Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3ii isn't even for sale yet and you're already not going to buy one.
Maybe you need a K-Sii instead of a K-3ii. It has an articulating screen, Selfie button, flash, no GPS, no resolution or shake-reduction upgrades, and it is actually for sale.

04-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
How long till this thread turns to cheese?

I'm not buying the K-3 II because it doesn't say Ricoh on the back.
Wait, what? The mark II doesn't say Ricoh on the back? Well, I'm sold right there! Oh boy, I hope it says Canikon instead....
04-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
How about the DA 560 ?

Wrong question. Wrong question. Wrong question.
04-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

04-27-2015, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Moot point

The first thing one should consider when making a judgment call on whether they need to buy a high end APS-C, because in reality very very few of us really do. I'm a macro/wildlife aficionado and my K3 makes up less than 7% of my total investment in Pentax camera gear (and Pentax is all I own). I don't care whether the K3ii is priced at $1100 or $1600, it's just chump change compared to how much I've spent on lenses and accessories. (A Wimberly gimbal head is $400-600, which is quite a statement for a piece of metal with no electronics or optics of some kind.)

All top APS-C cameras are designed for professionals and adopted by everyone. For those (like myself) who don't make a living shooting photographs there's an inherent dimension of bravado that goes into buying "the best current APS-C camera available by a manufacturer." If one uses inexpensive zooms then much like the human brain they're using a fraction of its potential. The K3 and K3ii is meant to be used with high-premium quality glass adhering to the quality standards set by the industry for large prints. Most DA* primes and zooms match or surpass the price of the K3/ii. People who complain about the "lack" of features on a K5/ii/s or K3/ii need to leave polemics aside and do more shooting...
04-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think most people who own a K3 will upgrade, at least not unless they have to have the latest greatest camera.

That doesn't mean that the differences aren't real and it may be that once photos start coming out, more people will become interested in it. Better auto focus, pixel shift, and then there will be folks who start shooting night skies who didn't before.

I personally will be probably wait on the full frame camera -- not because the k3 II isn't a real upgrade (it is) for a reasonable price, but because I don't think I can afford two new cameras in one year and I think I want the full frame camera in the fall.

But, the full frame camera will not have a pop flash, by all accounts and so that will probably be a deal killer for a lot of folks.
04-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #22
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had cheese for lunch. So I'll wade into the gooey mess

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think most people who own a K3 will upgrade, at least not unless they have to have the latest greatest camera.
Absolutely true.

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
1. No flash. Yes, I have an external flash unit, but it's cumbersome to carry around everywhere on the off chance that I will need it for a spur-of-the moment shot. With the K-3, flash capability is always with me. 2. The GPS unit on the K-3 II is superfluous. I have an external GPS unit for the K-3 that works just fine if I choose to use it. I'd rather carry that (it's tiny) than an external flash (it's bulky).
Yes, but I have an external flash, and I don't have a GPS unit. So if I want a second body to go with my K5 (and also something that does AF a bit better) the K3-II is now a compelling choice. Not only is it an upgrade but it gives me different capabilities. This makes it a more interesting choice than the internal debate I was having between a K5-IIs and a K3 - neither of which I could really justify getting.

04-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
We had stuffed shells with cheese last night for dinner. Very good.
We had broiled salmon, asparagus ravioli, and salad. Delicious. Lol
04-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a K3 ii. As in the same camera with updates. It's not a new camera. What would be the logic in upgrading from one K-3 to another other then too much money?
04-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

There's no need to apologize to Pentax (or Ricoh, for that matter). I doubt if the success of their business operations depends on your purchasing decisions. Anyway, I don't think the K-3ii is aimed at current K-3 owners, but rather those looking to upgrade from an earlier model.
04-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
A Tommy's chili cheeseburger sounds good right now
Oh heck yes - getting the car keys
04-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Huh, I wasn't planning to buy one either, nor are 4 of my cats and my fish. That's now 7 out of 7 beings I've surveyed who aren't going to buy the k3ii - a large enough sample that I conclude this camera is going to be an utter failure.
04-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Huh, I wasn't planning to buy one either, nor are 4 of my cats and my fish. That's now 7 out of 7 beings I've surveyed who aren't going to buy the k3ii - a large enough sample that I conclude this camera is going to be an utter failure.
Pentax is dooooomed!!!!!
04-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Umm...Ok. Thanks for sharing this I guess.
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Exactly my thoughts
What they said....

BTW, you know the last time something like this was posted, the OP became something of a legend...sort of like D. B. Cooper

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-27-2015 at 12:16 PM.
04-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I'm not buying a K-3II because I already have a K-5 ===> 5>3
Closed Thread