Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, I do stacking also but pixel shifting brings more to the table than just noise removal by stacking. The samples provided to date reveal remarkable color fidelity and increased resolution that you cannot get from stacking images. The only downside I see is that any 3rd party photoprocessing apps will likely need to be retooled to handle the new pixel-shifted files so we will all be stuck using PDCU for a while.

04-24-2015, 01:39 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The only downside I see is that any 3rd party photoprocessing apps will likely need to be retooled to handle the new pixel-shifted files so we will all be stuck using PDCU for a while.
The stats for the example images indicate they are in-camera JPEG from RAW. I may be wrong, but I think that infers that the output would be a standard PEF or DNG. This would make sense in that the pixel shifting is not technically an image merge such as with HDR. Instead, it is an oversampling to each photosite...a low-level processing operation.

Steve
04-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic if true. Will be revealed soon enough.
04-24-2015, 04:13 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The stats for the example images indicate they are in-camera JPEG from RAW. I may be wrong, but I think that infers that the output would be a standard PEF or DNG. This would make sense in that the pixel shifting is not technically an image merge such as with HDR. Instead, it is an oversampling to each photosite...a low-level processing operation.
There would simply be no de-mosaic operation for the raw file converter. I'm betting this feature simply requires a DNG raw file output.

The latest DNG specifications (from Adobe, and included in ACR 8.8 and later) includes options for transparent pixels, multi-image panoramas, and floating point brightness values (32-bit files, or true HDR). Unsurprisingly, these are many of the same "features" added to the Lightroom CC that just came out. Having them encoded into DNG means that the raw formats our Pentax cameras spit out can include lots more information than proprietary raws. Who knows - maybe the in-camera HDR will come out as a true 32-bit file someday?

04-25-2015, 12:50 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
To be able to get 645Z IQ out of a $1000 APS-C DSLR seems nice.
04-25-2015, 03:34 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
has there been mention yet of the extra processing time it will take per image in k3ii?
04-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
has there been mention yet of the extra processing time it will take per image in k3ii?
We will have to wait for the reviews as well as owner's reports. The difference may well be minimal if any. The pixel shift will likely only require a few milliseconds to accomplish and once done, the processing would be similar to a standard exposure (not a merged exposure as with HDR).

Steve