Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2015, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Is this a BUG ?
Don't know.

With a fast card like the 80 MB/s SanDisk Extreme (32 GB) it takes ca. (slightly less?) than 1 second from the image is taken until the review is shown. I will have to release the shutter button within that time, or the review will disappear when the shutter button is released. If taking JPG the time is even shorter (about half a second?). This time tends to bee a bit short to me. I tend to reckon this as bad design (if it is not a bug or camera failure).

There is also another annoyance with review in live view. Try using the 2 seconds IR-remote with review time set to "hold". How on earth do I get out of review without shooting a new image, which in tern results in a new review etc. etc. (OK, I know, I can use the focus button on my remote since I have the O-RC1, but then it will refocus)

Last edited by nozoom; 04-29-2015 at 01:51 PM.
04-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nozoom Quote
Don't know.

With a fast card like the 80 MB/s SanDisk Extreme (32 GB) it takes ca. (slightly less?) than 1 second from the image is taken until the review is shown. I will have to release the shutter button within that time, or the review will disappear when the shutter button is released. If taking JPG the time is even shorter (about half a second?). This time tends to bee a bit short to me. I tend to reckon this as bad design (if it is not a bug or camera failure).

There is also another annoyance with review in live view. Try using the 2 seconds IR-remote with review time set to "hold". How on earth do I get out of review without shooting a new image, which in tern results in a new review etc. etc. (OK, I know, I can use the focus button on my remote since I have the O-RC1, but then it will refocus)
Ok....that's kinda what Im experiencing to a degree.....you may be onto something here as the amount of time holding down a specific split second before releasing (at times at least) seems to have something to do with it ??
As far as using the IR remote ....That sounds simple....take it off of "Hold" and set it for 1-5 seconds in the menu ?Or maybe set it to manual focus so it wont refocus ? I had this happen also but cant remember the details of which camera and which remote.....Hmmmmm...interesting.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-29-2015 at 02:17 PM.
04-29-2015, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.take it off of "Hold" and set it for 3-5 seconds in the menu ?
Yes, of course. There is always a way around. However, I wished they had tested these parts of the camera GUI a bit more. No big problem though. Quirks or not: I hold the K3 for being a great camera! No doubts about that.
04-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, of course. There is always a way around. However, I wished they had tested these parts of the camera GUI a bit more. No big problem though. Quirks or not: I hold the K3 for being a great camera! No doubts about that.
I do too , but this issue , and a machine gun shutter yesterday using the battery grip , and a problem with a Sammy 14mm lens that works great on the K30's perfectly , but gives me fits on the K3 with far less than stellar resolution than the K30's......Im getting frustrated real bad.....real quick.
Im about ready to bail out and just go back to the K30's and stay there....it shouldn't be this way.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-29-2015 at 02:20 PM.
04-29-2015, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it shouldn't be this way
Yes, but do remember though, that even if 99.9% of the K3s worked OK, you would hear most about the last 0.1%...

Cheers
04-29-2015, 02:54 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, but do remember though, that even if 99.9% of the K3s worked OK, you would hear most about the last 0.1%...

Cheers
I know. Im just another Happily Disgruntled Pentax Lover....lol
04-29-2015, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lol! Are we not all there from time to time.
04-29-2015, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Put your camera in bulb mode and see if it holds the shutter open as long as you are pressing the shutter button. If it closes early your button is definitely on the fritz...

04-29-2015, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The easy solution, of course, is to just turn Instant Review off. First thing I do when I get a new camera.

Also, just to be clear, you are using Instant Review in combination with Live View? Have you set the Instant Review [Display Time] to [Hold]?
04-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Put your camera in bulb mode and see if it holds the shutter open as long as you are pressing the shutter button. If it closes early your button is definitely on the fritz...
Ok....nope. HOWEVER ??? Could formatting my SD card have anything to do with it ??? Would formatting increase write speed ??

---------- Post added 04-30-15 at 07:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The easy solution, of course, is to just turn Instant Review off. First thing I do when I get a new camera.

Also, just to be clear, you are using Instant Review in combination with Live View?
Its not really new....its my 2nd K3 but sat largely unused until last week.
Yes....using Instant review with live view. Shoot in live view with manual lens , and like to review with magnification at greater than 100% up to 16X on many images.
04-29-2015, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
using Instant review with live view.
I edited my original post, and added a suggestion that you set Instant Review to [Hold]. (p-33 of the manual). Does that work?
04-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I edited my original post, and added a suggestion that you set Instant Review to [Hold]. (p-33 of the manual). Does that work?
NO...made no difference....BUT....think Im onto something here....
I interchange cards between the K30 and K3.....could formatting my card have anything to do with it ??? I just formatted my card and I think its completely cured....Im checking as we speak.
04-29-2015, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Ok....nope. HOWEVER ??? Could formatting my SD card have anything to do with it ??? Would formatting increase write speed ??
It is not writing anything until you release the shutter -- it is just a long single exposure. The idea is to test if your button is "staying pressed" as long as you physically are pressing it -- in (B)ulb mode the mirror should stay up and the shutter should stay open until you release it. (Don't do it in live view to take that out of the equation.) So if you press (AND HOLD) and it stops the exposure before you release it then your button (or something -- some connection) is broken, period. (I suspect it would happen pretty fast based on your problems -- can you take a bulb exposure of more than a second or two?)
04-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK.....I just formatted my SD cards in camera. I believe its COMPLETELY CURED ! ???
Im checking and its doing like it should. Except when I really linger on the button keeping it depressed excessively long......still checking....checking.....

---------- Post added 04-30-15 at 07:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It is not writing anything until you release the shutter -- it is just a long single exposure. The idea is to test if your button is "staying pressed" as long as you physically are pressing it -- in (B)ulb mode the mirror should stay up and the shutter should stay open until you release it. (Don't do it in live view to take that out of the equation.) So if you press (AND HOLD) and it stops the exposure before you release it then your button (or something -- some connection) is broken, period. (I suspect it would happen pretty fast based on your problems -- can you take a bulb exposure of more than a second or two?)
Yes....bulb mode worked perfectly fine in LV and regular. I think its SD cards needing formatted....see recent posts.....I think its cured. Working perfect after 100 clicks...NO more issues at all.

---------- Post added 04-30-15 at 08:05 AM ----------

I really appreciate your help. When I tested B mode I did notice something. When I pressed the shutter and released it it stayed open until I pressed it the second time to end exposure ? I know this is a setting somewhere but couldn't find it ? Still would like to know where that is at in the menu ?

However right after this I formatted the cards and PRESTO.....its working right ! I don't understand this at all as to why exactly unless switching cards between the K3 and K30's has something corrupted or limited in some way on the SD cards ?
I know my K3 pretty good , but not 1000%....I know I had all the basic settings correct. Im just not sure why I spent Hrs trying to figure this out and all that happens is I format my card in camera ?? Can it be something as innocuous as that ??

UPDATE......Its Fixed. I don't know why but formatting my SD cards did it....or at least I think it did. Im at a loss for words......and Im still checking it every way I can think of.....working perfect. Tested 100 clicks and its working just like it should every time....YES ! But Im still in disbelief all it was was a SD card that was somehow at fault ???

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-29-2015 at 05:20 PM.
04-29-2015, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #30

I don't know why but my Instant review is almost unusable. I spend more time just trying to press/release the shutter button at exacty the right millisecond correctly to get instant review to even come up at all. It seems if I press the shutter for a millisecond too long , or a millisecond to short it just wont come up after the shot and gets ready for the next shot. At least 65%+ of the time it goes right back to Live View/screen for the next shot.
Its frustrating to have to hit the memory button to pull up the review each time when needed and Im tired of it. Its so frustrating compared to my K30's that work perfect in this respect and I need some kind of a real answer ?
I asked a while back about this and was told its a "Pro" quality and more sensitive shutter button.....well...that isn't cutting it at all anymore. Was also told I didn't know how to release the shutter correctly...RIGHT.....lol.
I need it to work for Gods sake and quit being so incrementally overly sensitive to where review works properly after each shot so I dont have to go pull it up each time with the memory button.
Shoot a lot of manual Legacy glass and like using Instant review frequently for various reasons. But on the K3 its yet another "glitch" that's starting to add up to a large ball of frustration for me and why it sits largely unused in its bag most of the time.
I want to think about my shot....not about a finicky shutter release for Instant Image Review to work !
BTW....it ONLY does this in liveview.
If you are using the battery grip, make sure it is turned off.