of fine details. Pixel shift with a macro lens, which usualyy are quite sharp, should give some outstanding results.
^This^ quite definitely. Add focus stacking and things get really interesting!

I'm also looking forward to shooting HDR panoramas with the technology... as soon as I can justify getting a "II" version of a camera I already have.
04-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #11

I'm hoping it would work for "scanning" my medium format slides. Right now it's still hard to extract the subtlety from the film and better colour detail should help I think.
04-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My guess is that the sensor records 4 back-to-back images with the mirror saying up and the shutter opening and closing, but perhaps it's all done electronically. We'll have to wait and find out!
I think you have guessed correctly. Long exposures should represent few issues except for the potential for "gaps" in the motion track at each sensor shift when a moving object is present.

Steve
04-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
We aren't sure but with a capability at over 8 frames a second I believe it could be very fast. But then again are they 4 shutter actuations ? Or is the new SR/Gyro and the shutter going to combine efforts and only open and close once while recording the 4 ultra high speed individual variations/shift ? We don't really know the details yet.
I went all in on this one because of landscapes only. I think anything else its capable of will be a bonus.
Im sure long exposures will work also.
In the Q&A portion of the Press Release Ricoh states Pixel Shift will use the sensor's electronic shutter, so the mirror will stay up. Pixel Shift apparently combines LiveView and IBIS. The limiting factor for FPS is apparently the read speed of the sensor (8.3 FPS on the K-3II sensor). Whether the shutter moves once or four times isn't clear.
04-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh states Pixel Shift will use the sensor's electronic shutter, so the mirror will stay up.
I took this to mean that the shutter would stay up too - otherwise why use the electronic shutter? It would certainly seem to make sense to avoid using the mechanical shutter to avoid any possibility of vibration.

I think if I were using this feature for landscape I would probably always make a 'normal' exposure as well as the pixel-shifted set so that if there are any artifacts produced by moving leaves etc. I could remove those by blending in from the normal shot. Landscapes where absolutely nothing moves are quite rare. This technique could work quite well for cityscapes and such, where there are relatively small elements which you know will move.
04-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Collectables prone to forgeries

I'm wondering where the practical applications would be for the pixel shift technology.

I imagine that product photography would benefit, as well as perfectly static landscapes and architectural shots.

Seems like it wouldn't be as valuable for landscapes with motion, I.e., moving leaves, water motion or architecture/city shots where there are people or cars moving.

Of course, things in motion are out.
Registered collectables will be impossible to fake if one has ultra high rez photos at the insurance company.