Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
(Oh look its that time again) Best time to buy a K3?

Hey all, been meaning to buy a K3 sometime in the next two months, in addition to my K5, ready for the summer festival season. Wasn't aware of the K3-II announcement until I checked today, and am now wondering what the best way to do this is...

Is it likely that K3 prices will plummet now as people free up funds, or would it be best to wait until after it's released?

appreciating any advice

Callum

04-27-2015, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From the general sentiment here at PF, It seems a great number of K3 owners are not going to make the transition to K3ii. If you're looking for bottom prices on the K3, the best time to get one will be around the arrival of the new full frame camera at the end of this year.
04-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there will be a few used K-3's that will pop up in the marketplace, but retail new non grey market bodies won't drop much until around the November black Friday time frame.
04-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I picked up an ex-demo k-3 recently - with enough of a discount to add the gps unit if I wanted one. It's probably worth your while keeping an eye out for similar deals, otherwise I'd expect a sudden surge in k-3's appearing in octoberish on an eBay near you

04-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pwn4g3_P13 Quote
Hey all, been meaning to buy a K3 sometime in the next two months, in addition to my K5, ready for the summer festival season. Wasn't aware of the K3-II announcement until I checked today, and am now wondering what the best way to do this is...

Is it likely that K3 prices will plummet now as people free up funds, or would it be best to wait until after it's released?

appreciating any advice

Callum
The K-3 is already very cheap, so I'd say that now is the time to buy. It may drop further over the course of the coming months, but I think it will be a slow and gradual decline, so you may as well treat yourself to the upgrade right away

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

When I got the K-3, it was lower than now - $599. Many places still sell used K-3s for more than that, which makes me think the prices are quite stable. I would just get it soon.
04-27-2015, 09:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Logically, if I were to visit my local store and the K-3 and K-3ii were the same price (unless I needed the on board flash) I'd be inclined to by the K-3ii. I'd expect that we'll see the K-3ii at higher prices though, rather then the K-3 dropping in value. And by the time the K-3ii drops in price many retailers will have sold their K-3's.......