Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 II pixel shift resized. Wow factor.

I have download the images from the Ricoh site, those with the pixel shift ON. Woow. beyond excellent. I have made pixel pipping at 100%, at 150, and finally at 200%. Amazing results.At 150%, it looks like a normal picture, or better.

So, I have made a resize at 150%, in Faststone, not the very best program for this type of job. I can't tell the difference from a normal image. And the size is 9024x6000 = 54Mp !!!

This feature is a killer. and if the K-FF will have two procesors, to gain speed at proccesing images, so that a pixel shift image to be recorded in a very short time, that camera will be sensational.

This is a 100% crop from the resized image of 9024x6000 pixels.

Attached Images

04-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Yep......Mmmmmm.....K3II.....Pixel Shift Mind Control !
04-24-2015, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Err.. to me that looks like a crop.
04-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

And check this out... opened in the default image editor "Preview" on a mac, and click the GPS window in the "Inspector" and you can see where it was taken.

Last edited by normhead; 04-24-2015 at 08:41 AM.
04-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Err.. to me that looks like a crop.
It is....a crop of a crop !

---------- Post added 04-24-15 at 11:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And check this out... opened in the default image editor "Preview" on a mac, and click the GPS window in the "Inspector and you can see where it was taken.
That's it ! Normhead....Im sold.....Im In ....... Who would have ever thunk ?
I gotta get the "Bugs" out of my head....lol.
04-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's a crop of a resize. At upper left corner you can see the size of the image. in small greenish letters.

The geolocation is working also on Windows. If you click the Google Earth icon that's down on metadata it start the Google Earth and it send you to the site. Same with the Google Maps icon.

A dream for architects this camera will be
04-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The GPS part is kind of cool sometimes. I have for instance a picture taken from a boat (with a K5 and O-GPS) and in the exif the boat speed is recorded, and the direction we where traveling in, plus of course the direction I was shooting.
04-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
It's a crop of a resize. At upper left corner you can see the size of the image. in small greenish letters.

The geolocation is working also on Windows. If you click the Google Earth icon that's down on metadata it start the Google Earth and it send you to the site. Same with the Google Maps icon.

A dream for architects this camera will be
A dream of guys like me who shoot in wild places.....I still want to see how the pixel shift affects high ISO images....and how high it shifts the ISO of a clean image in terms of noise reduction.. Like does pixels shift clean up 6400 ISO image taken in a dark alley, or give some colour depth to the shadows in the foreground of a sunset? These for me are the big questions.

04-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter

A dream of guys like me who shoot in wild places.....I still want to see how the pixel shift affects high ISO images....and how high it shifts the ISO of a clean image in terms of noise reduction.. Like does pixels shift clean up 6400 ISO image taken in a dark alley, or give some colour depth to the shadows in the foreground of a sunset? These for me are the big questions.
I agree...the potential here is significant for landscape shooters. My question is whether they can deliver the PS image as a single out-of-camera PEF or DNG.

Steve
04-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Everything I've read about pixel shift says it needs a tripod. If that's the case you won't be shooting handheld and won't have much occasion to use high ISO.

Ricoh did show a high ISO sample with reduced color noise. I think the theoretical limit from 4 images is 2 stops of noise reduction.
04-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Big questions? If it works half as good as the samples, this is the camera you've been waiting for: weather-sealed, compact, ultra-high resolution, lower-noise, built-in GPS, takes all your old lenses... just check the resale value on your other camera bodies now.
04-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I remember a rumor way back befor the original K-3 was released that the K-3 would use pixel shifting and that the results would be on par with 645D. I wonder if this technology has been in the works for a while and that maybe the original K-3 will be able to do this as well via firmware. Wishfull thinking I guess.
04-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe different motor, so maybe not.
04-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I want to see how much more robust the astrotracker is compared to the O-GPS1.

Of course, what this ALSO means is you can now use the GPS function along with a flash unit. No O-GPS1 to hog up the hot shoe.

Even moreso, if they stick these functions into the full frame I may be forced to do some major butt-smooching of the spousal unit come next tax season.
04-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Just take a bunch of images and put them together in photoshop. Here is three crops from todays test. First image is a standard 24 MP Pentax K-3 image f5.6, 1/400 ISO640. Second is multiple images put together to a 96 MP image and downsampled to 24 MP. ISO640 and 800. Third is a crop from the 96 MP. Goto Flickr and click on the image to see it in 100%

---------- Post added 04-24-15 at 10:00 PM ----------

And Yes, having it in camera would be really sweet...

Less noise, more detail.