Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Put Pentax FF on hold for the K3II

I don't know if anyone else here has the same thought , but Im shelving the whole Pentax FF purchase idea for a while in leu of this K3II I pre ordered.
Would be silly to get FF if this baby delivers like I hope it will.
If the K3II delivers as hoping , then maybe I will rid myself of the two K30's and get a second K3II. Really keeping my fingers crossed and may be just venting a bit to get the "Bugs" out of my head.....lol.

04-24-2015, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I don't know if anyone else here has the same thought , but Im shelving the whole Pentax FF purchase idea for a while in leu of this K3II I pre ordered.
Would be silly to get FF if this baby delivers like I hope it will.
If the K3II delivers as hoping , then maybe I will rid myself of the two K30's and get a second K3II. Really keeping my fingers crossed and may be just venting a bit to get the "Bugs" out of my head.....lol.
I know you enjoy shooting landscapes my friend, perhaps you need to wait for the FF release and then chose between the two. The K3ii is not a terribly expensive camera though, one might be able to afford getting them both
04-24-2015, 09:10 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
one might be able to afford getting them both
Ricoh's secret plan is revealed........................
04-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although the jury is not out on the K3ii yet, in my long discussions contemplating about the specs of the future K3ii I wrote that in my opinion there needs to be a new sensor on the K3ii (with improved DR and high ISO) for the users to jump ship wholeheartedly. If the sensor remains the same, and these features (apart from GPS) are clever technical additions via software optimization I personally wouldn't see a reason to upgrade (especially with the FF looming large in the horizon) even if Ricoh doesn't give is existing K3 users any freebies with future firmware updates. This is coming from a Birding/macro shooter, but I know that the OP is primarily a landscape aficionado. Looking at the FF rumored pricing, I think I'll personally require to save every dollar I can manage......

Last edited by Stavri; 04-24-2015 at 09:47 AM.
04-24-2015, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have no plans for either one.
04-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Well... I am about to come to a very different conclusion. Most probably I will skip the K3 II and get the FF when available.
This is of course something everyone has to work out for him/herself depending on your preferences, type of photography etc
04-24-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know you enjoy shooting landscapes my friend, perhaps you need to wait for the FF release and then chose between the two. The K3ii is not a terribly expensive camera though, one might be able to afford getting them both
I cant afford even the K3II I just ordered , but kinda hoping to get two exact bodies I feel complete confidence in. The 2 K30's are great , but just lacking once in a while for larger prints and higher resolution. The K3 I have(sold today) is great too but I don't know LR like I should and the higher ISO noise frustrates me at times. Never quite warmed up to it all the way. I don't know if Im expecting too much , but didn't take much of a hit at all upgrading to this new one as I was getting ready to get the astrotracer anyway so just about broke even when its all done.

Now on the K3II they are touting improved Noise/ISO , better color , and of course the new Ultra High Definition resolution. So far Im really excited at the latest image comparisons. I know there has been issues discussed about the K3 sensor and people not completely satisfied with having to learn to deal with it , but this K3II just may be the ticket for me and seems to be exactly what im looking for.

FF just lost some of its luster temporarily at least , and in the end I will know for sure what the right choice is for me if I hadn't upgraded at least temporarily.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-24-2015 at 10:36 AM.
04-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The K3 is already a great camera. I suspect the K3ii's pixel shift is mostly a gimick, theoretically great but limited in practice. Pixel shift needs a tripod and zero movement in the scene. Even a tiny bit of wind can vibrate the tripod and ruin pixel shift.
04-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Although the jury is not out on the K3ii yet, in my long discussions contemplating about the specs of the future K3ii I wrote that in my opinion there needs to be a new sensor on the K3ii (with improved DR and high ISO) for the users to jump ship wholeheartedly. If the sensor remains the same, and these features (apart from GPS) are clever technical additions via software optimization I personally wouldn't see a reason to upgrade (especially with the FF looming large in the horizon) even if Ricoh doesn't give is existing K3 users any freebies with future firmware updates. This is coming from a Birding/macro shooter, but I know that the OP is primarily a landscape aficionado. Looking at the FF rumored pricing, I think I'll personally require to save every dollar I can manage......
That's kinda where I took a chance and after careful reading came to the conclusion that a firmware upgrade wasn't getting me Pixel shift EVER on my K3 as there appears to some new hardware ? In the so far released specs I think it was clear enough..... Thanks to its "NEW UPGRADED / NEW GENERATION / NEW HIGH PRECISION GYRO SENSOR / NEW PIXEL SHIFT RESOLUTION SYSTEM" .....I took that to mean the K3 didn't have the required hardware to do that as Pixel Shift requires it.
That's what Im going after.....all the rest is just "icing on the cake" so to say.
Im banking the K3 will NEVER get Pixel Shift from a firmware upgrade from what seems obvious at the release/specs announcement.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-24-2015 at 11:00 AM.
04-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The K3 is already a great camera. I suspect the K3ii's pixel shift is mostly a gimick,
Gimmick? Did you look at the sample images? Maybe for some but for others this is a game changer. I shoot 80% of my shots on a tripod. Probably nearly all of the 'keepers' are on a tripod. That's outside for landscape and wildlife and in the studio. This is going to do simply amazing things for product photography.
04-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The K3 is already a great camera. I suspect the K3ii's pixel shift is mostly a gimick, theoretically great but limited in practice. Pixel shift needs a tripod and zero movement in the scene. Even a tiny bit of wind can vibrate the tripod and ruin pixel shift.
Im sure its going to be limited in practice. However I am one of the old choolers who uses a heavier tripod weighted with a bag of rocks at times. Most of the rocks and landscpes I shoot aren't moving very fast in the next 1 million years. If it is a gimmick why the new SR/Gyro mechanism ? The WHOLE forum will know because Im about to find out.....lol
04-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Ricoh's secret plan is revealed........................
I thought the bugs in his head were Ricoh's secret!

Also, I think full-color mode on moving scenes will be the next Great Art Form.. keep the 3d glasses handy!
04-24-2015, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im sure its going to be limited in practice. However I am one of the old choolers who uses a heavier tripod weighted with a bag of rocks at times. Most of the rocks and landscpes I shoot aren't moving very fast in the next 1 million years. If it is a gimmick why the new SR/Gyro mechanism ? The WHOLE forum will know because Im about to find out.....lol
When the K3ii was rumored, I got very excited, especially when I got "news" that it would bring much more to the plate then the official release was stating. At the time I was rambling on about how Sony keeps the Tier 1 sensor to themselves, and sells them only later when the tech has depreciated a bit. This drew the attention of a member who was in close talks with Ricoh and he shared with me their discussed vision for the K3ii and the future. Albeit through the discussions a lot more was promised (only a fraction delivered), new (latest sony) sensor with top-of-the-class aps-c performance, upgraded/updated processor (which would have translated to higher FPS, and faster speeds), new AF module etc. I professed (since I assumed that all these features would take place) that the K3-K3ii transition would be "unprecedented"...but the truth was a more conservative mid-model upgrade that we see. I know see how unrealistic my expectations were...
Now you see why the official unveiling left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I don't want to discredit Ricoh, the K3ii is still an very enticing camera, and I hope that the tweaks to the sensor puts it at or better than D7200 levels.

When the euphoria and of the new gear wears off, we're left with a piece of tech that speaks through pictures. My advice is to wait a little longer, so we all get a better picture of what the K3ii has to offer. You'll still get a chance to buy a K3ii in fall, or next year for that matter.

Last edited by Stavri; 04-24-2015 at 11:08 AM.
04-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I thought the bugs in his head were Ricoh's secret!

Also, I think full-color mode on moving scenes will be the next Great Art Form.. keep the 3d glasses handy!
Yes.....its imbedded in the Images and now firmly stuck in my brain....lol

---------- Post added 04-25-15 at 01:50 AM ----------

I'm not a fan of the long-format journalism. When the euphoria and of the new gear wears off, we're left with a piece of tech that speaks through pictures. My advice is to wait a little longer, so we all get a better picture of what the K3ii has to offer. You'll still get a chance to buy a K3ii in fall, or next year for that matter.
Ummm...I pre ordered 2 days ago.
04-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I offer free services in K3 disposal for those upgrading. For details on where to send your unwanted k3, please send me a pm and I'll send you my address. Haha

On a serious note, while the super resolution modes would be great for shooting landscapes, I agree with previous posters that full frame is ideal for that. Get both so you can have the k3ii to extend the reach of your tele lenses vs full frame if you are planning to upgrade to the K3ii