Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, Pentax - I'm NOT buying the K-3 II.

Let me preface this by saying I have perfectly satisfactory K-3. It meets my needs in almost all respects.

What I don't like about the K-3 II as announced:

1. No flash. Yes, I have an external flash unit, but it's cumbersome to carry around everywhere on the off chance that I will need it for a spur-of-the moment shot. With the K-3, flash capability is always with me.

2. The GPS unit on the K-3 II is superfluous. I have an external GPS unit for the K-3 that works just fine if I choose to use it. I'd rather carry that (it's tiny) than an external flash (it's bulky).

3, Marginally sharper pictures with a tripod? Sorry. I take many such pictures, and in post-processing I can make very sharp pics apparently even sharper. If it takes pixel-peeping to see any real difference, I really don't want it. The real sharpness comes from the quality of the lens - the Limited series is outstanding. If the color isn't the way you like it, shoot RAW and correct it in post. If you downsize the picture for posting on the internet, any difference disappears. If you could use this feature without having to use a tripod, that would be well and good, but apparently you haven't figured that out yet. Too much fuss and bother for very minimal benefit.

4. You would think with this "upgrade" you would feature an articulating display on the back of the camera. Useful for down-low shots, shots where the camera is held overhead, selfies, etc. This is a major boo-boo.

5. Better shake reduction? That's nice, but if you want sharper hand-held shots, there are many paths to this. Better stabilization of the person taking the photos, faster shutter speed, higher f/stop, etc. Again, nothing to write home about. In the film era, I got along fine without ANY stabilization. That's why tripods were invented. There is always one in the trunk of my car.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll pass. Better luck next time.

John

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 04-27-2015 at 10:10 AM.
04-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

This was the easy update for R.Pentax, you are asking for more than a"II" update will offer. I suspect that the new fullRGB mode and Astrotracer use the same components, so internalizing that unit was necessary.

From my perspective it's either flash or GPS in my pocket so no real difference. If GPS or micro pixel shift are not relevant the II is a bad fit in your kit.
04-27-2015, 09:45 AM - 8 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Umm...Ok. Thanks for sharing this I guess.
04-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Umm...Ok. Thanks for sharing this I guess.
Exactly my thoughts

04-27-2015, 09:49 AM - 6 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

change your panties. I think they must have a knot in them.
04-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I've hardly ever used the inbuilt flash, so I don't mind. But GPS is not main argument to upgrade for me either (already bought O-GPS1). I'll wait to see FF price level. If reasonable I'll keep my K-3 (for telephoto usage) and buy the FF. If FF price will turn crazy, I'll probably buy K-3 II and keep my K-3 as a second camera.
04-27-2015, 09:50 AM - 6 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How long till this thread turns to cheese?

I'm not buying the K-3 II because it doesn't say Ricoh on the back.

04-27-2015, 10:00 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We had stuffed shells with cheese last night for dinner. Very good.
04-27-2015, 10:03 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I have to Ignore many more threads there won't be anything to do here but look at pictures.
04-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If I have to Ignore many more threads there won't be anything to do here but look at pictures.
Man, that's gonna suck...
04-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
Let me preface this by saying a have perfectly satisfactory K-3. It meets my needs in almost all respects.

What I don't like about the K-3 II as announced:

1. No flash. Yes, I have an external flash unit, but it's cumbersome to carry around everywhere on the off chance that I will need it for a spur-of-the moment shot. With the K-3, flash capability is always with me.

2. The GPS unit on the K-3 II is superfluous. I have an external GPS unit for the K-3 that works just fine if I choose to use it. I'd rather carry that (it's tiny) than an external flash (it's bulky).

3, Marginally sharper pictures with a tripod? Sorry. I take many such pictures, and in post-processing I can make very sharp pics apparently even sharper. If it takes pixel-peeping to see any real difference, I really don't want it. The real sharpness comes from the quality of the lens - the Limited series is outstanding. If the color isn't the way you like it, shoot RAW and correct it in post. If you downsize the picture for posting on the internet, any difference disappears. If you could use this feature without having to use a tripod, that would be well and good, but apparently you haven't figured that out yet. Too much fuss and bother for very minimal benefit.

4. You would think with this "upgrade" you would feature an articulating display on the back of the camera. Useful for down-low shots, shots where the camera is held overhead, selfies, etc. This is a major boo-boo.

5. Better shake reduction? That's nice, but if you want sharper hand-held shots, there are many paths to this. Better stabilization of the person taking the photos, faster shutter speed, higher f/stop, etc. Again, nothing to write home about. In the film era, I got along fine without ANY stabilization. That's why tripods were invented. There is always one in the trunk of my car.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll pass. Better luck next time.

John

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page
Looks like some compelling arguments indeed.
04-27-2015, 10:06 AM - 4 Likes   #12

A Tommy's chili cheeseburger sounds good right now

04-27-2015, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

And so? I don't think I will upgrade from the K-3 either, not for any of the reasons you outline, but just like I didn't upgrade to the K5II. Not quite enough.

But if the choice is the K3 or K3II, there are compelling reasons to go for the second, unless you want a built in flash.

I view this as a manufacturing refresh; I am surprised they did it at all considering the engineering resources involved in the other projects they have in the pipe. There are probably a bunch of changes on the inside that we can't see that decrease the manufacturing costs.

Ricoh isn't planning on living on the upgrade itch cycle of current owners. In fact they probably would be far happier if I spent the money on a lens, which I probably will do.
04-27-2015, 10:18 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Sorry Pentax I am not buying the 645z. it's great picture quality and all but why did you make it so huge? It scare's my cat. And it doesn't have a flash and it costs way too much. Yeah it has weather sealing but when it rains I am inside because I hate the rain. Don't need it. And no brown and Pink version? Come on! Put some effort in it. Better luck next time Pentax!
04-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
Sorry, Pentax - I'm NOT buying the K-3 II.
That's no problem at all if you don't buy a K-3II. However, are you sure that you have all the lenses that you need? all accessories? Do you have a grip?
At the end of the day, it's ok if you don't buy a K-3II, as long as you buy something, the money still will goes to Ricoh Imaging.

Look, I'm like you, I won't buy a K-3II, but I'm looking at a super tele lens. How about the DA 560 ?
Closed Thread