Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
If you are using the battery grip, make sure it is turned off.
NO...battery grip isn't being used .

---------- Post added 04-30-15 at 09:41 AM ----------

Can anyone Confirm that a SD card needing formatted could cause all this weird behavior being shared between cameras ??

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-29-2015 at 06:42 PM.
04-29-2015, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Every camera formats it's cards differently. Good to see that your problem has been solved.

I sometimes get problems when using cards between my RX-100 and NEX and Pentax cameras, for example, so always use one set of different cards per camera, and format those cards in the camera they are going to be used in.

It shouldn't happen that way, especially between Pentax cameras, but that's just how it is. There must be subtle differences between the file allocation table (or something) between K-3 and K-30 cards.
04-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Every camera formats it's cards differently. Good to see that your problem has been solved.

I sometimes get problems when using cards between my RX-100 and NEX and Pentax cameras, for example, so always use one set of different cards per camera, and format those cards in the camera they are going to be used in.

It shouldn't happen that way, especially between Pentax cameras, but that's just how it is. There must be subtle differences between the file allocation table (or something) between K-3 and K-30 cards.
If you only knew how much trouble this has caused me. I shoot almost exclusively manual mode and manual lenses so LV and Review are very important to me. I shelved my K3 for weeks on end at times and used the K30's exclusively .... always wondering what was wrong ? I changed no settings any differently than they have always been. Im in Awe that a SD card could do all this. However it sure looks like that's all it was.
Its been a BAD Camera day the last 24 hours....between this and a sudden Runaway shutter/mirror Flip with the battery grip last night I was about ready to Bash my head on a Tree ! Thanks everyone for all the input and concern. Will monitor it for a couple days and start formatting my cards before each use from now on and no more sharing between camera bodies and other devices.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-29-2015 at 07:01 PM.
04-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice catch. I am glad you worked it out. Keeping the cards dedicated is not a bad idea either. The K3 is writes to the card faster than the K30 and there just may be a hitch in the K30 formatting that the K3 has some trouble with, It just may be that you should format your cards in the K3 from now on.

04-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Nice catch. I am glad you worked it out. Keeping the cards dedicated is not a bad idea either. The K3 is writes to the card faster than the K30 and there just may be a hitch in the K30 formatting that the K3 has some trouble with, It just may be that you should format your cards in the K3 from now on.
Its not like I don't have a good supply of cards and was just saving them for whatever tight/frugal reason. Now there are 4 cards dedicated just to the K3 that I have numbered. Same with the K30's they now have 4 dedicated numbered cards that wont get swapped with anything else.
I believe it did have to do with the write speed somehow and that formatting cured it , as all the strange behavior is now gone.....completely.
There was a BUG allright...... "ONCE AGAIN IT WAS MY FAULT" and here I was pulling my hair out .......yet again.
04-30-2015, 03:35 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
as all the strange behavior is now gone.....completely.

Does the camera operate properly with the battery pack now too?
04-30-2015, 05:46 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does the camera operate properly with the battery pack now too?
Yes. However I don't think this had anything to do with it as I seemed to have the classic runaway shutter with batteries that were of uncertain charge status while using the battery grip for the very first time on this K3..
Charging the batteries eliminated that BEFORE I posted about the LV review problem. They weren't dead , but hadn't been fully charged for about 6 weeks.
Everything is hunky dory on LV review as I checked this morning for about the third time.

04-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very happy to hear this. Now, goeth thine own self forth and photograph yon wilderness in peace.
04-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very happy to hear this. Now, goeth thine own self forth and photograph yon wilderness in peace.
Thanks..... Im headed out first thing in the morning for a 4+ month.....PHOTOGRAPHY ROADTRIP ....Yes !
Was gonna leave this evening but there is a huge Estate Sale with Camera gear tomorrow at 9 I simply couldn't pass up...There is Pentax gear there !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-30-2015 at 12:56 PM.