04-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Yes.....its imbedded in the Images and now firmly stuck in my brain....lol

---------- Post added 04-25-15 at 01:50 AM ----------

Ummm...I pre ordered 2 days ago.
I know you did, consider yourself a Pioneer.... I for one will be awaiting your personal thoughts on its performance, hope it surpassed your expectations....

04-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
the K3ii is still an very enticing camera, and I hope that the tweak to the sensor puts it at or better than D7200 levels.
+1....I kinda am too and keeping my fingers crossed.

---------- Post added 04-25-15 at 02:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I know you did, consider yourself a Pioneer.... I for one will be awaiting your personal thoughts on its performance, hope it surpassed your expectations....
Im real excited....I guess that's kinda obvious. Never been this excited over a camera in my life. I check this forum about 200 timeas a day looking for new tidbits....lol.
Stavri....You have always been kind to me on here and I appreciate that. If possible will give you the heads up before I post my findings here , but someone will most likely have done it long before me.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-24-2015 at 11:18 AM.
04-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1....I kinda am too and keeping my fingers crossed.
There hasn't been a mediocre Ricoh/Pentax dslr in along time (yes the, K01, KS1 are still awesome), have no fret, the K3ii will deliver...
04-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I was vacillating on taking advantage of the current K3 pricing with the grip prior to this announcement so I started vacillating again on whether to pre order the K3 ll then all of a sudden a great deal came available for a Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG HSM OS for K mount, since the longest lens I own at present is the DA 55-300mm WR and I am still completely happy with my K5 lls plus I just picked up a gimbal head, guess what won out. Here birdie, birdie, birdies!!!!

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 04-24-2015 at 12:14 PM.
04-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
I'm gonna order 10 bodies. No, make that 12.
04-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We won't know till the end of the year at the earliest, to really know if the K3II, the FF or just waiting - was/is the right approach. The intrepid early adopters of both, along with the various reviewers - will eventually start publishing their comments and comparisons.

Last I checked, my K5IIs still took wonderful images...

04-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are no bugs in my head.
04-25-2015, 06:40 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Gimmick? Did you look at the sample images? Maybe for some but for others this is a game changer. I shoot 80% of my shots on a tripod. Probably nearly all of the 'keepers' are on a tripod. That's outside for landscape and wildlife and in the studio. This is going to do simply amazing things for product photography.
Yes to studio shots because we can work in a controlled environment. Landscapes, though, have to contend with the wind due to quadrupled exposure time from pixel shift. Wildlife movement will also cause exposure time issues.

I'm not worried because pixel shift will have an off button when outdoor conditions warrant.

---------- Post added 04-25-15 at 09:46 AM ----------

I expected a higher launch price due to the history of launch high, drop quickly. Starting at $1100 sounds fair. I might be an early adopter on the K3ii, then send my surplus K5 for a full spectrum conversion (astrophotography and dabbling in IR landscapes).

04-25-2015, 07:04 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Maybe Pentax made a slight mistake when they called it a "Field Camera" and advertise it as such ?
In the west where I do all my shooting wind is rarely a deterrent because of movement. I don't plan on using PSR all the time. But when I want it have that option.... kinda like who shoots in HDR all the time ?
If there is a scene I really want to work with that I want to get the most out of.....then I will use it. Last time I checked rocks and sandstone don't move much in the wind. If I set up the tripod im not going to be leaving in 60 seconds and will deal with it if it does .
Im sure PSR will have quite a few limitations , but also some unexplored creative uses also.
None of knows much of anything at this point but the way I look at it is this....If it doesn't work out for me with the K3II what have I lost or gained ?
At the very least I have gained ?..... Astro , GPS , 1 stop of SR , better AF , and a gizmo/gimmick (as I heard it called here by a few) that is lacking or mediocre at best.......What have I lost ?..... A Pop-up flash that I have always hated anyway !...................For me it was/is worth it as I still have a great camera either way !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-25-2015 at 07:35 AM.
04-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Landscapes, though, have to contend with the wind due to quadrupled exposure time from pixel shift.
I think you are making an assumption regarding the exposure time. The exposure time will be longer, but probably only by a few milliseconds. That would increase the probability of subject motion, but as a landscape photographer, it has been my experience that it it is hard to work around wind and leaves even with relatively high shutter speeds.*

Steve

* Seldom shoot faster than 1/250s for landscapes and that is not enough to stop fluttering leaves.
04-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think you are making an assumption regarding the exposure time. The exposure time will be longer, but probably only by a few milliseconds. That would increase the probability of subject motion, but as a landscape photographer, it has been my experience that it it is hard to work around wind and leaves even with relatively high shutter speeds.*

Steve

* Seldom shoot faster than 1/250s for landscapes and that is not enough to stop fluttering leaves.
Pixel shift takes 4 subframes and combines them. Each of the subframes will probably be as long as a proper exposure without pixel shift. As an example, let's say we're using a 1/100 shutter speed. Pixels shift will take 4 photos, yielding a total exposure time of around 1/25.

If pixel shift did not take longer and instead kept the 1/100 total for all 4 subframes, each subframe would only get 1/400 second. Each subframe would be underexposed by 2 stops. That would hurt colors, shadows, and noise.
04-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Pixel shift takes 4 subframes and combines them. Each of the subframes will probably be as long as a proper exposure without pixel shift. As an example, let's say we're using a 1/100 shutter speed. Pixels shift will take 4 photos, yielding a total exposure time of around 1/25.

If pixel shift did not take longer and instead kept the 1/100 total for all 4 subframes, each subframe would only get 1/400 second. Each subframe would be underexposed by 2 stops. That would hurt colors, shadows, and noise.
Sounds right either way but we just don't know yet. Im thinking it will be the second scenario , but those same 4 underexposed images will be multiplied times 4 ...... + Pentax magic !
04-26-2015, 08:44 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
Get both so you can have the k3ii to extend the reach of your tele lenses vs full frame if you are planning to upgrade to the K3ii
If the FF has a crop mode (seems likely), this may not be necessary.
04-26-2015, 09:15 PM   #29
Pentaxian

K-3 II is nice, but I want the low-light, high ISO quality advantage of a larger sensor. So Pentax FF is still the go for me.

I also think they will do some extra fancy stuff with the FF, like a flippy screen and a turbo-charged AF system, so that's worth waiting for.
04-26-2015, 09:32 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I cant afford even the K3II I just ordered , but kinda hoping to get two exact bodies I feel complete confidence in. The 2 K30's are great , but just lacking once in a while for larger prints and higher resolution. The K3 I have(sold today) is great too but I don't know LR like I should and the higher ISO noise frustrates me at times. Never quite warmed up to it all the way. I don't know if Im expecting too much , but didn't take much of a hit at all upgrading to this new one as I was getting ready to get the astrotracer anyway so just about broke even when its all done.
FF just lost some of its luster temporarily at least , and in the end I will know for sure what the right choice is for me if I hadn't upgraded at least temporarily.

Dianor, you're after larger prints, higher resolution, less high ISO noise ... but then went for an upgraded K3 with the same sensor as the one you've sold rather than FF?