Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #1

K-3 JPEG Custom Image Settings

Is it possible to change the jpeg custom image settings after it has been shot in camera or otherwise? i.e. change a jpeg from 'Natural' to 'Bright' profile?

Thanks

04-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you shot in RAW, then it's possible and you can do so either in-camera or via the PDCU software (or via third-party profiles). Otherwise no.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-28-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

A JPEG produced in-camera has an initial shooting setting applied and 'baked in', so it's hard to 'unbake' the JPEG image once it's saved.

But, of course, you can simply use any image editor you like to modify your saved JPEG directly, and change a few brightness, saturation and contrast levels yourself. The result will probably bring you close to what a 'Vivid' custom image JPEG would look like.
04-29-2015, 12:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Pentax DCU software can actually do a decent job of this - changing a jpeg from one custom image to the next. It knows the intricacies of all custom image settings and is able to "unroll" one and apply another. It looks ok if the custom image in question is not too extreme.

Obviously it doesn't work with eg. the B&W custom image setting.

Regards,
--Anders.

04-29-2015, 03:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I figured out how to use the software to do it to the RAW files. I was shooting RAW+JPEG in a kayak and didn't realize the camera was changing the WB and custom image frequently as it rubbed on my life jacket. K-5 buttons never did that!
04-29-2015, 05:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Halco Quote
didn't realize the camera was changing the WB and custom image frequently as it rubbed on my life jacket.
I hate that. Similar things happens to me.
I wish there was a setting for 'lock all back buttons' when the camera is on, perhaps assignable/toggleable with one of the front buttons.